A couple of questions

imp4gc

Registered Users (C)
1) Is it necessary to go through an attorney for filing for citizenship? Are there any advantages of going through an attorney? I inquired and they are all very expensive.

2) What date should we consider for the 5 year anniversary? - Date of Passport stamping? Date on GC? Date on I 485 approval notice?

Thanks.

No to aterney

Getting a Citizenship is very easy. You don't need atterney..! Just visit uscis.gov web site if you have any questions regarding neturlizatioon..!

The date you arrived in USA and they stamped your GC number in your passport. You don't need to wait all the way till 5 years anniversary. You could apply it 90 days earlier than your 5 years date.

Read the N-400 form instrection..!! You could find the form in the web site.
Pretty easy..!!

1) Unless you have some serious complications (problems with the law, weird "permanent residence" issues, etc), you don't need a lawyer - the form's a little long, but, with the "Guide to Naturalization" and the instructions, it's pretty straight forward.

2) The important date is the only on your green card. You are eligible 5 years (or less in some cases) after that date. You can file 90 days before you are eligible. It's all explained in the "Guide"

Good luck

imp4gc said:
2) What date should we consider for the 5 year anniversary? - Date of Passport stamping? Date on GC? Date on I 485 approval notice?

Thanks.

If you went through the adjastment of status, the date your LPR status started is the date of I-485 approval. This should be the same date as the date on th Green Card saying "resident since...."

Last edited by a moderator: