A# Changed on Receipt Notice. Please help...

burbankuser

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I hope anyone with similar experience can help me with this. I am an H1B applying for green card through marriage. I recently received the receipt notice for I485. The A# on the receipt is different from the A# from my H1B petition, which I provided on the application. Interestingly, my husband I130 receipt notice however still has my old A# listed as beneficiary.

Anyhow, I'm confused and not sure whether I am supposed to get a new A# or whether the INS made a mistake. I am trying to call the 1-800 number, but if anyone is familiar with this situation, your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

How did you get a A# on H-1B ( were you a student?).
If the difference is only one digit (like '8' instead of '6') or something like that then it is a typo and you should definitely get it corrected by going to you local office ( infopass).
But if it is a totally different #, then they have assigned a different A# to you - which believe or not is quite common.
But I would suggest you make infopass appointment in any case and ask them about it [Although I already told you what they are going to tell you]

Disclaimer: This is not a legal advice

Thank you for your advice!!! It is a completely different number. I got the old number from my work permit. I will call to INS to confirm.

burbankuser said:
Hello All,

I hope anyone with similar experience can help me with this. I am an H1B applying for green card through marriage. I recently received the receipt notice for I485. The A# on the receipt is different from the A# from my H1B petition, which I provided on the application. Interestingly, my husband I130 receipt notice however still has my old A# listed as beneficiary.

Anyhow, I'm confused and not sure whether I am supposed to get a new A# or whether the INS made a mistake. I am trying to call the 1-800 number, but if anyone is familiar with this situation, your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

I went through the exact same scenario that you described above. You are given a new A# when you change status from H1B (your case) of F1-opt(my case) and it is normal. Even my old A# was on the NOA for the I-130 NOA. Dont worry about it. The new A# is what you need to use from now on. You do not need to call the 1-800 number or get an infopass appointment. They clarified this for me when I went for my biometrics and fingerprinting appointment.

Good Luck and go bucks

I have just received the notice for I-765 and interestingly, it has the old number instead of the new one. It's a relief to know this is common practice.

Thank you for your reply!!!!

I went through the exact same process. The A# on the I-485 notice, which should start with a 0, will be your eventual A#. Any other A#s, especially those starting with a 1, will gradually disappear.

You have nothing to worry about.