9 months after finger print, still no interview, ...

luo

Registered Users (C)
Almost 9 months after finger print, still no interview letter is received. Called USCIS several times, same old message, case is pending. Scheduled INFOPASS several times, also got same thing, pending and background checking. Don't know what the hell they are checking about? Why takes so long?

What options can I have now? Really frustrated about the USCIS service:mad:

Same boat here. See my info below. Several info pass and several calls, all the same name check pending. I have contacted my local house representative and they sent a inquiry letter to FBI at the end of March. According to them, FBI should reply in 10 weeks.

I have a very common Chinese name :(

Relax and be patient. I am a Brit with an "English" name and I just got my interview letter, almost 9 months from my Priority Date. The reasons for delays can be many, complex and are poorly understood by applicants - largely because everybody's situation is very different. Possible reasons can be travel history, complexity/origin of name, original citizenship, backlock with the regional/local immigration offices, backlog with the FBI etc etc. It might not be fair to blame USCIS in particular ..... delays with namecheck must also be caused by the other departments involved.

Regional office: Mesquite, Texas
Local office: San Antonio, Texas

• 28th July 06: N-400 application mailed
• 7th August 06: Resubmitted with correct check (first check based on incorrect data on USCIS web site)
• 9th August 06: Priority Date and Application Number issued (& check cashed)
• 15th August 06: Fingerprint (FP) notification (6 days from Priority Date; missed FP date due to absence from town
• 31st August 06: Request to reschedule FP
• 5th September 06: Proactive visit to the FP office as a “walk-in” (27 days from Priority Date)
• 20th April 07: Notice to attend interview (227 days from FP; 254 days from Priority Date. Note: file was not removed from USCIS status site)
• 9th May 07: Scheduled interview date. (273 days from Priority Date).

Lessons learned:

1. My straightforward situation has meant that the process has, so far, not been difficult. No lawyer needed so far. However, I might use a lawyer for complex or ambiguous situations
2. Be prepared for the USCIS to operate with lightening speed. If away from town do not have post office hold mail but have friend/relative receive mail and check all USCIS communications.
3. In emergencies, just showing up at the FP office as a “walk-in” does work.
4. As the Khanna forum has indicated, removal of the case status from the USCIS website is not a reliable indicator that the interview letter is imminent.

email update from INS?

Did you sign up for the email notification service from INS? and if so did you get an email telling you of your change in status i.e. interview date ?

Thanks

After also 9 months of "unknown" i finally got my IL this week. But my case is still pending according to the USCIS website. From what i saw on this message board, the online case status check is not really reliable.

However, the d/o process date does match my priority date. Online they show that the current processing date is 9/12, my priority date is 9/5, and i did get the IL this week.

So if you haven't, you can check the d/o processing date (they have link online at your case status check page), that's more true.

my dates (D/O: NYC)
submit N400 - 8/31/06
receipt date - 9/5/06
priority date - 9/5/06
checks cashed - 9/7/06
notice date - 9/12/06
received receipt notice - 9/18/06
fp notice date - 9/14/06
received fp notice - 9/20/06
fp appointment - 9/25/06
infopass - 12/5/07
IL sent - 4/30/07
IL received - 5/4/07
interview- 6/12/07

most recent experience update

I have same experience. I don't know what can be wrong here. Please advice.

Vermont Service Center, Boston District Office
N400
PD: 11/07/07
FP: 12/1/07
Interview: waiting

Almost 9 months after finger print, still no interview letter is received. Called USCIS several times, same old message, case is pending. Scheduled INFOPASS several times, also got same thing, pending and background checking. Don't know what the hell they are checking about? Why takes so long?

What options can I have now? Really frustrated about the USCIS service:mad:

If your application is pending background checking, any delay you are experiencing is not because of USCIS' fault. Granted, USCIS does not have a fully optimized process for processing the different types of applications they do. But this is one is clearly not one of their problems.

If you are not aware, FBI's name check process has long been frowned upon for being flawed and sometimes illogical. But again, this is not USCIS' fault.

If your application is pending background checking, any delay you are experiencing is not because of USCIS' fault. Granted, USCIS does not have a fully optimized process for processing the different types of applications they do. But this is one is clearly not one of their problems.

If you are not aware, FBI's name check process has long been frowned upon for being flawed and sometimes illogical. But again, this is not USCIS' fault.

Takadigi,

I think you let them off the hook too easily. That's true that if they didn't get FBI's reply they cannot go forward. However, they seem to have serious difficulties restarting cases that are pending for a long time even after getting those reply's as if they dumped them onto a pile that nobody wants to touch. There has been several posts where people through a senators (or such) office got response from FBI stating when they have completed work on their case. Frequently it sat back with USCIS for months before anything happened.

I don't have the problem myself. My beef with USCIS is their approach to "in order it was received" policy. I've sent two applications in one envelope on 12/6/06. Last name for both is such that you'd be lucky to find 20 people in the entire world bearing it and despite that, one case is finished with US pasport in hand and the other hasn't received IL yet. Go figure. On the other hand maybe I DO have this problem. It would likely take me a full day to go to an infopass so I'm delaying. But who knows?

cmsz

Last edited by a moderator:
It is quite common for the wife's of the people stuck to complete their processing on time while their husband's are stuck. From a threat point of view a mail 18-40 or so would get more attention than a female with kids. I have seen too many such cases on the forum here. So I would not say your case is something hard to figure what is going on. Now, the name check itself I think is based on flawed logic. We have 12 million illegal immigrants living amongst us and we go through this farce for permanent residence and US citizenship that includes regular finger print checks, AR-11 forms and then the famous name checks. I don't know if this really enhances our security, particulary when the person stuck in name check might be stuck there for years together. I think even the FBI knows they are not a threat so they take their sweet time to complete the backlog!

Takadigi,

I think you let them off the hook too easily. That's true that if they didn't get FBI's reply they cannot go forward. However, they seem to have serious difficulties restarting cases that are pending for a long time even after getting those reply's as if they dumped them onto a pile that nobody wants to touch. There has been several posts where people through a senators (or such) office got response from FBI stating when they have completed work on their case. Frequently it sat back with USCIS for months before anything happened.

I don't have the problem myself. My beef with USCIS is their approach to "in order it was received" policy. I've sent two applications in one envelope on 12/6/06. Last name for both is such that you'd be lucky to find 20 people in the entire world bearing it and despite that, one case is finished with US pasport in hand and the other hasn't received IL yet. Go figure. On the other hand maybe I DO have this problem. It would likely take me a full day to go to an infopass so I'm delaying. But who knows?

cmsz

Takadigi,

I think you let them off the hook too easily.

I absolutely don't understand what you mean. What did I say to indicate letting them off the hook. Or are you being a little too smart?:confused:

All I said was that even though USCIS has many problems, cases with background check pending is not one of them. Re-read before you respond.

I absolutely don't understand what you mean. What did I say to indicate letting them off the hook. Or are you being a little too smart?:confused:

All I said was that even though USCIS has many problems, cases with background check pending is not one of them. Re-read before you respond.

Mea culpa.
Annoying you was the furthest from my mind.
Sorry, if that's what I did.

Due to the fact that my case is still in the hole I think I'm somewhat justified in being irked at USCIS, especially comparing the case to my wife's. ;)
Then, comparison to your case suggests I should be patient.
It's hard. A little bit of dark humor helps me stay sane most of the time.

As to specifics, I have read several posts that were indicating that cases delayed by the name check sometimes are back from FBI and just sit at USCIS waiting for somebody to pick them up despite the fact that early PD should put them at the top of the pile if USCIS really cared about "in order it was received" slogan.

IL received after 10 months

My N400 app was stuck in name check for about 10 months.

PD: 7/27/2006
FP: 7/7/2006
Interview letter received: 5/7/2007
Interview scheduled: 7/5/2007
Office: Detroit

Actions taken prior to receiving IL:

- called USCIS
- took one Infopass
- contacted the Senator's office
- consulted a lawyer

None of these actions helped.

And my online case status has not changed yet from pending. Also, my wife's app went through in about 3 months.

It seems like there is no logical reason for the high variance in processing times, and I am not sure one can do much but to wait.