8/14 - eventful in a bad way

istrategist

Registered Users (C)
Part 1: 8/14 afternoon
I received a reply for SR initiated MAY 18, letter dated Aug 1, blaming background check for the delay. This after Infopass and TSC, both told me numerous times that all checks were clear. Besides hearing the TSC IO and Infopass tell me that all is clear, I have a rather unique, non-controversial name, with nothing in my background that should raise flags (or so I think)...
So I guess I'm screwed for now

Part 2: 8/14 11:30 pm EST
I was out at when I got cellphone alerts that USCIS had sent me status update emails. Took a nerve wrenching few minutes for me to go page by page (fingers crossed, knot in my back) till I found it was an LUD for some damn document returned to USCIS as undeliverable.

I updated my address 2 years ago, got confirmation at the new address. Got VSC - TSC transfer notice to my new address in March. TSC IO, Infopass, and 1800# all confirmed that they have my correct current mailing address on file. Then I found out in July that my FP notice was sent to my previous address and returned - got that re-sent. And these ******* send *something* to an address that I changed 24 months ago? That's not right...

So after an ENTIRE month of not calling TSC IO or 1800#, they are forcing me to call tomorrow (8/15). That or the Infopass appointment, whichever comes first - that's how I will be spending the first part of Indian independence day.

Guys,

PPL @ USCIS spend time to research how to keep a cases# for longer time in queue and this is one example...they send notices to wrong address even though.... if you call them to verify your correct address 99% chances are they have correct address on file...... but still they send it to wrong address....
one personal experience want to share with you guys.... sometime back i received someone else Advance PArole approval notice....
what a messs....

magic_mail:

Unfortunately, the old saying "Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to plain stupidity" can be applied here, except replace "stupidity" by "mis-management". I doubt USCIS intentionally sends the notices to the wrong/old address. More likely, the problem is that different notices are generated by different systems. USCIS uses so many different databases, and so many of the processes are manual that I wouldn't be surprised if some of the databases don't have the updated address. So the notice generated based on the data from one database might end up going to the old address, while a notice from a different database might end up coming to the current address.

You have to remember that all these functions are almost certainly performed by contractors, who just fold the notices, put them in envelopes and mail them out. They don't/can't verify the address is right - that comes straight from the program that generated the notice.

Only if the notice gets returned that someone at USCIS will look up the case, find the updated address and re-generate the notice with the right address. It is certainly a very painful process, and we end up losing lots of time because of it. The only solution, of course, is for USCIS to ensure that the address is updated in every single frickin' database they use, or allow the mail to be forwarded for some types of notices.

marooned42,

I agree...still wonder if this is not deliberate to not update information @different system.....
sometime get scared after reading diffrent post....they might send our GC approval to notice to someone else address.....
sometime back i received someone else Advance PArole approval notice

In my case, there was no LUD and came to know that the past addres guy was receing mail forthe past 3-5months. What if they just took it and trashed it? Luckily in my case, they mentioned that addresse has moved and sent it back...... all crap system in INS and for these they charge hunderds of $$$$$

Part 1: 8/14 afternoon

I updated my address 2 years ago, got confirmation at the new address. Got VSC - TSC transfer notice to my new address in March. TSC IO, Infopass, and 1800# all confirmed that they have my correct current mailing address on file. Then I found out in July that my FP notice was sent to my previous address and returned - got that re-sent. And these ******* send *something* to an address that I changed 24 months ago? That's not right...
istrategist,
really sorry to hear that.. i can understand your agony.

the system is screwed up... so what is the moral of the story ? NOT MOVE AT ALL ??? Jesus man...

you should probably take it up to your state's Senator AND sue them in parallel, quoting mental distress, lack of job mobility ... or whatever the right pharases are..

Part III

after a sleepless night last night, I receive emails this morning saying that the documents were resent to address on file on Aug 14. So how come they didn't tell me that on Aug 14?

Anyway, called TSC IO and got thru after 45 mins hold time. She asked for my receipt # and asked when I last called - I said over a month ago. She immediately asked me if I did FP - I said yes, on July 24. She said the results were not uploaded so they did not know if I did it or not, and I should go to the same service center on saturday (she said no other day, only saturday) and take the stamped notice (showing I had done FP) and ask them to send the results or do it again. She asked how far it was from my home, and I told her about 60 miles each way. She then said she would send email requesting upload and then typed it out for self and added spouse to that. She said to check again in 10 days and if they have not received it, to then go to the ASC. I asked her what the document was, she said we have been doing that all this while and <click>

Part IV

Went for Infopass, and the guy giving me my ticket failed to understand why someone living on the east coast was coming to the west coast for Infopass. Waited 45 minutes since there was only one counter open - the IO there was a desi lady who seemed to be spending time answering all the questions people had. When it was my turn, they opened another window and guess who was there - the guy who gave me the ticket.
Looked up my file, said fingerprints expired (Nov 2005), no record of new FPs, everything else clear, and I should wait for FP notice. I told him we did FPs on July 24, he said nothing in the system reflects that.
Told him I got email yesterday saying document undelivered, he said nothing in the system reflecting that - the last update he had was transfer to TSC. And then said ok - just wait for your turn for approval.
Second infopass appointment in 3 months and both times got officers who were not particularly forthcoming.

If there were LUDs, it's almost certain the FPs were sent to FBI, and FBI returned them back (next day LUD). Did you check with FBI if they processed your FPs?

This business of an ASC "uploading" the FP results is kinda bogus - it is supposed to be automated. In any case, try going back for an Infopass. If you think Infopass is not helpful, and if you haven't already done so, contact your congressman and explain to him how USCIS is screwing things up and ask for help. At the same time, prepare a package to send to the Ombudsman, including the DHS7001 form, etc. Attack this on all fronts now, it may seem like a lot of work but unfortunately that's the only way some of us will ever get any sort of response/action from USCIS. Good luck and keep us posted.

post your history, wait a few days...

istrategist, first please post your details..

then why didnt you take the stamped notice of your FP to infopass.. or did you and that guy didnt give you a chance ? take another infopass again...

and you really should write up a short enough, but very effective letter to your Senator.. this is terrible...

i know its easier said than done, but, dont lose sleep on this... just rely on "hope" - take as a test for your mental strength - its not going anywhere, it is coming.. you just have a uncommon ( or is it common?) hardship..

magic_mail:

FBI number for FPs: 304 625 2000
Tell the person who answers that you want to enquire about results of FP you gave for your I-485. You'll get transferred to another department, where you say the same thing. You'll be asked for your A#, DOB, and of course, name.

i was able to speak to a nice lady @ FBI she told me our Finger Pringt was send out to USCIS on same day August 14 2007... i saw LUD on our I-485(08/14/07, 08/15/07)

let see what happens now.....

Thanks for the tips

I called FBI 2 days after my FP and they said they sent the results back to USCIS the day of the FP.

About my stamped FP notice, I did not have that with me since I am across the country and did not expect this to happen - did the Infopass last minute at San Jose this morning. Will get my wife to fax it to me, or will just do the next Infopass next week in NJ.

Letter to senator sent July 12, got a boiler plate response that they will follow up on my behalf. Was half expecting to get an approval soon, but looks like I will have to start building the Ombudsman package.

I gave my FP yesterday. FBI have already processed it and had send it back to USCIS. I don't know how long we all have to wait ?????

Good Luck!

It is such a scary thing really. It is preferable that you dont move at all till you get your GC or we have do deal with what comes in. Things going to wrong address is so freaking common. I did not move till I got GC and so was my friend. My friend had some bad experience in his apt complex like break-ins and so on but still did not move out. Well as per his logic, break-ins are ok - USCIS going to wrong address is not and it turns out to be correct.