7th year h1 approved CSC

Kumar_h1

Registered Users (C)
filed apr 23 with INS(after getting lca approval).
approved on JUly 3rd or so...

approval granted for 2.5 years!

No Title

Congratulations!
My understanding is it\'s validated year-by-year i.e. one year at a time. Hmmm....something new I learned today :)

Which service center is this?

No Title

Did you (or your lawyer) asked for 2.5 years extension (if it is 7th year extension one should ask for 1 year extension only)? Did you get I-94 with this approval? Recently there was a news in ISN that INS won\'t send I-94s with 7th year approvals, so that one cannot leave the country at this state.

Thanks in advance for the info...

-PCee

No Title

I have got my 7th year H1 extenstion for 3 years. The I-94 part is also attached to the approval notice. After reading your message, I am slightly confused. Some one please clarify this?

No Title

Here is ISN news link about the cable that is sent by INS to all consular posts...
http://www.isn.org/news/20010613084241.html

As per this cable, in case of 7th year extensions (see 2-b), length of stay permitted is extended beyond 6 years limit and it doesnot automatically extend the validity of the petition underlying that status. Later it says (in 2-ii) at counsular posts no visa may be issued unless a valid H-1B petition exists.

What I understood from this is one needs extension of petition to get visa stamp either from Washington DC or from a counsular post out side US to make a trip out side US.

One got I-94 along with H1 extension means petition is approved along with extension of status. By the way if the petition is treated as 7th year extension then it must be approved for one and only one year and probably they won\'t send I-94 with it.

If extension is approved for more than one year then can some one answer these questions?
1. Is extension filed for one year as 7th year extension?
2. In which service center?
3. Is it clearely mentioned as 7th year extension?

I know in the past before regulations released some H1B extensions got approved by mistake, and I read some where in the internet that it is the responsibility of the candidate to not to over stay beyond 6 years. In the current situation I have no clue how it works.

NOTE: I am waiting for my 7th year extension (CSC), and I know next to nothing about immigration law... Please do not take any thing in this note as any sort of advice... I am just trying to speculate based on what I read. Please consult your attorney for any legal advice.

- PCee

No Title

I just got a copy of my H1B 7th year extension (CSC) approval notice and I got it for one year and to my surprise it has I-94 attached. It clearely says "The above petition and extension of stay has been approved."

Now I have no idea what that cable (that I mentioned in my previous mail) means.

- PCee

No Title

I am sorry, probably I confused and scared you with my previous response(s). Yes, one can get 3 years extension after 6 years on H1B as per one provision in AC21 and only 1 year as per other provision. See which provision you come under. Here is link to my response in some other thread for similar question...

PCee "gsingh4: I received my approval notice from NSC" 7/18/01 6:40pm

- PCee