7th Year Extension - Strange Situation

xrajeshx

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My Labor and I-140 are approved on 9/12/2001, due marriage constraints I haven't applied for my I-485, now my H1B 6 year limit is completing on OCT 25'2003.

My question is can I go ahead and apply for 7th year H1B extension in premium processing? Do you guys see any problems in applying 7TH year extension with approved labor and I-140.
How long it will take to get 7th year Extension?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Raj

One of my friend was in the same situation. He had his 140 approved (in 1999) and he did not file for his 485 because of marriage situation.

When he applied for his 7th year H1 extn there was RFE on his H1 extn. BCIS was asking the reason why he had not filed for his 485 when I-140 was approved ?

He filed for his 485 and then replied for his H1 RFE ( He hasn't heard from BCIS about his 7th year extn approval).

My advice is to apply for your 485 and then file for your 7th year H1 extn.

Thanks for the info GcNoGc, how long ago this happened? Did your friend got any further reply from BCIS
Did he apply in premium processing? Please reply

Thanks

Hi Raj
I'm exactly in the same boat like you are .
Labor/I-140 got approved in '01 and have not applied for 485 because of marriage constraints.

My H1 expires in 9/03 ( 6th year ), I'm planning to apply for 7th year in July. But I read somewhere ( proly in Murthy.com) that to be leery about travelling abroad in 7th year of H1B. Have you made up your mind rgd what you would be doing in your case, as visa may be rejected sometimes.

I'm also planning to apply for 7th year in premium processing. Has any one got 7th year extended/got visa stamped in India(chennai)? Is it any different compared to those below 6 yrs?

Regards
SG

HI SG257,

I have read on the same board that couple of guys has
done their stamping in chennai and delhi for their 7th year extension without any problem , also most of the people posts i read said they are treating 7th year extension as a normal extenion, Hopefuly they will treat 7th year extension same as normal extension .

Are you applying I-485 first and then applying for 7th year extension ? or are you just applying 7th year extension without applying I-485. either way Please update me what is the status.

i can give my contact email address it is xrajx at hotmail com .

Best of luck
Raj

I recently applied for 7th year extension(Vermont cntr) and got it within two months. My I-140 has not been approved yet.

Process for 7th year filing

Hi Oris,

Congratulations on getting your 7th year extension...here's my situation....please advice/help me in filing for 7th year extenstion. Ours is a small company(i mean my employer) so my employer is not aware of this 7th year process...Could you tell me what are the documents needed and can I apply for it right away as I hardly have 5 months for my 6 years and 'am planning to visit india soon and I want to get the 7th yr extn here in the US and get it stamped here before I visit India.....here's the gist of my situation...

I have applied for Labor from NJ during Nov 2001 and still waiting. My H-1 expires in Jan 2004. I am not clear about the 7th year extension as some people say that 365 days waiting time for labor is enough and some people say that one should have cleared labor and should have applied for I-140 ALSO to be eligible for 7th year extension. I immediately thought of this forum as it has many people with different experiences.

Can somebody enlighten me on 7th year extension with respect to my situation. Can stay in the country and in which case can I apply for 7th year extn now as all issues with BCS/INS are taking several months these days. I am planning to visit india during the end of this year and I will be left with just one month of my H-1(6years) by then. That is why I am kind of confused about my situation. If I am not eligible for 7th year(since my labor is not cleared so far), then I will have to search for another options....I don't know....

If I am eligible for 7th year extension then what are the documents required for that.

I really appreciate if you/someone could let me know this information.

Thanks in advance,
SK