7/8/9th yr H1B Stamping with LC Pending

kaushiks

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

Do you have any idea how the H1B stamping goes when you are in your 7th or 8th or even 9th yr H1B visa?

Is it better to do in Mexico/Canada or India?

I am not sure how the Consulates in India treat when they know that you have applied for Green Card.

Prefer Canada

My experience with Canada has always been a breeze. Hence that would be my vote.
I have avoided India so far since appointments were difficult to get but off late I am told that since the consulates have expanded capacity, its quite easy there too.

So, if you can combine your personal India trip/vacation alongwith the stamping, then there could be cost savings. If you dont care about cost, then Canada would be my first preference.

kaushiks said:
Hi Guys,

Do you have any idea how the H1B stamping goes when you are in your 7th or 8th or even 9th yr H1B visa?

Is it better to do in Mexico/Canada or India?

I am not sure how the Consulates in India treat when they know that you have applied for Green Card.

Kaushiks,

You should not have an issue with the interviewing officer questioning your intent to stay back in the US, because the H1-B visa is a dual intent visa. Your main concern should be having all the right paper-work and any reported delays at the consulate you will be going to.

I opted to have my 7th year H1-B extension done at Johannesburg, South Africa (I'm also a SA permanent resident) instead of Islamabad because of the long delays I had heard for the US consulate in Islamabad. At Jo'burg I was only asked for my I797 and passport. Same thing when I visited for my 8th year extention. Infact on both occassions when I landed back here in the US, the immigration officer at the airport asked me whether I had applied for my green card and I said yes.

I will be visiting Pakistan later this year but want to get my 9th year extension from Mexico (I don't want to risk any delays waiting for my visa in Pakistan because it is going to be a short visit). So if you have time to spare in India, you might as well get it stamped from there since it will save you the additional cost of going to Mexico or Canada. However if for any reason you might believe it will take long over there and you are short on time, it would be adviseable to get it in advance from either Canada or Mexico.

Good luck,

Jawad
Dallas, TX

jwdkhan said:
Kaushiks,

You should not have an issue with the interviewing officer questioning your intent to stay back in the US, because the H1-B visa is a dual intent visa. Your main concern should be having all the right paper-work and any reported delays at the consulate you will be going to.

I opted to have my 7th year H1-B extension done at Johannesburg, South Africa (I'm also a SA permanent resident) instead of Islamabad because of the long delays I had heard for the US consulate in Islamabad. At Jo'burg I was only asked for my I797 and passport. Same thing when I visited for my 8th year extention. Infact on both occassions when I landed back here in the US, the immigration officer at the airport asked me whether I had applied for my green card and I said yes.

I will be visiting Pakistan later this year but want to get my 9th year extension from Mexico (I don't want to risk any delays waiting for my visa in Pakistan because it is going to be a short visit). So if you have time to spare in India, you might as well get it stamped from there since it will save you the additional cost of going to Mexico or Canada. However if for any reason you might believe it will take long over there and you are short on time, it would be adviseable to get it in advance from either Canada or Mexico.

Good luck,

Jawad
Dallas, TX
Thanks. I am thinking it would be good to in Mexico or Canada. Mexico being closer to Texas that would be my first preference. Even with 3 h1b visa stampings i am not comfortable doing my 8th yr stamping in India. Do you have any idea about Matomores or Laredo Consulates which are accross the Texas border? Appreciate any input.

Thanks.

kaushiks said:
Thanks. I am thinking it would be good to in Mexico or Canada. Mexico being closer to Texas that would be my first preference. Even with 3 h1b visa stampings i am not comfortable doing my 8th yr stamping in India. Do you have any idea about Matomores or Laredo Consulates which are accross the Texas border? Appreciate any input.

Thanks.

I got my 7th year extension stamping done in Nogales, Mexico. No questions asked, No issues, got back the passport same day. It took much longer at the border than at the consulate. That was the case for everyone though. They were poorly staffed at the border and only after they served the american citizens, they served the rest of the folks like us. Good luck with your 8th yr stamping, and please post your experience, if anything unusual. I am planning for my 8th yr stamping too.

pavanj said:
I got my 7th year extension stamping done in Nogales, Mexico. No questions asked, No issues, got back the passport same day. It took much longer at the border than at the consulate. That was the case for everyone though. They were poorly staffed at the border and only after they served the american citizens, they served the rest of the folks like us. Good luck with your 8th yr stamping, and please post your experience, if anything unusual. I am planning for my 8th yr stamping too.
Great. Thanks for the info. Nuevo Laredo & Matomoros are across the Texas Border. Does anyone have experience with these consulates?

ny1902 said:
I am thinking of taking my 8th year extension Visa in New Delhi, India. Hope it will be smooth.
I have had bad experience with Chennai Consulate. Not willing to take chances with them again. Who knows it might work out just fine. It's more than 7 yrs since i stamped in Chennai.