6 months after N-400 interview and no news

keigotl78

Hi,

Although this is my first time posting, I've been reading these posts for a year or so...

I never thought I would have a problem w/ my citizenship, but now I do...

Everything went well until the day of interview, I forgot to bring my driver's license, I have graduated on 2004 and I had no job for the past 1 year (I am currently working overseas...), and to make matters worse, I had a grand-theft record that was dismissed by the county court (I went back to county court to get proof that I was convicted, charged, and dismissed, however, my records are clean on paper, meaning my record is clean...)

It has been 6 months since the interview, I've sent back all relative papers that was requested, and still no news, what should I do?

I live in So. Cal, Baldwin Park is where I got my N-400 interview.
My interview date was June of 2005.
I've been out of the country for 5 months since that date.

Can anyone give me some advice? Should I call them to check?

Thanks in advance.

Tom.

keigotl78 said:
Hi,

Although this is my first time posting, I've been reading these posts for a year or so...

I never thought I would have a problem w/ my citizenship, but now I do...

Everything went well until the day of interview, I forgot to bring my driver's license, I have graduated on 2004 and I had no job for the past 1 year (I am currently working overseas...), and to make matters worse, I had a grand-theft record that was dismissed by the county court (I went back to county court to get proof that I was convicted, charged, and dismissed, however, my records are clean on paper, meaning my record is clean...)

It has been 6 months since the interview, I've sent back all relative papers that was requested, and still no news, what should I do?

I live in So. Cal, Baldwin Park is where I got my N-400 interview.
My interview date was June of 2005.
I've been out of the country for 5 months since that date.

Can anyone give me some advice? Should I call them to check?

Thanks in advance.

Tom.

You need to get an infopass appointment and talk to the officer there to see what is the status of your application... Also, you should consider getting ur congressman/senator involved and have their office make enquiries about ur case.. Pls. use the search facility of this website.. since there is a lot of info/expereinces of other people in similar situation on the board..

a_dude

Thanks for your advice, I've set up an appointment to talk to an immigration officer and also emailed my congressman. Hope I'll be able to find out what is taking so long.

Thanks again!

Have you mentioned the charges on the N400 application when you filed?

If not then definitely you need to take all relevant paper work with you when you go for infopass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Foreverafter,

I did mention all the charges (just one though), and I sent back the original document that the court gave me, which is clean, and it says, "No Criminal Record Found"... then today, I went back to read the copied papers that I kept record of and it said "All court dispositions MUST be certified by the court issuing the record. If a record is no longer available, you must sumit documentation from the appropriate agency as to its unavailability. If a record has been sealed or expunged, court records showing such must be submitted."

Since the court can't help me look up or print out any records, where am I going to find any record of my arrest?

Anyone think this is the reason for the hold up?

All of us can make guesses.. but the only way to find out for sure is to get the ans. from USCIS .. Not an easy task (smile)..

a_dude

" No criminal record “ doesn’t mean you don't have a criminal record" , it could simply mean your record is sealed from the public (not from the USCIS).

If you mentioned that you had one record then you have to get the outcome of the court decision (a court disposition showing what the charges were and the disposition).

I had one citation with dismissed, wrong family name, record sealed and even before the statutary ( 5 years ) period, (Thanks to JohnnyCash, JoeF, Sand Diego and many others in this great website who in lighted me on the process) but still I mentioned it and attached the copy of the court disposition and my lawyer's consent letter (noterized ) of the name error from the court part.

The court disposition clearly had a print at the end of the page that says and I quote " (caution: This document is not official unless embossed with the court seal over the signature of the court official) unquote. I sent it with the N400 Application, I didn't certify it. In the interview they may ask for the original to verify the seal over the signature.

In your case, since you did not attach the court disposition with your application and you sent it later it may take some time, but don't worry, just try to certify it, if that is what it says on your court paper and take it with you.

Last edited by a moderator: