485 Waiters - Check This Out

shyam ramachandran

Registered Users (C)
Another process to bite our butts. WHEN WILL THE MISERY END???

Updated 08/13/01: I-485 and CIA Clearance: Will It Haunt Again?

One of the key documents that I-485 filers submit to the INS for I-485 application is the Form G-325A, four page carbon copy form. One page is for the FBI criminal clearance, another page for the American Consulate visa fraud clearance, and third copy for the CIA international security clearance. The INS guidelines set forth 60 days for the consulate visa fraud clearance, and should the INS fail to receive report from the consulate, the INS was permitted to proceed adjudication of I-485. However, one time same rule did not apply to the CIA clearance requirement.
Beginning from late 1997, the CIA system started facing problem with their clearance processing, and pending the CIA clearance, all the 485 applications were under seize for almost one year, creating literally a mountain of 485 backlogs. On top of this, priority dates moved backward afterwards for India and China, making a huge number of Chinese and Indian EB-3 485 filers in a long line of "wait." The worst came on top of the worse. While they wait, their fingerprints expired (valid for 15 months only) and they had to wait for rescheduling of refinger-printing, which experienced a terrible delay.
Mounting political pressure led the INS to release a memorandum instructing field offices on November 27, 1999 to complete I-485 applications without waiting for the CIA clearance. Under this guideline, the INS field offices have been granting I-485 even before they received the CIA clearance, and should they receive any negative report from the CIA, they have been initiating green card revocation proceeding. This change in the INS 485 processing procedure removed the road block and I-485 cases started moving ahead, even though the piled 485 applications indeed took a long time to reach the current processing times.
However, there is an unconfirmed report that the INS has just reinstated the procedure of CIA clearance as a requirement for I-485 adjudications. Without doubt, this will affect the I-485 adjudication process. The INS has yet to confirm this change of policy and until that time, this report will remain an "unconfirmed" information. Please stay tuned with this web site for the development..

Good Luck to all

Will INS wait indefinetely or for 60 days

I went to Newark INS office last month for interview. The officer told me that my case will be on hold for 60 days for CIA name check. He also put a stamp on the passport that I have attended the interview and name check is pending. He told me that if CIA does not get back to INS in 60 days, INS can clear the application. I don\'t know how exactly this will come out. What is your source of this info. Please post.

No Title

If this is true it will affect a large number of applicants.

Maybe we should get comments from Rajiv Khanna on this????

This will be a nightmare

CIA is very slow. This is gonna pile up 485 applications. What I don\'t understand that some offices started following CIA name check procedure starting in June/July while others are still approving the applications on the interview day. Even VSC is approving 485 applications daily.