485 RFE for Visa Screening

rcodavali

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
We (me & my wife(PT)) applied for 140/485 in California in Dec 2004
RD: Dec 30 2004
ND: Jan 11 2005.
FP: Feb 24 2005.(not done yet, schedule for Mar 15 2005)

We did not file with the Visa Screening, and now we know that we will get an RFE for that.

I checked the 140/485 processing dates for EB-3 category they are June 2004.

I just wanted to know when I should expect my Visa Screening RFE so that I can take of the things, PLEASE RESPOND.

Will they first adjudicate the 140 first and then look into 485?(This way to adjudicate 140 it looks like it will take atleast 6 months from now and then the 485 will start, this will give us ample time but I am not sure abt the process)

My wife would need her License to get the Visa Screen though we started the process at FCCPT and it would take atleast Aug 2005 and we are worried abt that.

thanks a lot

re

a recent memo from INS to Offices have instructed not RFE 485 for VISA Screen until the counrty Prority Date becomes current.
They sometimes RFE your i140 for License to work as a Physical Therapist or you must have completed all your requirements for a PT lic in the State were you intend to work that is actually the last stage in Licensure " ie only thing between you and licence is something like SS# " if you are in california you have intership and technically you need to complete the internship in order to reach that stage now all INS officers may not RFE on this and if you get your lic before the i140 RFE you are okay since it is for a job of the Future all the best. Visa Screen is Faster ( FCCPT can do it in two mts or so after application is complete ) then to get than a Licence in california because of the Internship of 6mts or so

Hope this Helps.

grunggy said:
It would be issued when they look at your I-485. Are you from a retrogressed country. If yes then the processing dates are now at March 01 2002 for I-485 processing. That applies to all EB3 no matter what center.
For the I-140 it is processed seperately on the most part nowadays.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_2111.html

Welll I thought if we aply before Dec 30 2004 the retrogression does not apply (BTW I am from India) and thats why we rushed and applied before Dec 30 2004.

Category:EB3 ?, I am not sure here are the case details

Primary Applicant: Spouse
Category: As a Physical Therapist (so probably EB3)
140/485/EAD/AP: RD Dec 30 2004
ND Jan 11 2005
FP ND Feb 17th (Schedule for Mar 15 2005)

The arrival of FP notices so quickly scared me (however we are hoping that they give EAD/AP immediately) Infact to slow the process we are thinking of not attending the FP unitll it is actually due.

re

you dont need a Lic for Visa Screen Please double check on this one
a license from your country were you completed your bachelors in Physical Therapy will suffice

re

They will process your I140 before the 485 you are rite it may take 6mts and you have about 84 days or so to reply for RFE.its good thing you applied in december or else that wait would be till 485 become current

Yasmine said:
a recent memo from INS to Offices have instructed not RFE 485 for VISA Screen until the counrty Prority Date becomes current.
They sometimes RFE your i140 for License to work as a Physical Therapist or you must have completed all your requirements for a PT lic in the State were you intend to work that is actually the last stage in Licensure " ie only thing between you and licence is something like SS# " if you are in california you have intership and technically you need to complete the internship in order to reach that stage now all INS officers may not RFE on this and if you get your lic before the i140 RFE you are okay since it is for a job of the Future all the best. Visa Screen is Faster ( FCCPT can do it in two mts or so after application is complete ) then to get than a Licence in california because of the Internship of 6mts or so

Hope this Helps.

Actually this is for my wife.

RFE for 140? for License to work as a PT?

She will only get the License if she completes the 9 month internship, which started in Jan

I thought the RFE is only for VisaScreening and VisaScreening RFE will not come thru untill 485. She cannot provide the License of CA untill she completes her internship (infact thats the reason why she cant complete the VisaScreeenig as the VisaScreenig also requires her to report her State License), I heard that if we apply in Type 1 and provide License from India then they are denying it for a 3 1/2 yr course work, so thata why we applied in Type 2 and will claim with FCCPT that the applciation is complete once we provide CA License and then get the VisaScreening done, untill then we cannot respond to any RFEs. AM I not thinking/expecting right?

Yasmine said:
They will process your I140 before the 485 you are rite it may take 6mts and you have about 84 days or so to reply for RFE.its good thing you applied in december or else that wait would be till 485 become current

So can we go ahead for our FP immediately (Actually I was thinking to delay it to slow the process)

Yasmine said:

Also I checked online that they are processing 485 with RD Jun30 2004.
My spouses 485 RD is Dec 30 2004, thats what concerns me.

re

you are right i stand corrected you need a Valid US Licence this was not there a Year ago for VISA SCREEN with FCCPT
they need any Lic ( any US state ) heard Michigan is Fast to Issue Lics go and apply for one from there find out other states which are lax on Lics

re

dont worry they will not touch your 485 till priority dates go current for india
that should be mid of Next Year or More at the current rate.

re

I would go for the Fingerprint because i dont have a solid proof that this will slow are fasten my processing i feel feel if they have to decide on any case they will do it regardless you go for FP or not

RFE on I140 & I485.

rcodavali & Yasmine,
I am exactly the same status as rcodavali. We also applied in Dec 28,2004 without Visa Screen. On Feb 25, I noticed that INS has issued RFE on both I140 & I 485. This is kinda strange. I was expecting I140 to go thorugh and get an RFE on I485 due to absence of Visa Screen. RFE is still in the mail.I am surprised what is happeing in the INS. I got my lic for PT, but i have to complete the TOFEL, TWE, TSE to get the VISA Screen from FCCPT.Once these language scores are complete, FCCPT will issue Visa screen. Does anybody knows how much time i can buy to answer an RFE? I guess it will take a month or 2 to get the Visa screen from the FCCPT, i am writing the TOFEL, TWE, TSE soon. GOD PLEASE HELP ME........
I'll update u guys ASAP.

re

Hi,
RFE Reply should be provided in the 84days .
if you are in a country were IV are Regressed then you have time to give your visa screen if you are and they gave you RFE for Visa Screen and unable to give them the Visa SCreen you can reply to INS and give Ref to a recent memo sent to IO not to RFE I485 if countries I Visa has been regressed
check with your lawyer.

if you please share what other RFEs you got it would be informative

Thanks

RFE for VISA Screen?

Hi Yasmine...

could you please give the reference to the Memo (website or any other link) which states that INS should not RFE for VisaScreen for Retrogressed countries? We are worried too as we applied on Dec' 30 2004 without the Visascreen...anyone with similar cases? please share...

thanks in advance....

shusterman letter

this is from leading immigration lawyer : atty shusterman newsletter
http://shusterman.com/siu.html#3

6. A Lack of Focus: CSC Cracks Down On Registered Nurses
The immigration of registered nurses and physical therapists is, or should be, the most straight-forward of employment-based applications. This is because for the past 20+ years, the Labor Department has listed them as "Schedule A" shortage occupations.

In contrast to most employment-based third preference occupations where an employer must recruit for the job, and demonstrate to the Labor Department that there are no U.S. workers who are qualified and available for the position, registered nurses and physical therapists are both designated as shortage occupations, and their employers are permitted to skip the labor certification process, and submit their applications directly to the CIS.

Since I left the INS for private practice 23 years ago, our firm has obtained thousands of approvals for RNs and PTs, and experienced nary a denial. All of this has changed during the past few months.

In October, the CSC issued a number of denials of RN adjustment cases. Then they lightened up a bit, and started giving hospitals a chance to correct their applications by issuing NOIDs. Now, the CSC is issuing hundreds of RFEs on hundreds of immigration visa petitions (I-140s) submitted on behalf of registered nurses and physical therapists.

The principal issue seems to be faulty posting notices. Fair enough - employers of Schedule A RNs and PTs are required to post notices of hiring foreign-born employees in conspicuous places in the hospital, or if there is a bargaining representative, to serve such a notice on the bargaining representative. This is required by a regulation issued by the Department of Labor.

The Labor Department has similar requirements for non-Schedule A positions as well. When a posting notice is faulty, the State Workforce Agency (SWA) issues a Notice of Assessment which requires the employer to repost or reserve the notice. The SWA does not, however, deny the application, or require that the employer pay additional filing fees. (Editor's Note: Presently, there are no filing fees for labor certification.) The priority date remains the date that the labor certification was originally filed with the SWA.

In the case of the CSC, Schedule A petitions were routinely approved until October, then some event occurred (Perhaps the examiners attended a training course?), and without any advance notice to healthcare providers, the government said "Gotcha!"

Employers were forced to re-file immigration petitions and applications for adjustment of status and pay thousands of dollars in new filing fees.

Posting notices were not the sole focus of CSC objections to Schedule A petitions. Acute care hospitals which had a long history of approved petitions, millions of dollars of profits and hundreds or even thousands of employees on the payroll are being questioned as to their ability to pay the salaries of their nurses and PTs. This despite their submission of pay stubs, annual reports and letters from their CFOs. Frequently, the CSC demands to examine the tax returns of the hospitals and the nurses. When RNs submit letters from the Board of Registered Nurses, CSC demands that they be certified.

Were there a systemic problem with hospitals' ability to pay nurses or a reason to suspect fraud, these demands might make a modicum of sense. Instead, the CSC continues to demand more and more information, and sent the files of more and more nurses to the district offices for interviews. Ultimately, almost all the petitions and the adjustment applications are approved. So what are we to make of this increased scrutiny?

Fortunately, the CSC has recently started to demonstrate a somewhat more reasonable position regarding Schedule A petitions.

Most of the denials and the NOIDs have ceased, only to be replaced by a growing number of RFEs. The CSC refrains from requesting VisaScreen certificates from nurses whose adjustment applications have recently backlogged three or more years.

Along with many of their RFEs, the CSC has started to include sample posting notices which are acceptable to the Service Center. We have posted this sample online on our "Nurses" page at

http://www.shusterman.com/toc-rn.html#1

We hope that CIS Headquarters will get serious about establishing a uniform nationwide system for nurses. Why does the VSC approve I- 140s for RNs in 90 days while the other three centers take almost one year to approve an I-140 for an RN? I have spoken at State Hospital Associations from California to Connecticut, from Arizona to Pennsylvania. Hospitals have a huge shortage of nurses, and are trying their best to comply with complex immigration laws and regulations (See Topic #3).

CIS should be reaching out to assist hospitals in petitioning for needed nurses and therapists. The agency should reverse their faulty denials and NOIDs, refund the duplicate filing fees to the petitioners, and publish not just the presently-acceptable posting notice online, but the new rules for Schedule A occupations which will be required once PERM is implemented on March 28.

That would be a true public service.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am from the philippines and applied my 140/485 on july 2004..so far no RFE on 485..although a lot on I-140 about job postings..another nurse (from thailand) who applied only a month earlier than me has her 140 already approved and now the USCIS is asking her the visa screen for the adjudication of 485..

here is another article from murthy.com that states that I-485 will be pipelined (on hold for a while) until priority dates become current but I-140 will be processed.even if I-140 is approved the GC has to wait until the 485 date is current.meanwhile, we can still re apply for EAD and AP..hope this helps..(also, the visa screen is required for the adjudication of the I-485 not the I-140)

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_retcon.html

USCIS on Retrogression and Concurrent Filing
Posted Jan 14, 2005

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued a memo in late December 2004 regarding certain internal procedural changes in light of the retrogression of Employment Based Third Preference (EB3, skilled workers and professionals with Bachelors' degrees) visa numbers for applicants from mainland China, India, and the Philippines. This Memo, which we will call the Retrogression and Concurrent Filing Memo, does not change anything that the employer / foreign national needs to do. It changes the procedures regarding when the USCIS will rule on the I-140 and I-485 in concurrent cases. Thus, it is important in many respects and it clarifies a number of questions that arose after the EB3 retrogression.

Following we summarize highlights of this Retrogression and Concurrent Filing Memo.

Earlier Memo of March 2004 Rescinded

The Retrogression and Concurrent Filing Memo rescinds a March 3, 2004 policy memorandum regarding concurrent adjudication of concurrently-filed forms I-140/I-485 entitled "Procedural Instructions for Concurrent Adjudication of Concurrently Filed Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker and Form I-485, Application for Adjustment of Status," effective immediately. Regular readers of MurthyDotCom and the MurthyBulletin learned about the March 3, 2004 concurrent adjudication memo in our April 23, 2004 article, New Procedures for Concurrently Filed I-140/I-485 Cases, available on MurthyDotCom. Thus, the USCIS will resume adjudicating I-140s even if the I-485 is not ready for adjudication. No longer must the decision on the I-140 wait for the I-485 to be ready for adjudication.

Concurrent Filing Unavailable for Certain Applicants

The Retrogression and Concurrent Filing Memo confirms that, due to the retrogression of EB3 visa numbers as of January 1, 2005, affected applicants from mainland China, India, and the Philippines may not file the Form I-485 unless and until an immigrant visa number is available, as dictated by the Visa Bulletin. Concurrent filings from applicants not affected by the visa retrogression will continue. As explained in our December 24, 2004 article, Retrogression: Concurrent Filing Possible for Some, retrogression does not end concurrent filing, but rather means that certain applicants will be unable to take advantage of this procedure.

Concurrent Processing of I-140/485 Not Required

While concurrent filing is still permitted for those not affected by the visa retrogression, the processing of the Form I-140 petition is no longer tied to the Form I-485 application's readiness for processing. Therefore, the Form I-140 petition once again may be processed well before the Form I-485 application processing is completed. This will be beneficial to many who will become eligible for AC21 portability following the approval of their I-140s, where the I-485 has been pending for at least 180 days. There were great concerns that the concurrent adjudication procedure would effectively eliminate AC21 eligibility for many. In light of the significant case delay that will result from the retrogression, the ability to change jobs without destroying the green card case is vital.

Withdrawal of I-485 Tantamount to Request for CP

The USCIS states in the Retrogression and Concurrent Filing Memo that, if an applicant affected by retrogression withdraws a pending I-485, the USCIS will assume that the applicant wishes to process the case through consular processing. The I-140 petition will be forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC) after it is approved.

I-485s Accepted until December 30, 2004

The Retrogression and Concurrent Filing Memo confirmed that, if an applicant affected by retrogression filed the Form I-485 application by December 30, 2004, it is considered properly filed and will remain pending. The USCIS must have stamped the package on or before December 30, 2004.

Alternate Chargeability Available

Applicants are instructed to indicate on their applications if they are permitted to use Alternate Chargeability, which is to be counted against the visa numbers for a country other than the one where the applicant was born. This rule permits children to be charged to their parents' country of birth, but does not permit parents to be charged to their children's country of birth. Further, an accompanying or following-to-join spouse may be charged to the principal applicant's country of birth, but the principal applicant cannot be charged to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse's country of birth.

Separate Checks Recommended

The Retrogression and Concurrent Filing Memo provides that, if an I-140 petition and I-485 application are filed together, but the I-485 cannot be filed because the visa numbers retrogressed, the USCIS can accept the I-140 petition if there is a separate check for its filing fee. The I-485 application will be rejected in this situation. If the I-140 petition and I-485 application are filed together with one filing fee check for both and the I-485 application cannot be filed due to retrogression of the visa numbers, both the I-140 petition and the I-485 application will be rejected. Therefore, it is best to use separate filing fee checks for each form filed.

Pipeline Applicants May File EADs and APs

The Retrogression and Concurrent Filing Memo defines "pipeline applicants" as those whose I-485 applications were physically received by the USCIS on or before December 30, 2004, so they are affected by retrogression. The Memo confirms that these I-485 cases will not be processed until the visa numbers become current for such cases, but that applicants will be permitted to file for Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) and Advance Paroles (APs). As explained above, the I-140s in these cases will be separately processed, notwithstanding the fact that the retrogression prevents adjudication of the I-485.

These clarifications and changed procedures are helpful. Particularly beneficial, as noted above, is the increased potential for AC21 portability under these revised procedures.

Ok..Looks like some ppl had RFEs on 140 regarding the job postings..
When we applied (PT) our attorney did not mention anything abt. job postings requirement from the employer as PT`s dont require Labor Certs. to file 140/485.

Please comment...

Primary Applicant: Spouse
Category: As a Physical Therapist (so probably EB3)
140/485/EAD/AP: RD Dec 30 2004
ND Jan 11 2005
FP ND Feb 17th (Schedule for Mar 15 2005)

re

http://www.immigration.com/fromtheagency/cscupd1245.html

"CSC Updates - 01/24/05
Incorporate a copy of the ETA-750 with the priority date highlighted when filing an I-485 where the I-140 has already been approved or pending

With the current visa retrogression CSC’s mail room will be checking priority dates which are not readily available on the computer system for non-current filings. Include a copy of the ETA-750 with the priority date highlighted when filing an I-485 where the I-140 has already been approved or pending.

Cases denied on the basis of a faulty posting notice
In instances where the case was refused on the basis of a faulty posting notice CSC’s Division 1 is trying to collect all Schedule A cases. The center is working on a system to retrieve these cases from the AAO (Administration Appeals Office).

RFE’s will not be issued until the visa number becomes current
RFE’s will be issued on as usual on Schedule A cases where the CGFNS certificate is missing. But if the case is deferred due to visa retrogression, an RFE will not be issued until the visa number becomes current.