485 pending, Need to bring my parents to US

sy47

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My friend's 485 is pending (RD July 2002)has EAD and Adv Parole currently(both of them renewed twice so far). He plans to bring his parents to US but not sure if he can do that because of his situation. Can someone please give any help on this? Can he do it ? if yes, what document would he be using (485 receipt? since his H1 is expired)?

many thanks

sy47 said:
Hi,

My friend's 485 is pending (RD July 2002)has EAD and Adv Parole currently(both of them renewed twice so far). He plans to bring his parents to US but not sure if he can do that because of his situation. Can someone please give any help on this? Can he do it ? if yes, what document would he be using (485 receipt? since his H1 is expired)?

many thanks

Apply for visitor visa.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for not being clear. My question was, would these people be eligible for visitor's visa given their son's status in US? Can you, being in 485 pending status, sponsor for your parents visitors visa ?

A word of caution. In Feb 2004 (I was in AOS status then) my wife and kids went to Chennai for visitor visa. They didn't get VISAs. The reason they have given is that I am only in AOS status and not in GC status. So use your own discretion in deciding.

I think it depends on the officer. My in-laws applied for visitor visa when I was in AOS stage. They got 10 year multiple entry. This is the first time they are applying for a visa.

Please also check the B visa forum, for other cases of approvals and denials.

-mdu123

For Parents, it is different............

asrivang said:
A word of caution. In Feb 2004 (I was in AOS status then) my wife and kids went to Chennai for visitor visa. They didn't get VISAs. The reason they have given is that I am only in AOS status and not in GC status. So use your own discretion in deciding.

Ur wife and kids are ur immediate family and hence are potential immigrants, hence they can't be given visitor visa [which is non-immigrant, non dual-intent visa], while once parents are not immediate family as per US INS and hence that restriction would not apply.