485 medical question - please help

gcboy_ca

Registered Users (C)
I am just about to file 485 and when i did my medicals, doctor told me that i have an inactive
infection from TB ..barely noticeable in the chest X-ray taken..now what do i do ? Should i go ahead and file 485 considering that its an in
active case ..will my case be approved ..or do i wait and take the medications ( might be 6-7 m
onths) and then file ? I would appreciate your opinions on that..
please help.
am posting this to other INS center forums too..in case any one has a similar condition or know
about it

Medical

Normally, when the skin test is positive, the X-Ray is taken, and most of the time that comes negative. However, in your case, if it is positive you must be advised to take medication (for about 6-8 months). What did the doctor advise after that X-Ray?

The doctor should make a note on the medical report that you are under treatment. You should be able to file 485 if you want. You will get an RFE later, and at that time you will need to get another report of X-Ray which should show negative results. your 485 can not be denied solely on the basis of the positive X-Ray.

Try to search this forum as well as archive. There were lot of posts on medical exam.

All the best,

Not legal advice

Here are my thoughts:
If you have positive skin reaction and the x-ray doesn't prove the disease as being active, you have nothing to worry, you can file for I-485 rightaway and you will not get an RFE. If the doctor has suggested that you visit another doctor, please do so and take follow-up treatment, but you may file the I-485 rightaway. You can provide the follow-up results as a response to an RFE that you may likely receive when your case goes into the hands of an adjudication officer. You may not be cleared by the civil surgeon only if you have the active disease with a recommended treatment for atleast 10 to 30 days. Refer to the back side of the I-693 form for a clear description of all scenarios. You can also go over the 42 CFR 34.3(b)(2) from the INS web site.

This is not legal advice. Please consult your attorney for details.

Hope this helps.

Most of People who Get BCG vaccine while they were young or any time in life will test positive for skin test. Its a common vaccine in india/ asia and some counties in europe. but in US its not given . If u had this vaccine anytime in ur life time u should never go for skin test because chances of getting positive is very very good and for no reason you will end up with eating 6/7 months of medications which have some side effect on kidneys too. I have done extensive recerch on this and had faced problems with different school bords for my daughter but i never went for skin test for her. Best will be go to some other doctor and tell him uwant Xray only and i bet he wo't be able to notice anything. Then only reason he might have said that u hv sleeping TB is cause you have positive skin test. Try out other doctor with Xray only and if that is +ve also then probaly u might have to take medicine and follow the advice given by someone earlier.

Medical

Answer these questions to clarify your case:

1. Do you have a positive skin test? Yes/No

2. Is your X-Ray test positive accroding to the doctor? Yes/No

Normally, if 1 is yes, you need to do test 2.
If 2 is yes (with or without ans. 1), you need to take some medication according to the doctor.

Please note that just because your skin test is positive, you are not prescribed any medication, it is just an indication. The follow up X-ray test is done before deciding if you really need any medication.

Also note that it is a misconception that since you had the vaccine in Asia, the skin test will always be positive. This is confirmed by MDs I know. It is always better to get the test. Of course, the best option is to get the x-ray done as a final answer.

Apart fomr all these, do not delay filinig 485 with whatever medical results you have got, and if required, start medication (if doctor noted that on the medical report, there is no way to avoid it, no matter what you think about the side effects.) As noted earlier, you might get an RFE, submit a clear report from the doctor, and you should be fine.

I wokred with American Lung association on this issue even right now they are not sure weather positive skin test is cause of infection or BCG shot. California medical board has left it for the person weather they beleive in skin test to take it or not . So its always best to take a Xray . Check up the British medical Board where BCG is given to every single child born there will not recommend this test. Its up to u to decide what u wanna do now cause this issue is still surrounded with endless debate through out the world.

if a person is PPD positive and Chest xray neg one has to take INH prophylaxis for 6 months if not taken before and if Xray is positive then full Anti TB meds for 6-9 months
A doc

thanks everyone and more comments/issues

thanks everyone here..for responding..

now my case is getting complicated...as most of you suggested to go ahead and try filing I-485, i went to my PCP for followup and he asked me to do more X-rays ( lateral view). I did that and he asked me to wait for report for 10 days. now today i went to see him again and he said that its not clear from these too so we need to do oblique views... :-(...

i took a note from him that he is not suspecting any active infection and went to my INS doctor. The doctor refused to sign and said that on I-693 get the signature of the PCP in the followup section and then only she can sign. Now question is what to do ? In case i state that i am following up and things like that..what would be marked on I-693 for X-ray column - NORMAL or ABNORMAL ?

as all of you, i want to file I-485 ASAP. I am thinking of going to a different doctor. Should i tell them that i already have the X-rays or get them to do another ones ?
any comments would be helpful.

thanks a lot to all of you again.

See i was you i will go to different doc of INS and startover again and go with Xray only and do't mention about the previous Xray . did utake the skin test ???

Not legal advice

Sure it is getting complex, not because of yoru test result or because of lack of regulations, but more so because of someone being unable to decide based on the x-ray result. It is unfortunate. See the notes behind the I-693 form, you will notice that if the medical condition is Inactive/ Class B (Positive skin test reaction combined with abnormal chest x-ray), you must be cleared between 10 and 30 days. The only situation where it would be delayed is when it is of type Inactive/ Class A where you need to undergo upto 9 months of medication before obtaining clearance. As I said earlier, take a look at the pink colored attachment on the back side of Form I-693 with the heading 'Medical Clearance Requirements for Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status'. You need to verify with you doctor how they are classifying your condition. This is not legal advice. Wish you all the best.

Time and money

You certainly can go to another doctor. May be take the X-Rays if you want to save X-Ray charges (and if they agree to lose!). However, if you go with the existing X-Rays, they may ask where did you get them, and why youcame to us. So, better option would be to start new with the new doctor.

Otherwise, since you are asked to wait for 10 days, wait till then. If they insist on some longer term medication then only try another doctor and save some money. Upto you ... all the best,

Last edited by a moderator:
Time and money

You certainly can go to another doctor. May be take the X-Rays if you want to save X-Ray charges (and if they agree to lose!).

Otherwise, since you are asked to wait for 10 days, wait till then. If they insist on some longer term medication then only try another doctor and save some money. Upto you ... all the best,

ghos-rider - yes i did take the skin test

and yes i agree with swsrus that its getting complex much more because of unability to decide...on X-rays..

anyway, what reason would you suggest or give to the doctor for not taking the skin test and directly proceeding with the X-rays...?

thanks again !

If this helps..

I suggest that you send the I-485 withouth the medical examination form. This WON'T affect your AOS application and the INS will request it to you when it's time for the interview, several months from now. In the meantime you will have enough time to take the medications the doctor prescribed. :)

u can always deny skin test and go for xray without reason but can always tell u had BCG shot so do't wanna go for skin test.

once positive, always positive

Once the skin test comes out positive, it is not likely to change during subsequent tests; It may not be possible to convince another doctor to directly go for an x-ray, because in the end, it is the doctor's discretion; In case this gets too complex, I don't think there is any harm in being forthright about the repetion of the entire process with the new medical practitioner, saying that the doctor in the previous instance was unable to analyze the x-ray and provide his comments, and that your confidence level has decreased because of the same... Just my thought, it may not be practical; I understand you need to cover all angles before you take another step... Wish you get through this with little stress. This is just my view, not legal advice. Good luck.

you guys simply rock and thanks a lot

thanks a lot for your help guys...

I went to another doctor, told him that i do not want the skin test and would like to get a X-ray done directly...and guess what....he said today that the X-ray was normal..so i got my medical reports sealed in the envelope with no glitch in it...

Going to other doctor worked amazing for me..

thanks a bunch to all of you guys...specially ghost-rider and swsrus and other folks from the other I-485 forums too..