485 being processed - h1 stamping?

harsha_c

Registered Users (C)
Hello all

My 485 is past 6 months and all things are in place, I have sent a letter asking for postponement of Finger printing. I have AP travel document, EAD card etc, now question is

I am thinking of going to canada to get my h1 stamp so that in case I want to marry someone overseas it is easier to bring her on h4, Now can u guys let me know if that is a risky proposition to travel when one is on the 485 processing etc?

My concern is if there is a security check, I will be stuck in canada a month or so. At the same time this is my second stamping with same company and hope things will go smoothly.

Is it even advisable to travel outside when your 485 is being processed? I want to come back on h1 if I go out.

thanks a lot for thoughts
Harsha

harsha_c said:
Hello all

My 485 is past 6 months and all things are in place, I have sent a letter asking for postponement of Finger printing. I have AP travel document, EAD card etc, now question is

I am thinking of going to canada to get my h1 stamp so that in case I want to marry someone overseas it is easier to bring her on h4, Now can u guys let me know if that is a risky proposition to travel when one is on the 485 processing etc?
No there is no risk especially since you have AP as a backup just take that and also the I485 receipt along with other docs.Has your current H1B stamp expired ?

My concern is if there is a security check, I will be stuck in canada a month or so. At the same time this is my second stamping with same company and hope things will go smoothly.
Worst case scenario(I dont think this will happen) if they do not stamp your H1B you can enter back on

1. AP if you have been in Canada for more than 30 days. In this case you will still be on H1B, there have been several discussions in the forum regarding this

By the way I had read somewhere that countries other than your home country are no longer obligated to stamp your pp with visa.
By the way why do you wanna get your H1B stamped in the first place?Do you have to go to Canada for some reason?

Is it even advisable to travel outside when your 485 is being processed? I want to come back on h1 if I go out.

thanks a lot for thoughts
Harsha

response

No there is no risk especially since you have AP as a backup just take that and also the I485 receipt along with other docs.Has your current H1B stamp expired ?

Worst case scenario(I dont think this will happen) if they do not stamp your H1B you can enter back on

1. AP if you have been in Canada for more than 30 days. In this case you will still be on H1B, there have been several discussions in the forum regarding this

By the way I had read somewhere that countries other than your home country are no longer obligated to stamp your pp with visa.
By the way why do you wanna get your H1B stamped in the first place?Do you have to go to Canada for some reason?

>> Jaggy, the reason being if I want to get married to some one in India , Its easier to bring her on h4 and for that i need h1 stamp on my passport. my last stamping expired june this year and I have my new i797. At the same time I do not want to risk not bring able to get back into the country. I guess it is ok since I have my AP and this is same company I am getting stamping for second time.

Why don't you get stamping in India when you go for your marriage ?

BTW, Your H1B Stamp is not required for your Wife's H4, Just I-797 should do it.. (You will need H1 stamp to comeback in US though :) if you don't want to use AP)