485 Approved!!

mercury_485

Registered Users (C)
A journey that began Jan 2000 is coming to a close ....

Our 485 apps (wife and myself) were approved on 18th Feb. We received the approval notices today 2/23.

We are planning to go to the Houston office in a few days .

Please advise on the following

PP Stamping experience at Houston
The approval notice mentions recent ADIT style photos should be taken (something around 30 days). Is this true ? :D
Is the actual card required to go out of the country and come back or the stamp on the passport would do

Thanks .

Congrats!

Let the first people to congratulate! Please keep posting your experience at Houston Local INS office for stamping.

What a great day, and great month! Keep going TSC...

Congratulation !!!!

What is your validity date for I-94? I want to know whether we have to extend validity date on I-94 before approval of I-485 if we do not go abroad.

to freedomtome

can you tell us why your case was transferred to local office, did you get appointment from local office, and when will it be? And if it's convenient, could you share your interview experience with us. Thanks

tsc123102,

TSC sent me a letter they transferred my case to the Houston local office for speed up and didn't mention for interview. I didn't receive any interview notice so far and immigration officer said "waiting for my time" when I visited Houston office last week. She mentioned that present processing case was on Feb 2002.

MERCURY 485

Hi guy, THe answers to your questions, Go to SEARS and ask for 2 green card photos, they know what to do.

The actual card is processed when you fill form I-89 at the INS office and put your index finger print along with your signature on it.

You need the 551 stamp on your passport as proof that you are being processed for a permanent resident card. I think this along with your photo and signature on your passport serves as an I.D until your G.C is issued.

You are correct. The 551 stamp allows you to travel upto the validity of the stamp i.e 1 year. Travel > 1 year is assumed as abandonment of your permamnent resident status unless you apply for travel papers ahead of time.

Stamping experience at Houston

Thanks everyone for your wishes . Also thanks to ramanathansunda for responding to my questions.

I reached the Houston District office at around 1.00 p.m. (Important point to note is if you have cellphone with a camera it would be better if u leave it in the car. ):D

Close to the entrance , on the right there was a general inquiries counter . The queue was quite long . I got my turn in one hour and 15 minutes and showed my approval notice . I was given a token with a wait time imprinted of about 83 mins . I sat in the big hall for about 1 hour 30 mins . At any time there were 3-4 counters open . For some reason an officer would process a case and take a 5 mins breather :D

Got my turn at 3.45 . The stamping process was quite straightforward . The officer asked me only the docs mentioned in the approval notice . Questioned if the photos were digital . I answered NO. Also cautioned me that if the photos were digital there was a chance that the issuance of cards would be delayed

Officer asked for my place of birth , got my signature and finger print of the right forefinger , filled it up himself ; for some reason ruminated in front of the computer screen for 2 mins .... and finally stamped the passport . Explained that the stamp on the passport was valid for a year .

I was out of the office at 4.00 .