485 approved when not in US

ps19

Registered Users (C)
WHat happens if one's 485 approved when one is in his/her home country for vacation either on H1B or advance parole

ps19 said:
WHat happens if one's 485 approved when one is in his/her home country for vacation either on H1B or advance parole

My husband,daughter and I have received notification by email that our 485s are approved and are yet to receive the paper version of the same. We have made plans to leave the country for a 1 month vacation this coming Wed. What do you advise us to do? What is the procedure once the 485 is approved and most likely the approval notice (paper version) will arrive when we are travelling. Did you get any help for the similar query that you had posted? Thanks in advance :)

ps19-
If you went abroad on AP, You can come back using the AP document. My I-485 was approved in the middle of my vacation and I had no problem coming in using the AP that I had.

minisantu -
I would advise you NOT to use your AP to go abroad since it becomes invalid (alongwith your EAD), once your I-485 gets approved. Now You have to have the physical card or temp GC (I-551) stamped on your passport. Leaving the country without either of the two, you will have a lot of trouble getting back in.

Hope that helps.

picky said:
ps19-
If you went abroad on AP, You can come back using the AP document. My I-485 was approved in the middle of my vacation and I had no problem coming in using the AP that I had.

minisantu -
I would advise you NOT to use your AP to go abroad since it becomes invalid (alongwith your EAD), once your I-485 gets approved. Now You have to have the physical card or temp GC (I-551) stamped on your passport. Leaving the country without either of the two, you will have a lot of trouble getting back in.

Hope that helps.

But is there a reasonable time gap? What if I am reading an approval e-mail while sitting in the airport? What if I do not read e-mail in the airport.

I would think within a week or two one can very well miss an approval - my lawyers are so tardy, I would not be surprised if they sit on some information for a month..

Made an appointment and went to the ASC to get stamping with the email notice, but their National Database has not been updated with the information of our approval that we received by email on June 3. We are advised to enter the country on AP and ignore the email as the paper notice has not yet arrived. Worried but eaget to go home tomorrow. Hope we will be OK. Thanks for all your advice.

Came back with no issues with Parole Visa

Thanks for all your advice. Our plastic cards came to the US address when we were in India..We returned with our Parole Visas with no problems. Just wanted to share this if anybody is going through similar issues.