485 and marriage question

xrajeshx

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My I-140 stage is completed and my priority date is current, Can i go ahead and apply for I485 or
is it better to wait until i get married and applied for both, i am planning to get married in March\'2002
Is it wise to wait until March and apply for both at the same time or can I go ahead apply for myself and
add my spouse later?.

Pls. give some advice.

Thanks
rajeshk

i am doing it now

I have applied for adjustment in july.
plan to get marry in march and apply for her as soon as possible

if your company can hold you and no problem I would suggest get married and file.
if you may be in trouble losing job,then file now and maintain H1 status.

I read some informaiton on follow-to-join.That option also looking positive.

read about it in ins.gov

It depends!

I was in the same situation, but I decided to apply as soon as possible for my 485. With the job market right now I did not wanted
to take more risk. So I got married latter and filled my wife 485
recently.

You really need to be married BEFORE your 485 get approuved, because
if your 485 get approuved before your wedding, you will need to bring your wife here under "familly" based immigration. There are a few YEARS delay with that process (3-6 years)....

Roger Cadoret

No Title

Thanks guys for your input ,i have another question related to I-94 and 485.

I heard that before applying 485 you have to change your I-94 dates to current company H1B visa dates. Because i have I-94 from my previous company and visa in my passport from my previous company where both are valid until 06/2003. So in order to get new I-94 with current company visa dates do i need to leave the country and re enter again to change I94 dates?

Pls. advice.

Thanks again
raj

please clarify

This is my situation, i-140 approved, planning to get married in march 2002,
can i file 485 now for myself, add wife later. In that case, can wife come on H4, and what should be the answer to the question in Of-156, :" has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa on ur behalf?" I would greatly appreciate ur response.
Thanx

In my opinion,

you can apply for I-485 now, and then add your wife after marriage. She can enter the US on a H4. As regards OF-156, you would answer \'NO\' as you would not have filed a immigrant visa on her behalf before she arrives in the US; here I am assuming that you will add her to your I-485 (i.e apply for immigrant visa) only after her arrival in the US.
Bottomline is that you should get married and add your wife before I-485 approval. I am not a lawyer and the above represents just my opinion.

This is what I am doing

Spoke to Lawyer, his opinion is to apply together. That would cut down processing time as well as extra paper work for the lawyer.
because you can send your wife\'s application only after you get your case number. and then it will take some more time to validate your wifes document and will delay your case
I am getting married this week, and will apply for 485

Just Get Registered

Depending on your personal situation, if it is possible for you to get registered in India (I dont know the documents needed though) and get a certificate of marriage, you can go ahead and file for both of you after that is done.