3yr marriage based Interview Question

sfbayguy

Registered Users (C)
Folks who applied based on marriage to USC and included copy of spouse of passport with n-400 application:

1. Did you take your spouse's original passport with you to the int.
2. Did the int. officer review spouse's original passport.

The reason I ask is my spouse is going to be out of the country for a week on business during the week of my interview, so your guidance based on experiences is very much appreciated.

INS does not really checking your married life there. if your spouse was born here then take her birth certificate. Marriage creitifcate is a must. My interview was smooth because i submitted every thing in advance. I submitted (joint tax returns, utility bills, bank statements, my wife's birth cretificate, marraige certificate). all the interviewee asked me for was to show the health insurance cards with my wife name on it.

sfbayguy

I was asked to present both nat cert and passport of my husband. I did not bring his passport since he was out of town for business trip and on the other hand I thought nat cert is good enough for proof of his citizenship. I was then asked to mail back copy of his passport.
I think it is fine and you may just make a copy of her passport and bring it to the interview. If your wife needs to go for the trip then just go as planned.

As you already read my interview experience...I just cuirous what do you plan to answer if officer asks where is your wife? ;)

I submitted a copy of the relevant pages of her passport and a copy of her birth certificate with the application. I'll make a full copy of the passport (all pages incl. blank ones) and take it to the int. I'll of course have her original birth certificate too.

sfbayguy said:
I submitted a copy of the relevant pages of her passport and a copy of her birth certificate with the application. I'll make a full copy of the passport (all pages incl. blank ones) and take it to the int. I'll of course have her original birth certificate too.

Great preparation. You will have a smooth one :D

sfbayguy said:
Folks who applied based on marriage to USC and included copy of spouse of passport with n-400 application:

1. Did you take your spouse's original passport with you to the int.
2. Did the int. officer review spouse's original passport.

The reason I ask is my spouse is going to be out of the country for a week on business during the week of my interview, so your guidance based on experiences is very much appreciated.
Hey what happened in your case?

Sony

My wife lost her birth certificate and now it is being asked for the interview. Wouldn't her passport alone be proof? Where do you get the birth cert.?

You should be able to get a duplicate birth cert issued from the relevant authority. If you have a copy of the certificate, use the information on it to get a duplicate.

I had included a copy of the original cert. with my appln and took the original to the int. For me the officer, did not ask for the original, however, I would recommend that you take the original (i.e. duplicate) with you.

All the best.