300,000 plus applications recd. So India 485 waiters screwed for another 5 years?

DSLstart

Registered Users (C)
Source: immigration-law.com

More Than 300,000 July 2007 VB I-485 Applications Reportedly Received

The final tally has yet to be completed, but according to the New York Times, the USCIS received more than 300,000 applications. The report indicates that the agency has received about 300,000 applications July 1, accoridng to the USCIS sources, but at the time of the news media's contact yesterday, the USCIS was still receiving applications for employment visas . Consequently, the total tally of applications received in the last six weeks was yet to be made available. Reportedly the USCIS was swamped by the applications it had already received, which was more than double the annual limit of 140,000 employment visas. As we reported earlier, in the three months before July the agency received an average of 54,700 applications a month for I-485 applications including employment based as well as family based.
The number turns out to be somewhat lighter than this website anticipated, but considering the annual quota of 140,000, it will take number of years for these cases to leave the green card processing pipeline unless the Congress passes a legislation reforming the employment-based immigration system.

Injustice to older applicants

As long as USCIS establishes cut off dates on priority dates and processes applications slowly, then this huge deluge of applications only will have limited effect on slowing down applications. It will only slow down issuance of EAD cards, APs etc for all applications as these 300K would have to cycle through again and again every year along with older applications.

But if a law gets passed in the congress to increase EB quota or recapture visas, then USCIS will be forced to process all applications without establishing priority date cutoffs, in which case major sufferers will be the people who have older priority dates and could'nt file 485 sooner due to being stuck in labor backlogs or land into name check blackholes in 485 etc.

So passage of a law to increase EB quota will have a highly detrimental effect on older applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its only 300 K that means all backlog will be over in 2 years and everyone cam wait for 2 years. Initially estimate was 750 K so the wait was 5 years. If its just 300 K I am so much happy. I see the linght towards the end of the tunnel.

My understanding is the 300K figure include derivatives. They have their own, independent I-485 (independent other than that their eligibility and approvability depend on their primary applicant).

30000 application multiplied by average of two family members means 600000 by itself

If its only 300 K that means all backlog will be over in 2 years and everyone cam wait for 2 years. Initially estimate was 750 K so the wait was 5 years. If its just 300 K I am so much happy. I see the linght towards the end of the tunnel.

Not to throw pessimism into your predictions. But with a regular average of 54000 new 485 applications per month (per USCIS), I am still waiting in line for something like 4 years with no end in sight. Not sure what your rationale for 750k...5 year logic is...!?

balaji78

This 300k plus applications includes derivatives also.

but dont know how far retro will hit for EB3 india...

Any info abt backlog labor pending ...?

EB3 india nsc
pd: july 02
rd: dec 04
ad: waiting??????????????

Not to throw pessimism into your predictions. But with a regular average of 54000 new 485 applications per month (per USCIS), I am still waiting in line for something like 4 years with no end in sight. Not sure what your rationale for 750k...5 year logic is...!?
don't worry ....4 years these days is nothing....see my signature ..I have been close to 5 years now...

you were lcky to have atleast 485 filed couple years ago and get EAD/AP o relse you would know the pain of H1 stamping everytime you visit home country

Yes, for ROW, that might be true.

However, for applicants from India, China, and other retrogressed countries, it's a totally different ball game.

Each country gets a maximum quota of about 10,000 visas per year. So, out of the 300K applications, even if about 100k are from India, that would imply an average waiting time of 10 years for India applicants, not to mention the additional time due to the already backlogged EB petitions from India.

Don't want to make gloomy predictions, but thought I'll paint a realistic picture.

But the unused numbers of the ROW can be used to high demand countries in the fourth quater, so that means, the 10k visas/year is not exact calculation, it can be more.

To have unused numbers from ROW, wouldn't that imply that pretty much all ROW applications for that fiscal year would already have to have been approved? Assuming name check and everything is cleared, of course.

I don't think I've seen any statistics as to how many applicants are ROW vs. India/Mexico/China/Philippines, so I'm not sure if ROW use all their visa numbers.