30 monhts out of the 5 years??

livingitup

I was under the impression an alien resident had to reside in the Us for 5 consecutive years ( give or take a few months, as long as it did not exceed 6 months) prior to applying for your citizenship. However, I recently came across this:

You must have resided for at least:

Thirty months in the U.S. during the previous five years (18 months during the previous three years for spouses of U.S. citizens) preceding your application for
naturalization

Three months in the USCIS district where you are filing your application for naturalization

So my questions are:
1. out of the 5 years, i really only have to live 30 months out of the 5 years before applying for my citizenhip?

Thanks for your imput

I know someone has to be outside US for less than 6 months in order to maintain US residency.
How these 6 months would apply throughout 1 year?
Let say, i leave the US on october 30th 2005, so i'll be out of US for 2 months in 2005 and then i can still be outside US for another 6 months in year 2006.
Please shed some lights on this issue.

thanks

JoeF said:
Out of these 5 years, you have to actually physically be in the US for 30 months. And, you have to reside in the district where you file for the 3 months directly before filing.

Does this mean that 3 yrs after I recieve my green card, MY family can be out of USA on REP for say 18 months, come back to United states and after three months WE ALL file for our citizenship ?

One other thing, why are people saying here that you become eligible to file for USC after 4 yrs and 1 month ? Isn't it 4 yrs and 9 months ?

How do you count 30 months?

This 30 months in last 5 year physical presence requirement is a little confusing.
What does 30 months mean - exact and complete calendar months, where even a day out means don't count that month of presence? Or does it mean 6th Aug to 6th Sep = 1 month?
Or is it simply number of days of physical presence divided by 30? In that case, why talk of thiry months? Why not just say 900 or 930 days?

Thanks in advance for your replies,
RMJ2000

harvydonald said:
It is not that complicated...
Fill out the eligiility worksheet for your scenario ....

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/wsinstruct.htm

The section JoeF quoted is clear.

The eligibility worksheet (suggested by Harveydonald) doesn't help. The worksheet asks whether you have been present for 30 months. The answer to that question is what I'm trying to arrive at. The worksheet doesn't offer further help with that question.

Thank you both Harvydonald and JoeF for your replies.