• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

30% disqualified entries?

I understand your argument but people would say that's discriminatory.

Discriminatory?

If you win you must prove you can support yourself in the US, either with money (I think 15.000USD per person and year), or by a job...if you don't have either say good bye to the Green Card!!...thus if you don't have the 500 bucks to apply, what are you doing the day of the interview???

I don't see any discrimination here..

I try to understand the rationale behind submitting fake entries, like the phonebook fraud, myself and it just makes no sense. I can foresee DOS limiting entries based on IP address as a means of curtailing these fraudsters who take away people's chances without them even knowing.
This is so true. If these persons enter the lottery to which those fraudsters used their information in the phone book, then these innocent people will be in a sense submitting more than one entry which will disqualify them.

What is that phonebook fraud? Can someone explain? My guess would be taking names on phonebook & submiting them with wrong pictures if possible to disqualify them... Am I correct?
& If this true, then the fraudster might submit hundres & hundres if not thousand of entries each in order for that fraud to be efficient

What is that phonebook fraud? Can someone explain? My guess would be taking names on phonebook & submiting them with wrong pictures if possible to disqualify them... Am I correct?
& If this true, then the fraudster might submit hundres & hundres if not thousand of entries each in order for that fraud to be efficient

I have never heard about it until somebody here talked about it recently. You are correct but the submissions are not aimed at disqualifying people they just use peoples name with false info to maximize their chance of winning. If someone whose name was submitted by this scam artist enters on their own then they risk disqualification through no fault of theirs.

Discriminatory?

If you win you must prove you can support yourself in the US, either with money (I think 15.000USD per person and year), or by a job...if you don't have either say good bye to the Green Card!!...thus if you don't have the 500 bucks to apply, what are you doing the day of the interview???

I don't see any discrimination here..

I understand your point clearly BUT at the application stage, one can argue that it is in fact discriminatory to exclude persons because they cannot afford the application fee. I agree though that if this move was possible then it would discourage people who know they do not qualify from applying. It would also severely limit the opportunity to submit multiple entries.