3 years degree EB3, 140 at NSC - please advice

I have a question, when a case is reopened with MTR / APPEAL will the case be given a new number or will it continue on the old number given for the first time. :confused:

Do not think of MTR/ Appeal. All these lawyers/misguided people would tell you to do that. An appeal will not help in this case whatsoever. This will take about 17 months and your case will get DENIED.

Better to file another I-140. I have heard on these forums that electronic filing of I-140 will ensure that case will go to Texas. I am not sure how far that is true. In Texas normally 3 year degree will get approved with proper course by course evaluation.

Contact trustforte or any other evaluator for cheaper course by course evaluation. The degree people charge an arm and leg (may be more) for evaluations.

Hi All, I got a query on my I-140 for my 3 yr degree. Actually in my case, I have two Bachelors. One in B.Sc Mathematics(3 yrs) and another one in B.Tech. (again 3 yrs). As the combination of degree is not allowed, the USCIS wants the B.Tech degree to evaluated as eqyuivalent to the US bachelors degree. I am getting a letter from my University stating that this is equivalent to US bachelors as I enrolled in B.Tech after my B.Sc as "Adavncement studies" - meaning that I skipped the first year due to my prior 3 year degree. The letter was well formatted. MY QUESTION is do I need another evaluation here stating that my B.Tech is equivalent to US bachelors degree. Please share your thoughts.

Looks like you did your graduation from MIT. I too went through this pain. I did a course by course evaluation. Filed again, case got approved. See my signature. PM me, and we can discuss further if you want. Also which center was your case filed in?

Murthy Takes Action : Education Abroad and I-140s
Posted May 02, 2003

The Law Office of Sheela Murthy has obtained information that may prove helpful to many whose I-140 petitions are pending with the BCIS or those whose I-140s were previously denied, because of the absence of a four-year degree from a foreign university. Attorneys in our firm took the initiative to contact the INS/BCIS (Service) and we have now obtained a favorable interpretation from the Service in the form of a letter opinion received by our law firm. We recently were granted permission to release a January 7, 2003 INS (now BCIS) letter defining the term "a foreign equivalent degree" for purposes of the employment-based second preference category (EB2) or employment-based third preference (EB3) category. The need for clarification arose because the EB2 category is for members of the professions holding advanced degrees or persons of exceptional ability. The advanced degree is defined as a U.S. academic or professional degree or a "foreign equivalent degree" beyond that of a baccalaureate. Also included in the EB2 and EB3 categories are individuals with baccalaureate degrees or "foreign equivalent degrees" and, in the case of the EB2, the education is followed by at least five years of progressive experience. In the latter situation, the bachelor's degree (or foreign equivalent) plus five years of relevant experience is deemed equivalent to an advanced degree.

Some BCIS officers and Service Centers were interpreting the phrase "a foreign equivalent degree" in the EB2 / EB3 context to be exclusively limited to situations in which single degrees were issued that were equivalent to the U.S. baccalaureate degree. This would disqualify many individuals who held a combination of degrees or Diplomas or other certifications that, taken together, equaled the requirement of a U.S. degree. Efren Hernandez III, then INS Director, Business and Trade Services, clarified that the term "degree" is not limited only to cases in which one has a single degree from a single educational institution. For example, a person with a three-year degree in mathematics from a university in India and a one-year diploma in computer science from a vocational institution who is found by an accredited evaluations company to have the equivalent of a 4-year computer science degree from an accredited university in the U.S. now may obtain the I-140 petition approval. In the last two or three years we have seen the INS/BCIS deny such cases. We now learn that, based on the efforts of The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, the educational requirement on the labor certification forms may be satisfied with the combined studies from several institutions, as long as that education is assessed by a credentials evaluation service and found to be equivalent to a U.S. degree.

Mr. Hernandez also clarified that the five years of experience may be accrued either in the U.S. or abroad. However, for this requirement an actual baccalaureate degree or its foreign equivalent is required. Unlike some other provisions of U.S. immigration law, it is not possible in this case to substitute experience for education in order to meet the baccalaureate degree requirement.

This clarification will benefit many who have experienced problems or denials due to the nature of their educational credentials. This letter should be very helpful in obtaining approvals for those who are now eligible. We saw approvals soon after our Office obtained this opinion letter from Mr. Hernandez. We thank Mr. Hernandez for his willingness to clarify this important issue for our law firm. It can now benefit our clients as well as thousands of other eligible professionals in obtaining I-140 approvals in the appropriate category from BCIS based, on their education from different educational institutions.

http://www.murthy.com/news/ukmurtak.html

Looks like you did your graduation from MIT. I too went through this pain. I did a course by course evaluation. Filed again, case got approved. See my signature. PM me, and we can discuss further if you want. Also which center was your case filed in?

My case is filed in Nebraska and currently coordinating with my Univ to get the letter that this equivalent to 4 yrs B.S. I am not sure whether this would work out. Also my lawyer suggested to get evaulation from Degree People but their fees is too high that I would rather go for refiling my case. I have to submit my query by this week. Not sure what to do. Since you also got through the same pain, I would apreciate if you share your thoughts. I sent a PM with my contact details. Thanks.

There are notes of the liason meetings from 2006 and 2007 as well as a discussion at the 2007 AILA conference that these are done on a case by case basis. It is not true that CIS does not approve a 3 year degree as equivalent to a US bachelor's degree. Many are approved when proper evidence is submitted.

Sheila,
Can you please give TRUE statistics of how many cases got approved and how many got denied with your EXPENSIVE evaluation.

This will be good to know.

hey,
who ever what to apply new labour with 3 years degree make sure that labour demands for Associate degree not for bachelor's degree, ask your lawer to mention associate degree in EB-3 labour

statistics

Sheila,
Can you please give TRUE statistics of how many cases got approved and how many got denied with your EXPENSIVE evaluation.

This will be good to know.

Email me at sheila at danzig dot com and I will be happy to call you and discuss this and explain the cost break down for the expert opinion letters. I am not here to solicit business in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello United Nations.

I am also in same boat. My I-140 is also deny on the same ground like
140nav. I have B.Sc. degree from India + 15 years experience but labor I-750 column 14 shows: Bachelor.
They gave reason of denial as 3 years of Indian foreign degree is not equilent as 4 years US Bachelor. I got first RFE and I answered it with new evaluation report done by degreepeople which was in very detail, showing more then 120 credit same as US BS has but even though they deny my I-140.
I filed appeal and also filed new I- 140 and waiting now.
I filed I-485 too and got FP and about to get EAD.
Please share your experience and let us know if you feel something which can help us.
Once again thanks in advance.
Ram
(Joan327@hotmail.com)

hello,
hope you guys don't know before applying for labour that 3yrs of indian bachelors degree is not equal to 4yrs of american bachelors degree
and
I am not sure how much percentage of chances do u guys have to get I-140 approved after the REF with this issue

but
As far as i know the simple way to get the I-140 approval is ask your lawyer to check the Associate degree option under the coloumn minimum level required in labour , which is equalent to the 3 years bachelors degree in india and is eligible for EB3,

Thats where the problem starts. Lot of people have got labor certified already. Looks like the only solution is to start new PERM with proper wordings for the education requirements. But then life starts all over again
hello,
hope you guys don't know before applying for labour that 3yrs of indian bachelors degree is not equal to 4yrs of american bachelors degree
and
I am not sure how much percentage of chances do u guys have to get I-140 approved after the REF with this issue

but
As far as i know the simple way to get the I-140 approval is ask your lawyer to check the Associate degree option under the coloumn minimum level required in labour , which is equalent to the 3 years bachelors degree in india and is eligible for EB3,

Email me at sheila at danzig dot com and I will be happy to call you and discuss this and explain the cost break down for the expert opinion letters. I am not here to solicit business in any way.

Please answer in this FORUM, for every one to see the success rate and failure rate for all the evaluations you have done. This will indicate whether the money being paid to you is worth it.

Till you post this fact here, no point trying to get business from these forums (even though you claim otherwise or tell people that you are helping them).

success rate

Please answer in this FORUM, for every one to see the success rate and failure rate for all the evaluations you have done. This will indicate whether the money being paid to you is worth it.

Till you post this fact here, no point trying to get business from these forums (even though you claim otherwise or tell people that you are helping them).

I have posted the success rate before. I thought you were asking about the fee. Not everyone gets back to me - though I instruct anyone who gets a querie or denial to come back for help in a (no charge) follow up. Based on those who get back to me, I would estimate that, for the Indian 3 year degree, we are running at about 80% + approvals. One lawyer has had over 90% approved. The lawyers would not come back if we were not getting most of the cases approved. For those with documentation (transcripts, syllabus, or university letter) that show the number of classroom hours along with our professors letters and research (500+ pages) file, as far as I know all have been approved to date.

The BEST approach for EB3 (this does not apply if filing for EB2) is when the Labor cert is filed either have the lawyer enter 3 years of education, Associates degree, or three or four year bachelor's degree. I have been told this also must appear in the ad as well.
If you have a second accredited diploma or degree then the lawyer can indicate that combining is allowed (again - this is only allowed for EB3). In these cases you would simply need a simple inexpensive evaluation.

The complex expanded report plus professors letters, etc. is need only when the labor was not filled out this way or it is for EB2, where the bachelor's degree must be a single source degree equivalence to a US bachelor's degree.

H1b Pending

Quick question, please, guys:

My h1b (premium processing) extension is pending (140 approved).
Can I travel out of the country before the approval and then get the approval documents sent to me in India? (Keeping my fingers crossed that an RFE doesn;t come)

Thanks much

Guys, what does this mean? My LUD and message changed today for I290B and 140 which were at AAO for a long time...

"On November 6, 2007, the Administrative Appeals Office returned this case. If your case was remanded or your appeal was sustained, we will notify you of our action within 60 days of the date of the AAO decision"

Hi Guys,

Is there really ANY chance for a person with 3 yr degree/ bachelors to apply under EB2 category at all??? If yes, what is the best way to apply?

3 Years BA + 2 Years PGDBM for I-140-EB2

Hi,

I got my perm approved 2 weeks back for 4 years us equivalent degree + 60 months experience.

I have 3 Years BA + 2 Years Accredited PGDBM.

Can I file my 140 in EB2?
What are the chances?

Hi,

I have Bsc(3 years) + MSc(2 years) both from computers from INDIA with 7 years of experience. I am planning to file my GC. Please suggest me whoch is the best way either EB3 or EB2. Is there a chance that I can file under EB2 with these qualifications?

3+2

Depending on what your labor certificate says in terms of the educational requirements you can have an EXCELLENT chance of approval with a 3+2. We have had all that we know approved in recent months as we have strong documentation for these cases. But I need to see the documents and the edu requirements. Go to www.ccifree.com - it is a short form (there is no charge for us to review it) - just fill it out and fax or email the documents and we will get back to you within two days. State that you would like "Sheila to call you" on the form and I will do so after examining your case.

Hi Shiela,

Thank you for your inspiration. It keep me hopes on my GC.
I did not apply for GC yet. I am in the process to get ready my self with my employer. With your suggestions, what is the best idea to mention in the labour requirement, so that we can provide the necessary documentation for my GC.