3 years degree EB3, 140 at NSC - please advice

neraj
look out for post related to 3 year bachelors + 2 year masters in immigration-law.com. I believe they would even accept this position as long as we try to prove credit hours equivalency by comparing 5 years (3+2) versus (4+2)

MSc

Hi sheila,

I had filed my I-140 with NSC under EB2 category. Column 14 of certified labor mentions:
M.S. or equiv. degree. Experience for job offered is 1 year.

I have 3 year Bacholer's of commerce and 2 year's Master's in Commerce Degree
1 year Post graduate diploma in Computer Applications(full time),
6 months Post graduate Diploma in software Application engineering(full time).
I also have couple of other diplomas.

Besides I have 6 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE in IT FIELD (as on the date when my labor was filed).
MY LABOR DOES NOT MENTION ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE. IT JUST SAY MS OR EQUIVELENT DEGREE. CAN THIS 6 YEAR PROGRESSIVE EXPERIENCE now be included if I get RFE ?

I will really appreciate your reply.

Thanks
Neeraj.

Neeraj: My 140 just got approved last week from TCS. My labor said Masters (explicitly mentioning 6 years collage and NO mention of EQUIVALENT) and 2 years experience at least, + 5 years in related field after masters. I had BSc Honors(3 years) + MSc Honors(2 Years) + PGDCSA ( 1 Year ) + 6 years experience. I also did evaluation in 2004 which I attached with the application.
I think you don't have to worry at all, mine was more rigid case. Even then if you get an RFE a proper evaluation should work. Just keep your H1b active in case something happens. I researched a lot with Masters cases and they hardly get rejected, I only saw one case but I think that was also approved after a response. On internet there is a lot of cry about BSc 3 years but that is only for the eb3 candidates who only have BSc. One of my friend had to go to India because he had only BSc. Here are the points to note
- I am 100% sure it will get approved because you are in Masters category and it is very complex to reject that case.
- If denied they will give you chance in EB3.
- Keep H1b active
- You have many chances with MTR and apeal etc.
- NSC may be more rigid, but you have diplomas to support the number of years. They take it case-by-case.
- Did you mention about experience in 140 application from employer? I think your 6 years experience will be considered.

I think when you have so many degrees with experience and if approver is thinking collectivity and comparing to masters he may get a feeling that you are over qualified and approve it. Only people who may get denied might have only BSc(3) + MSc(2) and nothing else, which clearly seems less than US Masters to me. But still in that you can prove BSc India is equivalent to BSc US in credits.

Neeraj: My 140 just got approved last week from TCS. My labor said Masters (explicitly mentioning 6 years collage and NO mention of EQUIVALENT) and 2 years experience at least, + 5 years in related field after masters. I had BSc Honors(3 years) + MSc Honors(2 Years) + PGDCSA ( 1 Year ) + 6 years experience. I also did evaluation in 2004 which I attached with the application.
I think you don't have to worry at all, mine was more rigid case. Even then if you get an RFE a proper evaluation should work. Just keep your H1b active in case something happens. I researched a lot with Masters cases and they hardly get rejected, I only saw one case but I think that was also approved after a response. On internet there is a lot of cry about BSc 3 years but that is only for the eb3 candidates who only have BSc. One of my friend had to go to India because he had only BSc. Here are the points to note
- I am 100% sure it will get approved because you are in Masters category and it is very complex to reject that case.
- If denied they will give you chance in EB3.
- Keep H1b active
- You have many chances with MTR and apeal etc.
- NSC may be more rigid, but you have diplomas to support the number of years. They take it case-by-case.
- Did you mention about experience in 140 application from employer? I think your 6 years experience will be considered.

I think when you have so many degrees with experience and if approver is thinking collectivity and comparing to masters he may get a feeling that you are over qualified and approve it. Only people who may get denied might have only BSc(3) + MSc(2) and nothing else, which clearly seems less than US Masters to me. But still in that you can prove BSc India is equivalent to BSc US in credits.
Thanks buddy for the kind words. It is so nice to have friends who understand your frustrations and anexity. Thanks again for cheering me up. God bless you

Regards,
Neeraj.

neraj
look out for post related to 3 year bachelors + 2 year masters in immigration-law.com. I believe they would even accept this position as long as we try to prove credit hours equivalency by comparing 5 years (3+2) versus (4+2)
Thanks buddy. How do I see post in that site please guide me.

Regards,
Neeraj.

06/01/2007: NSC's General Guidelines for EB-2 Educational Requirements and EB-3 Education Requirements [Retracted]

[Post Script 06/07/2007: The AILA NSC Liaison Committee released a clarification that (1) the involved liaison issue is related only, repeat only to the EB-2 and Master's degree question and any statement in this posting on "Bachelor's degree equivalent" issues relating to the 3-year degree is not necessarily acceptable as the NSC appears to continuously require a U.S. bachelor's degree or single sources of foreign equivalent degree, not foreign equivalent education; (2) there is "no fixed rule" the NSC has adopted on these issues; and (3) NSC has not reversed its prior position on requiring single sources degrees for bachelor's degree equivalency.]
According to the AILA-NSC Liaison minutes of 04/12/2007, the following standards generally applies in determining EB-2 requirement:
(1) U.S. master’s degree – as long as it is in the field required no additional documents would be required
(2) 4 yr bachelor’s degree + 2 yr master’s degree (India) – with degrees in the same or related fields this will generally be considered the equivalent to a U.S. master’s degree with no additional documents required
(3) 3 yr bachelor’s degree + 3 yr master’s degree (India) – with degrees in the same or related fields this will generally be equivalent to a U.S. master’s degree with no additional documents required
(4) 3 yr bachelor’s degree + 1 yr postgraduate diploma + 2 yr master’s degree (India) with degrees in the same or similar field : generally be considered the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree plus one additional year of education so the beneficiary would also need to have 5 yrs progressive experience. If the postgraduate diploma is determined to be progressive postgraduate education that is a continuation of the 3 yr bachelor’s degree it is possible that this would be considered the equivalent to a U.S. Master’s degree and there would be no need to establish 5 yrs progressive experience.
(5) 3 yr bachelor’s degree + 2 yr master’s degree (India) – Generally this would be the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree + 1 year and would require 5 yrs progressive experience to qualify under the 2nd preference category: However, foreign credential evaluation using the following additional evidence could make it to EB-2, Master's degree equivalent:
Examples of comparable U.S. master’s degree programs requiring only one year to complete (indicating that a total of 5 years of undergraduate and graduate level education is sufficient); or
Credential evaluations that provide a detailed comparison of credit hours completed by the beneficiary for the 3 year bachelor’s degree program with credit hours required by comparable U.S. bachelor’s degree programs.

(6) 3 yr bachelor’s degree + 2 yr master’s degree (India) + 5 yrs progressive, post-master’s degree experience – Generally the educational degrees would be determined to be the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s + 1 year and the beneficiary would meet the statutory requirement
(7) 3 yr bachelor’s degree + 2 yr master’s degree + 1 yr postgraduate diploma (India) – Generally this would be the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree + 1 year and would require 5 yrs progressive experience to qualify under the 2nd preference category. If the postgraduate diploma is determined to be progressive postgraduate education that is a continuation of the 3 yr bachelor’s degree or the 2yr master’s degree it is possible that this would be considered the
equivalent to a U.S. Master’s degree and there would be no need to establish 5 yrs progressive experience
(8) If a master’s degree is required and the beneficiary does not have a U.S. master’s degree in the specified field of study the petitioner should be prepared to submit sufficient documentation to establish that the education that the beneficiary possesses is the equivalent to a U.S. master’s degree in the required field.
[Matthew Oh Note: The positions of the NSC for the situations in (4), (5), (6), and (7) appear to have loosen up substantially and very flexible and accomodative. Very good news. We thank the NSC leaders for the new policy on these issues.]
Education Requirement in Labor Certification Not Restricted to U.S. Bachelor or Foreign Equivalent Degree: Following will be acceptable for "Skilled Worker" catogory of EB-3:

(1) Will accept a combination of degrees or diplomas;
(2). Will accept 3 or 4 yr degrees;
(3). Will accept education evaluation prepared by a qualified credential
evaluation service;
(4) Will accept educational equivalency evaluation prepared by qualified
evaluation service or in accordance with 8 CFR § 214.2(h)(4)(iii)(D);
(5) Will accept a bachelor’s equivalent based on a combination of
education as determined by a professional evaluation service;
(6) One year of experience in the job offered will substitute for one year of
education toward a bachelor’s degree;
(7) Will accept single degree or any combination of degrees, diplomas or
professional credentials determined to be equivalent by a qualified
evaluation service.
Since there is no difference between the Professional EB-3 and the Skilled Worker EB-3 for the purpose of the immigrant visa numbers in the Visa Bulletin, sometimes it can be very important that the labor certification is drafted such a way that if the alien cannot meet the Professional EB-3, the alien has a backup of Skilled Worker EB-3 so that EB-3 I-140 petition is not denied.
[Matthew Oh Note: Again, the NSC has loosen up somewhat on this issue, accomodating a part of Grace Korean Methodist Church decision on this Skilled Worker issue, which the NSC one time applied very narrow reading of the langugae in the labor certfication application and denied I-140 petition unless the skilled worker option was met and requested by the petition. We want to reiterate our "thanks" to the NSC leaders for taking a reasonable interpretation of the regulations.]

Neeraj
Read situation (5) in its entirety

I-140 approval after RFE

Anyone who received an approval after sending a response to an RFE generated for Education Qualification(B.S and Foreign Equivalent). I have 3 yrs Bachelor + 2 yrs of PGD in MIS from India. My labor wants a BS from US or foreign equivalent. This is an EB2 case.

I had received the RFE on my premium processing RFE on June 1st. We replied back on June 7th but not heard anything back from USCIS. USCIS website has also not been updated to mention whether rhey received the response sent by my company orn ot.

Please respond and share your experiences. This is important.

I-140 Approved after RFE on Education

We filed my I-140 in October last year. Later we upgraded to PP in May this year. UCSIS sent an RFE after a week of Premium processing. It was on educational as per my attorney. They went ahead and evaluated my education and according to them they responded back during 2nd week of June. But the online status said they received the response only on 6/27. Not sure who is right. I saw this morning that they sent Approval Notice.

What a relief!
On to filing I-485.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nightmares of Premium Processing

I-140 approved AFTER INTENT TO DENY

I upgrade my I-140 to Premium Processing on 5/21/07
I got RFE INTENT TO DENY on 5/29/07
RFE was for Educational evaluation saying that my education evaluation report from year 1999 and experience letters submitted to labor department are not good enough as per the requirement shown in ETA 750 form.

I have 3 years Diploma from India and 17 years of work experience in the same profession before filing for the labor. I am on 8th year H1B Extension right now which expires in October 2007.

My attorney submitted two detail course by course evaluation reports fro two different agencies. I gave him experience letters from all past employers with details of job duties and description. Plus provided expert opinion letters of Professor/ teachers from Californian Universities comparing courses from India and USA; comparison of Number of institutional hours and credits. Also in year 2003 I got accepted for the graduate program in Californian University I submitted the acceptance letter as well.

Total expense (for Premium Processing + replying RFE with evaluation reports, expert letters etc. and attorney charges) $2550/-

My attorney says almost 90% of his clients get this kind of RFE from NSC if filed for Premium Processing.

RFE replied 6/26/07 I-140 approved 6/28/07

Next week I am going to file I-485 hopefully as dates are current.

I THINK YOU WILL BE FINE AND SAFE BECAUSE YOUR LAWYER HAS TAKEN CARE WELL IN ADVANCE AT THE TIME OF FILLING 750. BEST OF LUCK.
RAM

Hi,

my labor approved with the following options :

col : 14
college : 4
college degree required : bachelor or equivalent
major field of study: computer science*
exp : 1 year software engineer or programmer

col : 15
*or equivalent in education and experience

I have 3 years bachelors degree and 1 year computer diploma + 6.5 years experience. I am about to file 140 at NSC, what are my chances of getting approved with this. please shed some light on it.

thanks

what now???

My I-140 was approved last week after going PP , this week I was about to do the medical exam but it dosent make a diference now, USCIS is not longer taking any new application for I-485. nice move from them , after many people expend thousands of dollars , just to get scamed
any sugestion??

Congrats boston28.
Good Luck for your 485 filing in future.
Did you get any RFE on your I-140 for 3 years degree, you have posted your approval in 3 years degree EB3 issue thread?

SG

My I-140 was approved last week after going PP , this week I was about to do the medical exam but it dosent make a diference now, USCIS is not longer taking any new application for I-485. nice move from them , after many people expend thousands of dollars , just to get scamed
any sugestion??

yes indeed I got a RFE but it was just company taxes, after I sent the response , the clear my case in three days, the whole thing lasted 3 weeks since I applied for PP, I would rather hve given the money away , I feel tricked now

Congratulation,

Let us know about your RFE on 3 years degree.
We are waiting for NSC to accept Indian 3 years degree against 4 years US BS degree.
BEST OF LUCK.

Ram,

any sugestion??

approval of i 140

Thank you for all.. I have 5 + years experience after masters... but my labor says masters + 2 years experience.. EB2 classification... no other alternative specified.. uscis denied i-140 saying my 3 years bachelors is not equivalent to us bachelors and masters is not valid on top of it as bachelors is not equivalent.. then they applied MTR with one more education evaluation & evaluation from a professor.. and attorney also applied my case to Texas( i dont know how he dit it,, but gave me SRC#)... with the MTR Nebraska considered 10+2+3+2 indian masters equivalent to usa masters and approved the i-140..

Hi Venky
congrats, can you pls share the info as to where you got your documents evaluated, cause and the lawyer, cause iam my self in the same situation
pls help
thanks

RFE on 3yr Degree - NSC PP

ETA Section 14 says - BS or equivalent experience , college-4 years, major filed of study - computer science. Experience - 3 years.
Section 15 has other special requirements listed.

My background is Bachelor of Commerce - 3 years india + Chartered Accountancy (ICAI) + Cost Accountancy (ICWAI)
Experience - 10 years in Systems Analysis

RFE - "...unlike nonimmgrant petitions for temp workers,employment-based immigrant visa petitions cannot make allowances to accept work experience, a combination of work experience and formal studies, or a series of certificates granted by different institutions for formal and/or informal study in determining a beneficiary's education qualifications.."
...submit a current evaluation to determine the level and major field of educational attainment..."

My H1B is up to sep 07.

How should I proceed... Gurus Plz help.

Thanks in advance

simple get an educational evaluation. with those certifications it shouldnt be a big deal. After all CA and ICWA are one of the toughest examinations probably in the whole world. You should be okay.

electronics == CS or related ?

Hello

I need help. I am trying to use Labor which requires BS in Computer Science or related. I have Bachelor of Engineering (4 year) in Electronics & Electrical Communication. Do you think I will get RFE? Can this RFE be handled?

Thanks for your help

140 -rfe

Hi Delicateone ,

I have my Brother got Denied I-140 Under EB2 , He has 3 year Diploma. The details about his case.

His Labour from Back log applied through NetScreen had been approved 2 months back (EB2 PD'2003 August), she applied her I-485/and I-140 Premium in Last week of June.

USCIS have denied her I-140 stating that she doesn't qulified for EB2 based on her education Qualification.

She has 3 years Dipoma and 8+ years Experiance.

But His PERM EB2/ I-140 some how approved, she did a mistake , She should have filed her I-485 with Approved PERM EB2/I-140.

But Now His lawyer is telling to Refile her denied I-140 with EB3 Category. We tried her Eduaction Evaluation From *****, They told, Quote below

"We could potentially evaluate your work experience (if you have 6 or more years of qualifying experience), together with your academic studies, to arrive at a Bachelor's-level equivalency. However, you would first have to verify with an attorney or similar that a Combined evaluation is allowed for your Visa category.".

Is it, HE can get her Evaluation with Combination of 3 year Diploma + 1 Year PGDCA + 5 years Progressive Experiance to equate Bachelor for EB3 , based on her RIR Labor.
Or He should some how get equalent of Bachelor 4 year degree as Single Source of Foregin Equalent for EB3 too.

It will be great if you could help me in ths regard.

Please kindly suggest, If can mail me satish_dharmal at yoo com.or personel message.

Thank you
Satish