3 months residence rule

ganita

Registered Users (C)
I moved from CA to Chicago on October 05. I started my job on October 08. I stayed in an hotel till November 03, when I moved to my present residence.. I'm eligible to apply for citizenship on Jan 24.
I'm just not sure about the definition of "resident" in the district you are applying to. Is it Oct. 5 or Nov. 3?

Is having a fixed residence a requirement? If I show to the immigration officer my flight ticket and a copy of my first paycheck or a letter from my employer that states my starting date will Oct. 5 be considered my first day or show I wait till Feb 3 to apply just to be safe?

Feb 3 is only 10 days after Jan 24; wait it out to avoid a dispute over the district residence requirement. Even if you'd be in the right by applying on Jan 24, an interviewer might not agree, which could lead to delays or a denial. If you're right you'll ultimately win the appeal, but do you want to spend the time and money for an appeal?

If you can avoid a potential controversy with USCIS by waiting a few days or even a few weeks, wait it out. They are known to wrongly deny applicants in close-cut scenarios. Last year there was somebody on the forum who had something like 915 days of physical presence (the requirement is 913 days). The interviewer recalculated the days with some wrong method which resulted in slightly less than 913, and issued a denial.

Also remember to file AR-11.

Thank you for your answer, Jackolantern. Do you know how much time in days do we have to be resident of the district we are applying to? I have been kinda bad with filling AR-11. I have to list almost 12 different address on my N-400 form and I think I filled an AR-11 only for the first one or two.

Even for the last move, I only filled it last week. I guess at the end it all depends on the officer discretion to give a definition of "residence". I can show that I have lived and worked in here beginning from Oct. 5 and have no relations to other addresses since I have no wife,kids or parents in the USA, but it's up to her at the end.

How about ID? Do I have to get an Illinois one? I don't drive, so I don't have a driver license, just a simple Identification card.