240 days grace period ending - Please Help

INS Nightmare

Registered Users (C)
I applied for h1 extn long back and its still pending in calif.
(visa expired in nov \'00)
my 240 day grace period ends on July 10. Im not sure if my h1 extn
will be approved by then.
Is there a way I could extend my stay ? or should I get out and wait out?
(I also applied for 485 , but not got the reciept yet)
Where do I stand ?
Please help.

No Title

I would suggest you get hold of IIO and ask him about your case. Sometimes IIO says, someone from petitioning employer or lawyer needs to call or inquire about H1 cases, so when you get hold of them just start with "Hi, I am representing company X (your employer) and my name is Mr. XXX, I would like to know about a case which has been applied from our corporation...blah...blah..."

I was in similar situation last year. What happened was my lawyer had sent out my h1 ext application in Feb. 2000 but at that time he did not have my LCA approved in his hands , so he sent out the application without LCA in order to file before my first H1 expiration. Then in May2000 I got RFE for LCA. On the other hand my lawyer had already mailed LCA sometimes in March 2000, but it never went to my file. So as soon as he got RFE, he sent it again. My case was then approved by end of May but I had never received approval from them. Here I was getting worried and frusted by september 2000. So finally I kept calling IIO almost everyday from my job. But from job you can call only a few time. So I took one day off from work, stayed home and kept calling IIO at NSC. Finally I got hold of a nice lady who answered all my questions and told me that she will make sure that the approval notice goes out in the mail. Week later I got approval for me and my wife\'s H4. So the conclusion is you keep calling. Only you will have to take the charge. Lawyer will not do anything. I hope this will give you some relief.

hamrahi

No Title

Thanks.
Will try to do that.
Also my company is trying to get help from AILA.
I donno what the hell they are gonna do.

No Title

If get I485 receipt, go to local office and get EAD for work.

Also, fax CSC and request JIT on your H1 extension. You have strong reason to ask them approve it in 2 weeks.