221g received for B1/B2 visa

induz_

Registered Users (C)
I have a GC here and my wife is a USC. We decided to bring my parents here for a small visit coming summer (we have been thinking about this for a while now) so they will have their first chance of traveling outside the country. Just a regular visit to regular tourist destination, nothing fancy.

Their visa appointment was set for the 27th of January in Chennai consulate. We requested for a Hindi interview. My mom is a homemaker and dad is a small time business owner who takes contracts with the military once in a while. I set their application so it shows that they are sponsoring themselves. They have strong family and financial ties in India and we are the only ones in my family who are in the US. Everything went well with their interview except when they asked my father's occupation. They replied in all truth what he did. They were then transferred to another officer who went into a little more detail about his profession. Even took the names of my father's siblings. Then he said that they are issuing the visa for my mom but my dad was issued a 221g stating more administrative processing is required for his case. I believe they just want to inquire about his role in the military contracts before giving him his visa and they are completely justified there. No further action is required by him.

This might be a more than common situation for all I know. And I understand there is nothing much that can be done about it now than wait. And Chennai consulate is good in that regards since you can track the status of the case online (their PDF document).

My only question is - how long does a 221g for a B1/B2 to get approved? Is it less than H1/L1? If anyone has been through a similar situation or if anyone knows more about it, please shed some light on it. Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could take anywhere from a few days to a few months. I know of cases where a period of 6 months passed after issuance of 221g, before a visa was finally issued.

My only question is - how long does a 221g for a B1/B2 to get approved?

Could take anywhere from a few days to a few months. I know of cases where a period of 6 months passed after issuance of 221g, before a visa was finally issued.

Thanks TC! He got approved a day after I created this post. Took them approximately 10 days which I think is super fast.