• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV winners from Tanzania-Karibuni

....yap...MOMO ur right....is beta to be with em kwa interview...well mine iz 7th AUGUST

Lol in that case I'll see you at the US Embassy because my interview is on the same day :)

I've done all my preparation so I'm taking it easy until the interview.

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - 14th June 2013
Police Clearance (TZ) - 13th June 2013
Police Clearance (UK) - 21st June 2013
Medicals - Completed 24th June 2013
Interview - Wednesday, August 7th 2013 @ 8am - US Embassy Tanzania
Visa Pick up - Hopefully August 11th
Departure Date - August 17th 2013
Port of Entry - Washington Dulles

Lol in that case I'll see you at the US Embassy because my interview is on the same day :)

I've done all my preparation so I'm taking it easy until the interview.

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
2nd NL - 14th June 2013

...yep yep...in two wiks time il be dan with my finals...opfully...ntawah b4...trh 7 august......

msaki2012

momo1980 will be at the embassy on the same date,so we just praying muweze pata visa without any problem.

...thanks ENGMTOLERA...inshallah....!!! then u have a higher case number...can recall that loooong period of waiting....almst a year hivi.....every month..cheking visa bulletin ...daaaah....but mda unakimbia sana...if ur working just andaa mazingira mapema...kama mwanafunzi..malizia unacho wish kumalizia..b4 hujasepa for guuwd...

all the beeeeest ENGMLRA....tupo p1

...thanks ENGMTOLERA...inshallah....!!! then u have a higher case number...can recall that loooong period of waiting....almst a year hivi.....every month..cheking visa bulletin ...daaaah....but mda unakimbia sana...if ur working just andaa mazingira mapema...kama mwanafunzi..malizia unacho wish kumalizia..b4 hujasepa for guuwd...

msaki2012 are you a university student?

...MOMO..yeep...a postgtaduate stdnt@law xul of TZ...hehehe..na shule inaisha January 2014...thanks for those 6 extra months ambazo zinatolewa...afta interview...cuz cjui ngefanyaye yan asee

All the best with your exams.

My company does work at times for the university and we're also a registered US Federal Government supplier in Tanzania aside from the other work we do so I'm taking my entrepreneurial expertise to the USA and setting up our first overseas base there.

2nd NL - 14th June 2013

My father has been emphasising the same thing as you and that is for us to purchase our first home as quickly as possible i.e. within the first 8 months of me moving there which means quickly finding work opportunities instead of faffing around and wasting time and money for nothing as the prices are increasing.

We would also be looking to buy outright instead of having the headache of mortgages and the first home would be to solidify establishing our new lives there and future there and act as our "home base" in America where we could all stay together when my parents flew over from Africa to visit.

The old man even suggested that if we were to find work within the same area with a max one hour drive (we sit in traffic for 2 hours on a 20 minute road everyday) then we should go for two houses in one shot and get a better deal from the realtor.

We did initially plan on a mortgage but the old man said we're wasting extra money on a 30 year mortgage and the monthly amounts we would save could be used for other expenses or to put into savings.

So far (depending on work of course), I am looking at homes in Tampa, Orlando (Sanford), Fort Lauderdale (Weston), and Houston outskirts (The Woodlands and such places). I'm trying to avoid the north east because I don't fancy long winters.

All the best with your exams.

My company does work at times for the university and we're also a registered US Federal Government supplier in Tanzania aside from the other work we do so I'm taking my entrepreneurial expertise to the USA and setting up our first overseas base there.

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
Port of Entry - Washin
i
wowowo...that's di credit....u immigrate wit a purpose..fully established...for others starting frm a scratch iz nat an option...

Affidavit of support

Am a DV 2014 winner CN AF5XXXX. Moro and all the contributors thank you so much. Am pretty sure you are helping so many people out there with very crucial information and knowledge.

I wish to get clear with the affidavit of support question, is it really mandatory for DV2014 beneficiaries? On reading the instructions and the steps to go through, step/stage 3 talks about civil documents almost similar but with a few documents unique to particular countries. They further proceed to show a list of documents to take to the interview but affidavit of support is not one of those.

Is it possible to hear/share a true experience from some one who has done this interview.

Thanks every one for your priceless views.

high case number for dv 2013

i won greencard lottery for fiscal year 2013, my number will be current on september 1st 2013,but i only have until september 30th 2012 to have my interview with USCIS.I called USCIS and they told me i have to file for expedite when i apply for change of status which i am planning to file on sept 1st.Currently i have set up an appointment with the local office so i can get more information.Also Department of state said if i wont change my status by sept 30th i will be disqualified for the lottery.I am just trying to find out if USCIS will be able to set up an interview withing a month,i am sure i am not the first on to be in this situation.

Nataka kujua maisha ya huko njee vibarua vinapatikana

Jamaji mimi nimeshinda dv2013 usaili nafanya September na pengine kuondoka mwezi huohuo nikipata visa sasa huko tunapoenda ukifika unaanza na kupiga jobu mfano mie nataka niende maryland kupitia dulles port of entry.... na pia apartment bei zake halafu ambao tupo dar tupeane namba za simu sisi ni watanzania. Tushikamane tunaweza...

Am a DV 2014 winner CN AF5XXXX. Moro and all the contributors thank you so much. Am pretty sure you are helping so many people out there with very crucial information and knowledge.

I wish to get clear with the affidavit of support question, is it really mandatory for DV2014 beneficiaries? On reading the instructions and the steps to go through, step/stage 3 talks about civil documents almost similar but with a few documents unique to particular countries. They further proceed to show a list of documents to take to the interview but affidavit of support is not one of those.

Is it possible to hear/share a true experience from some one who has done this interview.

Thanks every one for your priceless views.
mutu14
welcome/karibu sana
we are from the same boat(mji kasoro bahari),however on the case of affidavit just read this part

Diversity Visa Program: Visas provided are drawn from countries with low rates of immigration to the U.S. Unlike other immigrant types, Diversity Visas (DV) do not require a U.S. sponsor, and therefore a petition is not needed.

Step 2 - After the immigrant petition has been approved (excluding DV applicants) by USCIS, then the next step is preliminary processing for a visa with the Department of State, National Visa Center. Visit Immigrant Visa Processing – the National Visa Center for information related to:

Affidavit of Support
Required applicant documents (i.e. birth certificates, police reports, marriage/divorce certificates, etc.)
Medical Exam/Panel physician information
Interviews
2.also read on this

Nonimmigrant Visa for a Fiancé(e) (K-1)
... provide support. The Consular Officer may request that a Form I-134, Affidavit
of Support be submitted by the US citizen fiancé(e). ...
travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html - Jul 05, 2013
Nonimmigrant Visa for a Spouse (K-3)
... provide support. The Consular Officer may request that a Form I-134, Affidavit
of Support, be submitted by the US citizen spouse. ...
travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2993.html - Jun 19, 2013
Visa Application Forms
... I-864A, I-864W, or I-864EZ, select Affidavit of Support Forms, to download these
USCIS forms.
Important Note: The NVC cannot accept Form I-134 for immigrant ...
travel.state.gov/visa/forms/forms_1342.html - Jun 28, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:

Msaki2012
on my side everything is okay.
i will finish my master degree here in China on July 25,2014 kabla ya usahili,then, i will go back home TZ with Chinese police certificate,
Hopping that September next year i will be current,

Jamaji mimi nimeshinda dv2013 usaili nafanya September na pengine kuondoka mwezi huohuo nikipata visa sasa huko tunapoenda ukifika unaanza na kupiga jobu mfano mie nataka niende maryland kupitia dulles port of entry.... na pia apartment bei zake halafu ambao tupo dar tupeane namba za simu sisi ni watanzania. Tushikamane tunaweza...

For the sake of understanding as all forum members communicate in English (and the forum is for everyone's research and benefit), I will also address your query in English as only we Tanzanians speak Kiswahili and others don't.

Interview - how did you get an interview in September when the case number cut-off for September is not even out yet? The KCC will never schedule an interview before the case number cut-off is announced and/or before you receive your 2nd NL. When did you receive your 2nd NL?

Job - what job did you mention you would work in when you filled out your form? Remember the qualifying requirements are either a high school diploma (a total of 12 or 13 years of schooling) OR work experience of 2 years under the guidelines specific by O Net. Have you started applying for jobs in the US?

Apartments - the rents in Maryland vary particularly around the DC/Silver Spring/Laurel/Chevy Chase/Arlington areas and it depends on the neighborhood you choose to live in. You can get a basic apartment from $1,000 (or less depending on your neighborhood) but you need to speak with the leasing office to determine if this is inclusive or exclusive of utilities. Other apartments (better ones) will start from $1,500 upwards. Maryland is generally a VERY expensive area just like the New York/New Jersey area. You might want to consider (depending on what job you have in mind) living in a state which is a little more cheaper and work your way up.

DV2013 is almost over and we all really have 8 weeks till we move to America (except those who choose to enter later based on their visa validity), so the research and planning has to take place from now. I have been researching and planning since May 2012 even though I already have family in America (my younger brother lives in Maryland and my aunt in Pennsylvania).

What you guys need to realise is that moving to America isn't a case of getting a visa/green card and life there will be a paradise. It is VERY hard work to settle there properly and requires extensive planning and if you have family there or have been there on previous occasions, you will have a much better understanding of the place.

Allow me to give you some insight so as to give you an idea of work/research I have put into this DV:

- I enter into Washington Dulles but will be living 3 hours away in Pennsylvania (at my aunt's place as that is where my green card is coming). My brother is getting married in September so I'll be shuttling back and forth frequently.

- Car - I picked the car I wanted to buy last year after extensive research on gas mileage, warranty, features, price etc. For instance if I'm driving 3-4 hours in any direction I need a fuel efficient car which gives me for example 20 miles per gallon in the city and 27 miles per gallon on the highway. I also considered the car size be such that when I have my parents or family over, the car would accommodate all of them comfortably. Once I get to America and have my licence from the DMV I'm going to pick the car up. Consider preparing an international license (take your TZ license with you too as it is the law) and using that to drive around first and familiarise yourself with the road and highway system. Remember the USA isn't like Tanzania where people drive hovyo hovyo or stupidly because any incident or accident will shoot up your insurance and knock points on your license.

- Driving - a car is an absolute NECESSITY in America unless you are living in a big city like New York or Washington DC where there is public transport. If you don't have a car you will be totally stranded/helpless and dependent on others. Plus having a car will allow you to take off to places on weekends or when you have time off and that is one of the great pleasures about the USA in terms of amenities.

- Once I get my green card I am moving out of Pennsylvania to either Orlando/Weston/Tampa (Florida) or Austin/Houston (Texas) because the rents there are far cheaper and for example the taxes in Texas are much lower and also Texas is the booming state in the USA at the moment in terms of job opportunities, housing, amenities etc. What you would pay for in Maryland e.g. $1,500 for a basic single bedroom apartment, you would pay $900 for in Florida (except Miami) or Texas including utilities.

- Housing - long-term wise renting becomes expensive. Case in point, if you pay $1,000 rent per month for an apartment, you would pay an average of $1,200 mortgage per month if you bought a 3 bedroom house for $200,000 in Florida or Texas or even Pennsylvania in parts. After making an initial downpayment for a house, mortgages are a great way to spread your repayments over 30 years because by the time finish repaying the bank you'll have paid perhaps $50,000 extra (as an example) back over 30 years which on a return on investment perspective is really nothing considering you will own a house. If you can afford to buy a home and pay the monthly mortgage/insurance/property tax/school tax diligently, it will build up your credit score and the USA is all about a good credit score.

- Weather - consider weather in your immigration planning. Parts of the USA have winter 6 months of the year and parts have sunshine all year around. Unless your your job or circumstances otherwise, think about where it will be suitable for you to live in terms of the weather. Remember cold weather also means added utility costs (heating, anti-freeze for your cars etc.).

- Security - you need to consider what kind of neighbourhood you will live in. If you have family and children, you don't want your wife or kids to be in a crime-riddled neighborhood with armed robbers/murderers/drug dealers. Research has shown that gangs like the Crips and Bloods recruit gang members as young as 12 years old. You also don't want to be in an area where burglaries are high because the last thing you want as a new immigrant is coming to America with everything you have ever owned and have it stolen by some hood rat burglar.

- School district - if you have kids think about the school district you want them in. School districts are "rated" in America so to speak and you want to be in a good school district to enhance the opportunities/amenities your kids will have. A good school district will have a higher school tax but vis-a-vis better opportunities for your kids.

- Taxes and prices - different states have different taxes and prices. For example when I was staying at a hotel in New York they charge tax for square meters occupied within that room or hotel. Research the taxes of each prospective state you want to settle in. The price of a water bottle in New York could be $2 whereas in Pennsylvania it'll be $1 as an example. Plan your settlement according to your budget because you want to have some money left over for savings and leisure. You don't want to be going to America and working like a donkey morning noon and night and not having anything and then thinking "maybe I had a better life in TZ."

- MONEY - I don't mean to offend anyone on this but we Tanzanians seem to have a problem when it comes to money. Either we have very little money or none at all and we have grown accustomed to "omba omba." Nobody will entertain us or give us free money in America and we have to fend for ourselves. From what I hear too many Tanzanians take visas and then enter America and disappear and become illegal immigrants or if they emigrate legally they become a public charge (remember the DV does NOT want applicants who will be a public charge!). This move to the USA will be an EXPENSIVE one as follows:

- Courier charges to send your forms to KCC (first expense!) - around $50.

- Medical check - between $150 to $500 depending on vaccinations (I paid $330).

- DV fee at the interview - $330.

- USCIS fee - $165 (you won't get your green card without this).

- Air fare - take an average air fare of $2,000 per person for economy class. A family of four would be about $8,000!

- If you don't have family or a place to stay when you enter the USA you will need lodging/hotel which can amount to $80 per night per room depending on where you are. If you're in a hotel for a month until you find a place to stay it'll be $2,500 approx. (as an example). Don't forget during this time you will be spending money for driving lessons/tests to get your license, need money as a deposit when you open a bank account there, have to pay for food (and we Tanzanians love our "chakula") and other items we commonly buy from a supermarket.

- If you buy a car outright you need money to pay for it. A cheap piece of junk will be about $4,000 (not really safe) but something reliable will be about $12,000 and new cars are over $25,000. Unless you have the funds for a large downpayment, dealers will not give you financing on a new car (because you do not have a credit history or sufficient collateral).

- Insurance - if you buy a car you'll need insurance and there are lots of great offers these days on car insurance in America but you will have to pay the initial premium then monthly payments.

- Health insurance - this is the number one major expense. Trust me you DO NOT want to get sick in the USA especially if you don't have health insurance. Something stupid we pay for in Tanzania like a broken leg will cost us maybe 50,000 TShs but in the USA it can shoot up to $1,000. Medicines are also far more expensive in the USA than Tanzania and major medication will always require a prescription from a doctor hence you need to pay the doctor first (and its not 10,000 TShs like Tanzania in some Manzese clinic but more like $50 or $100 consultation fee). Health insurance in the USA is a MUST. Your payments (depending on your monthly cover you choose can range from $100 to $1,500 per month!). If you get a job, most employers provide health insurance (medical, dental, vision) and a 401K plan so make sure you check this with each prospective employer.

These are just examples and I recommend you do your own reading and research on this as I have but don't think that you can waltz into the USA and it will be an easy ride. The first 6 months are the hardest and will test you severely so make sure you have enough savings before you move. $30,000 is a safe bet to get you started.

AOQ/AOM - give me a shout and I'll be more than happy to share my thoughts with you.

Good luck to all Tanzanians for DV2013 and DV2014.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR DOCUMENTS READY WELL IN ADVANCE AHEAD OF YOUR INTERVIEW!!!

2nd NL - 14th June 2013

hahahahahahahahaha
momo1980
is okay for some part but on fare the one you mention is too high,he can use Qatar airlines,he will need to pay
Depart DAR Es Salaam (DAR)to Washington D.C. (IAD)
Sat, 28 Sept 2013
Total : 827.20 USD Total price for ONE passengers
Cha msingi ni kupata kwanza visa,then he will arrange himself when he is on the way,we all need this experience,since US is not our home and wee need to set many things before we settle's overthere

hahahahahahahahaha
momo1980
is okay for some part but on fare the one you mention is too high,he can use Qatar airlines,he will need to pay
Depart DAR Es Salaam (DAR)to Washington D.C. (IAD)
Sat, 28 Sept 2013
Total : 827.20 USD Total price for ONE passengers
Cha msingi ni kupata kwanza visa,then he will arrange himself when he is on the way,we all need this experience,since US is not our home and wee need to set many things before we settle's overthere

That's why I called it an average fare. And by the way most airlines were hovering between $1,500 and $2,000 the last 10 days although I should have mentioned most of these are return fares to TZ. Emirates was sailing at $1,300 last week for economy to DC.

Nonetheless the point I was emphasising is that the immigration process is a pricy one regardless of whatever fares are out there.

Okay for some part? What bits weren't okay to you?

2nd NL - 14th June 2013

That's why I called it an average fare. And by the way most airlines were hovering between $1,500 and $2,000 the last 10 days although I should have mentioned most of these are return fares to TZ. Emirates was sailing at $1,300 last week for economy to DC.

Nonetheless the point I was emphasising is that the immigration process is a pricy one regardless of whatever fares are out there.

Okay for some part? What bits weren't okay to you?

2nd NL - 14th June 2013

he can even buy for 2014
One Way Trip
DepartDar Es Salaam (DAR)to Washington D.C. (IAD)
Sat, 10 May 2014
Total : 827.20 USD

for me worry not
i am okay even now,and if i will get the chance,i will not even sell my house at Moro and my farms

Last edited by a moderator: