• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Thanks for the fast reply mate...I just wrote another post in more detail explaining my frustrations further which I'm sure you'll see haha. Yeah, I definitely don't want to miss out on Canada either but kind of want to apply for that one as late as possible in case I do have to stick around in NZ for an interview for a DV....hmmm.......

Thanks for the fast reply mate...I just wrote another post in more detail explaining my frustrations further which I'm sure you'll see haha. Yeah, I definitely don't want to miss out on Canada either but kind of want to apply for that one as late as possible in case I do have to stick around in NZ for an interview for a DV....hmmm.......
Depending on your timing, I would not necessarily consider both options as mutually exclusive as far as overall timing and specific actions are concerned, specifically as one or the other may end up not being successful in the end. Just my two cents worth... Best of luck! PS: you may want to check out the necessary steps for being able to work as a High School teacher in the US and/or Canada, this is separate from the Visa question, of course.

Hey man I 'm a NZer too and have also been selected for the DV2015 but with a high case number also OC22XX....I am also in the process of trying to suss my Canadian Visa but am holding off for as long as poss due to this DV lottery win...Am I right to correctly think my bubble has been burst as I see that the Oceania case no's for 2014 are not even going to go current by the looks....what do you think?

How old are you? If you are a kiwi aged <=35 go and get a Canadian working holiday visa. It's easy.

Last edited:

Just do the DV from Canada. There's no reason to hang around in NZ to do it.

Hey man I 'm a NZer too and have also been selected for the DV2015 but with a high case number also OC22XX....I am also in the process of trying to suss my Canadian Visa but am holding off for as long as poss due to this DV lottery win...Am I right to correctly think my bubble has been burst as I see that the Oceania case no's for 2014 are not even going to go current by the looks....what do you think?
Britsimon knows more than me, but from dv2014 it sounds like Oceania has been a disaster I'm not sure if they even processed half for Oceania. Never give up hope but if 2015 plays out much the same as 2014 then we are in trouble, KCC would have to either process more or allocate more visas for our region, so it would take something to change. I'm not giving up hope I just going to have Canada ready to go, but definitely apply for DV2016, all this speculation makes it so much worse haha I need blocked!!!!

I don't think waiting for DV numbers is a good immigration strategy. You saw what happened this year. Don't put your life on hold, go to Canada guys and have fun!

If you win you can get the DV from Montreal and head south to the USA. The Canadian work visa for young Oz/NZ people is so so easy that Whistler and Banff are Australia's 7th and 8th states.

I don't think waiting for DV numbers is a good immigration strategy. You saw what happened this year. Don't put your life on hold, go to Canada guys and have fun!

If you win you can get the DV from Montreal and head south to the USA. The Canadian work visa for young Oz/NZ people is so so easy that Whistler and Banff are Australia's 7th and 8th states.
Strange, many young Europeans seeking to go to Australia and NZ after High School, you guys must see them around on a daily basis, as they are living their dream down under...

Strange, many young Europeans seeking to go to Australia and NZ after High School, you guys must see them around on a daily basis, as they are living their dream down under...

No denying Australia can be a great place to visit if you're young, fit and like beaches, parties and warm weather.

Yeh my workplace is full of immigrants of all different stripes. It's like the UN around here.

America is huge and they speak English so it's a great place to be an Australian.

It baffles me why a person from NZ or Australia would want to immigrate to Canada, while NZ and Australia beat Canada in almost every measure you would care for!

It baffles me why a person from NZ or Australia would want to immigrate to Canada, while NZ and Australia beat Canada in almost every measure you would care for!

NAFTA and the fact that driving from NZ and Aus into the USA is much, much harder than driving from Canada....

PLus (I'm sure someone is about to point out) Canada is a lovely place to live.... eh?

NAFTA and the fact that driving from NZ and Aus into the USA is much, much harder than driving from Canada....

PLus (I'm sure someone is about to point out) Canada is a lovely place to live.... eh?
For me its just the cultural experience, i have lived in NZ and Australia, while its great its the other side of the world. I have a great job and understand that if I do make it to the US that i will most likely have to take a pay cut, but any international experience that you can bring back to Australia or New Zealand is worth its weight in gold. I also love baseball!!

Why would someone from Europe want to live in America? Seriously, it annoys me that our region always gets crap for wanting to be in America. I am sure the reasons most of us want to move there are exactly the same as people from other regions have for moving to the states.

Canada is a great country.. in summer. In winter.. well it sucks. There's nothing good about Canada in winter. Except skiing I guess but you might as well head south to Denver or Salt Lake.

btw When you meet people who tell you Vancouver is warm" It's warm for Canada. Compared to the rest of the world it has constant freezing cold rain and is grey and depressing.

Canada is a great country.. in summer. In winter.. well it sucks. There's nothing good about Canada in winter. Except skiing I guess but you might as well head south to Denver or Salt Lake.

btw When you meet people who tell you Vancouver is warm" It's warm for Canada. Compared to the rest of the world it has constant freezing cold rain and is grey and depressing.

I sensed some slight simon sarcasm in that post that you responded to ;)

Why would someone from Europe want to live in America? Seriously, it annoys me that our region always gets crap for wanting to be in America. I am sure the reasons most of us want to move there are exactly the same as people from other regions have for moving to the states.

I really rooted (still root) for you to make it to America and be the girl with the accent :) I specifically was talking about Canada. I can see that the US may have a certain charm for some, and other attractions for others being a center of excellence in science, technology, art, etc. and being the most prosperous economy the world has ever seen. But I'm curious as to why Canada would be perceived as advantageous over NZ or mostly Australia. And girl, I'm saying good things about Australia here! :)

And it just baffles me as much when seeing people from Western Europe, well those that go way out of their way, to immigrate to the US, except for Britain where the weather is very sucky. :)

But quite honestly, no! The reason for people from Asutralia definitely cannot be exactly the same as people from other regions. Others are mostly running away from war, authoritarian regimes, underdevelopment, failing economies, unsafe cities, etc. Australia is one of the best places in the world to live in, well after the US in my opinion :)

NAFTA is only good if you are a *citizen* of Canada. It is not any help if you are a PR. Unless someone would decide to wait it out, get the Canadian citizenship, and take advantage of the TN visa, in which case I would question whether it's worth the trouble coming from such nice places as NZ or Australia.

I have a brother living in Canada (Vancouver Island). His effective personal tax rate (he & his wife own a business) is 15%. They get paid to have kids (monthly payment of about $400 I think - not means tested). Try getting those sorts of things in New Zealand.

I have a brother living in Canada (Vancouver Island). His effective personal tax rate (he & his wife own a business) is 15%. They get paid to have kids (monthly payment of about $400 I think - not means tested). Try getting those sorts of things in New Zealand.

See! If you are after such "amenities" then Canada may be good for you, but then the US is probably not what you would be after. In the US there's a stigma to being dependent or recipient of government (tax-payer) hand-outs.

Then again, to each their own. Sometimes a person just needs a change in life, and in my opinion immigration is one of the most noble things a human-being can do.