• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

"...2013 will be the final year of the lottery..."

OnTheGo

Registered Users (C)
"So where will the lottery go from here?

Assuming the House of Representatives passes comprehensive immigration reform this fall or in early 2014 (a very big assumption), 2013 will be the final year of the lottery and terminate one of the many legislative legacies of Edward Kennedy."

Ref: http://www.examiner.com/article/gre...ration-begins-but-will-2013-be-the-final-year

Not sure their assessment would be set in stone. In fact, I doubt the DV Lottery will stop, unlike the raising of the debt ceiling ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the author know that 2014 is an election year for the House? Republican reps aren't going to support any comprehensive immigration law that includes 'amnesty' for undocumented immigrants, for fear of being clearly outflanked on the right by a Tea Party candidate. Current tea party candidates aren't going to vote for it in 2013, or 2023, or ever. Since Democrats aren't going to pass it without taking care of the 11 million undocs, we'll have a stalemate again in 2014.

As for 2013, they can't even agree to take care of US citizens and keep the gov't running, so the chance to pass an immigration bill is remote.

"But supporters of the lottery should not overestimate the ability of the House to pass much-needed immigration reform. Ironically, the lottery could be saved by the very same forces that argue the most for its demise."

I pretty much agree with that. They have people there who can more less shut down the government over free contraception so I think DV is safe for now :)

House of Representatives elections are in 2014 and people will remember this years government shutdown for sure :D

I guess that the author of the article is referring to DV2015 when he mentioned 2013. For as long as one of the sides has the best interest not to legalize 11 + millions that would end up voting against them, the new immigration law seems to have almost no chances before the next elections.

Also, in the spring when the discussions on the new immigration law were more "hot", they said that DV 2013 and DV 2014 would be allowed to continue. I would suppose that the same would apply to any DV lottery that made any selections.