• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

Hi Superkruz

Good to see you; I read with relish every post I think that all the Aussies have made over the past year or so, your's included :)

How are things going now? Settled in well?

Q

Hey kids, October bulletin just released and they're up to 400 for Oceania in November. That means I just miss out but surely will be up in December. Anyone got a number below 400?

Hey kids, October bulletin just released and they're up to 400 for Oceania in November. That means I just miss out but surely will be up in December. Anyone got a number below 400?

Sorry to hear you just missed out. Must be frustrating. But at least you know December is your month.

I'm in the low 700's. Not sure when my case number comes up as it's hard to gauge the progression of numbers. There's no pattern. In the past, it's gone up by 150, 200 or more by month, then for a few months it'll slow down and rise by less than 100. I'm guessing I'll be up February, maybe March? Oh well, it is what it is - a waiting game :)

Me! I'm not an Aussie, but a New Zealander with a low CN and my interview is scheduled for October !

I received my 2NL by e-mail mid-August - which was just an e-mail from the status-check website telling me log-in
"You have received this email notification to inform you that you have updates available at http: //www.dvlottery.state.gov/ESC. Please log in using your confirmation number from your original application to complete further processing."

A few weeks later (in late August) I received a letter from the Consult with an invitation letter (for the interview of course), blank medical forms, police check forms and NZ-specific instructions for the interview. As per the instructions I was requested to submit all my documentation to them prior to the interview WITH bank statements and a CV - so obviously this is quite different to the Australian consult process.

I have also completed my medical which was painless (aside from the blood test!) - I was able to find proof of all my childhood immunization records plus a few travel vaccination records and I was 100% up-to-date! The medical cost me around $120NZD and the X-RAY was about $80NZD. I think the medical took around an hour or so.

Anyway, I will report back after my interview - so fingers and toes crossed! Any questions just fire away!

Last edited by a moderator:

hi all :)

I joined this forum just now and although it is a bit late, thought I would post :) congrats to all the fellow Aussies and Kiwis on here that were selected. I got very lucky as this was my first attempt. and I am so very excited!

I was successful in the draw this year and I have a number in the 300's.
so my interview will be in October or November right? can the interview dates be changed by any chance? I just got back on Friday from my 6 week US vacation (which certainly motivated me more to move there) and need some time to get money together etc lol :)

Congratulations ~ how wonderful and exciting!

I don't have an answer for you re changing your interview date (although I believe I have read where you can somewhere here on the forum).

I just wanted to wish you well and will be keeping on eye on your progress, please keep us informed!

Q

Congratulations ~ how wonderful and exciting!

I don't have an answer for you re changing your interview date (although I believe I have read where you can somewhere here on the forum).

I just wanted to wish you well and will be keeping on eye on your progress, please keep us informed!

Q

thanks so much :) I couldn't believe I got picked! complete fluke I reckon but I took it as a sign. I only decided to do it after my first US vacation last year. and it paid off.

will for sure keep updating. I actually have to call them tonight as there was a slight issue with the US address part of the application form. I thought it could be left blank but got an e-mail saying I had to provide one.

sorry everyone I also have a quick question -

I realise everyone needs to get police records done even if you have never been arrested for anything but can I also confirm that it also says that one is required for anyone who has lived in another country for more than 12 months since turning 16.
so I lived in London for 18 months when I was 20 - so I will need to obtain police records from the UK?

sorry everyone I also have a quick question -

I realise everyone needs to get police records done even if you have never been arrested for anything but can I also confirm that it also says that one is required for anyone who has lived in another country for more than 12 months since turning 16.
so I lived in London for 18 months when I was 20 - so I will need to obtain police records from the UK?

Yes you need it

hi all :)

I joined this forum just now and although it is a bit late, thought I would post :) congrats to all the fellow Aussies and Kiwis on here that were selected. I got very lucky as this was my first attempt. and I am so very excited!

I was successful in the draw this year and I have a number in the 300's.
so my interview will be in October or November right? can the interview dates be changed by any chance? I just got back on Friday from my 6 week US vacation (which certainly motivated me more to move there) and need some time to get money together etc lol :)

Congrats to you too, heisenberg! How very lucky and exciting for you. First time! Wow.

Yes, your interview should be in November as the cut-off is 400, So everyone under 400 is ready to go.

As far as changing your interview date, I might have to do the same and have been researching that on this forum. From what I've read, you have to wait until you get an interview date assigned to you at the Consulate first. Then you can change it online, I believe. This is for Montreal as I am living in Canada now. I still have to confirm that is the case.

Me! I'm not an Aussie, but a New Zealander with a low CN and my interview is scheduled for October !

Oooh, how exciting! Lots of luck! :D

I received my 2NL by e-mail mid-August - which was just an e-mail from the status-check website telling me log-in
"You have received this email notification to inform you that you have updates available at http: //www.dvlottery.state.gov/ESC. Please log in using your confirmation number from your original application to complete further processing."

A few weeks later (in late August) I received a letter from the Consult with an invitation letter (for the interview of course), blank medical forms, police check forms and NZ-specific instructions for the interview. As per the instructions I was requested to submit all my documentation to them prior to the interview WITH bank statements and a CV - so obviously this is quite different to the Australian consult process.

So was that by snail-mail? An actual letter in the mail? Or email? Sorry for the dumb question but I thought it was supposed to be all online now, nothing by snail-mail. :confused: :)

Interesting about the bank statements. Where is the interview for NZ selectees? Auckland? Past Sydney interviewees all seemed to say no financials were asked for. But then it might have changed for this year, perhaps everyone will be asked for them? I'm an Aussie but my interview will be in Montreal. I'm bringing bank statements, house appraisal, etc. anyway. Just in case. Would rather have everything at the interview so as to avoid any delays if they do ask for something extra.

Anyway, I will report back after my interview - so fingers and toes crossed! Any questions just fire away!

Yes, please do! And all the best!

Oooh, how exciting! Lots of luck! :D

So was that by snail-mail? An actual letter in the mail? Or email? Sorry for the dumb question but I thought it was supposed to be all online now, nothing by snail-mail. :confused: :)

Interesting about the bank statements. Where is the interview for NZ selectees? Auckland? Past Sydney interviewees all seemed to say no financials were asked for. But then it might have changed for this year, perhaps everyone will be asked for them? I'm an Aussie but my interview will be in Montreal. I'm bringing bank statements, house appraisal, etc. anyway. Just in case. Would rather have everything at the interview so as to avoid any delays if they do ask for something extra.

Yes, please do! And all the best!

Yes - actual snail-mail and the interview is in Auckland! Once the case is transferred to the interview country I think it is up to the consular how the wish to contact the winners (if at all!). I know that they requested the bank statements last year in NZ so it is probably something that you don't need to worry about if they haven't requested it in previous years in your 'interview country'.

Congrats to you too, heisenberg! How very lucky and exciting for you. First time! Wow.

Yes, your interview should be in November as the cut-off is 400, So everyone under 400 is ready to go.

As far as changing your interview date, I might have to do the same and have been researching that on this forum. From what I've read, you have to wait until you get an interview date assigned to you at the Consulate first. Then you can change it online, I believe. This is for Montreal as I am living in Canada now. I still have to confirm that is the case.

I really doubt my interview will be November as on the original application I failed to provide a US address. In the last week I have e-mailed them with the address and can't even seem to get the automated e-mail confirmation. Looks like by the time they add the address to my application it will be too late to get an interview this year. I am not really in a major rush to get my interview but this year would have been nice.

Hey Fellow Aussies & Kiwis!!

I too am a winner this year! Yay!

My number is in the 800's so thinking maybe interview March next year? Although i would love it to be sooner of course :)

When i checked my log-in on the 2nd May i nearly fell off my chair in disbelief! Amazing and such an incredible opportunity. I am planning on moving to New York with my hubby, we have been there before and fell madly in love with the place.

Its great reading all your feedback, hoping we can help each other out hears and become US buddies over there too!

I'm hoping so very much that some of us can join you if they do another draw on October 1. It's so hard supporting everyone some days when my heart is desperate to be in the same boat as you all :)

Please keep us up to date as you start the process of interviews etc.

All the best!

Q

Amazing, are u DV2012 or 2013?

I have also completed my medical which was painless (aside from the blood test!) - I was able to find proof of all my childhood immunization records plus a few travel vaccination records and I was 100% up-to-date! The medical cost me around $120NZD and the X-RAY was about $80NZD. I think the medical took around an hour or so.

Anyway as yu can see my signature, am from Africa and I think the interview process is totally different here from yua consul.
Am a Dv 2013 and I received my 2NL on 18th August, that is last month and as per the instructions I was only requested to follow this link dvselectees.state.gov for more details concerning interview preparations.
Av not yet booked for the medicals. Am planning to book on the first week of next month coz my interview will be on the beginning of the 3rd week of the same month.

Dv 2013

Hi everyone. Congrats to you all!! I'm also an OC 2013 selectee in Australia. I've decided I want to live and work in NYC. Yippee - I have Frank Sinatra and Empire State of Mind on my ipod already. My CN is very low 400s - so I guess I'll get an interview in Sydney in December. Super-exciting! But wow, the wait for the intervew notification is the hardest part! In some ways you kind of have to put your life on hold, knowing there will be a very big move ahead and you'll get six months in which to make it happen, but you don't really know when that six months will start. I log in to the Entrant Status Check every day to see if my interview notification has come through although I know, based on allowing 6 weeks before the interview, that the earliest I will get the notification is probably mid-October. Ironically I may have to cut short a holiday in the US (that I booked over a year ago) to get back in time for my interview. I have all my docs in order except for my police checks and I am working through the vaccinations with my doctor. For proof of education, I am assuming I will need to provide my academic transcript as well as the testamur. Do they keep the originals? Should I take the original and a high-quality copy? Should I get the copy verified by my solicitor as a true copy? Who knows! For proof of vaccinations I am assuming a letter from my GP that addresses all of the different vaccinations on the list will be sufficient. Some of them, my doctor tells me, like Rotavirus (sounds spooky), are not appropriate for adults, so I guess he'll just write that. The Australian police check through NSW police seems like a straightforward process (and a bargain at $175). But I also lived in NZ for a few years and the NZ police check is done through the Auckland US Embassy because the NZ police apparently don't deal directly with the public for police checks. I don't really know whether I am supposed to approach the Auckland US Embassy now to ask them to arrange the check or whether there is a procedure that requires my request at a particular time. I'm hoping the interview notification letter may tell me what to do about that. Is anyone else with an interview in Australia getting a NZ police check?
Congrats again everyone. Good luck with your interviews.

Hi everyone. Congrats to you all!! I'm also an OC 2013 selectee in Australia. I've decided I want to live and work in NYC. Yippee - I have Frank Sinatra and Empire State of Mind on my ipod already. My CN is very low 400s - so I guess I'll get an interview in Sydney in December. Super-exciting! But wow, the wait for the intervew notification is the hardest part! In some ways you kind of have to put your life on hold, knowing there will be a very big move ahead and you'll get six months in which to make it happen, but you don't really know when that six months will start. I log in to the Entrant Status Check every day to see if my interview notification has come through although I know, based on allowing 6 weeks before the interview, that the earliest I will get the notification is probably mid-October. Ironically I may have to cut short a holiday in the US (that I booked over a year ago) to get back in time for my interview. I have all my docs in order except for my police checks and I am working through the vaccinations with my doctor. For proof of education, I am assuming I will need to provide my academic transcript as well as the testamur. Do they keep the originals? Should I take the original and a high-quality copy? Should I get the copy verified by my solicitor as a true copy? Who knows! For proof of vaccinations I am assuming a letter from my GP that addresses all of the different vaccinations on the list will be sufficient. Some of them, my doctor tells me, like Rotavirus (sounds spooky), are not appropriate for adults, so I guess he'll just write that. The Australian police check through NSW police seems like a straightforward process (and a bargain at $175). But I also lived in NZ for a few years and the NZ police check is done through the Auckland US Embassy because the NZ police apparently don't deal directly with the public for police checks. I don't really know whether I am supposed to approach the Auckland US Embassy now to ask them to arrange the check or whether there is a procedure that requires my request at a particular time. I'm hoping the interview notification letter may tell me what to do about that. Is anyone else with an interview in Australia getting a NZ police check?
Congrats again everyone. Good luck with your interviews.

Hi! I won the lottery and moved to NY in February this year. Just want to give you some advice that I wish I had gotten before moving. Living in manhattan new york is VERY expensive- rent for a one bedroom apartment is easily over $3000 per month. I have a university degree and experience and found it quite hard to find a job. You will need to come with substantial savings if you want to explore and be able to go out to dinners and meet people- along with applying for jobs and finding somewhere to live. I found it really hard to rent an apartment. Without any US credit history you sometimes have to pay a 6 month deposit to secure an apartment which can end up costing $$$$$$$$. If you are prepared for all of this then it is a great time!! I am settled now and loving it but the first 4 months were a BIG struggle.

In regards to the vaccinations- you will need to go to a special doctor that is on the consulate list and get a complete medical- you will need to show that particular doctor proof of all of your injections. If there are any missing the doctor can easily give them to you. He will then give you a chest XRAY and seal the medical results which you will then take to the consulate. Make sure you bring a photocopy of EVERYTHING, they don't keep the originals but will want to keep the photocopies.

Hope this helps you, although you may be in a completely different situation and already have everything under control, unlike myself!!

Good Luck!

Just wanted to counter that I find NYC cheaper than Australia in general. I am subletting a room so don't have to worry about credit history or the like, and it entirely depends on your field with how easy it is to find work. I work in IT, and have had a lot of offers already (moved there in August).

The thing about NYC, is you have to be smart. If you move there for the first time settle for a place in Brooklyn or Queens, it's worth it anyway as there is a lot more to NYC than just Manhattan.

In general, Americans pay approximately 25% of their income in rent or mortgage. But in NYC, that number rises to around 50%. There are many things about living in the NYC area that make it worthwhile - most of the time you will not need a car, there are many free things to experience in the arts, and Central Park in Manhattan and Prospect Park in Brooklyn are a fabulous way to escape from the thrum of the city.

Both katestar00 and josh000 are right. The US can be much cheaper than Australia in many ways. For example, on the Gold Coast, a 24-pack of Diet Coke, on sale, is $12-13. At my local Walmart, it's $5.98.

Do your homework before you land in the US. There are wonderful places to live in the US - all with pros and cons.