2011 January N-400 tracker

Local office Indianapolis, IN
NOA-Jan 28, 2011
FP - Feb 24, 2011
Interview - Apr 4th, 2011
Oath Letter - ???

Thanks ... YES I called the 800 Number and Bugged the living hell out of them. in order for the USCIS representative to transfer you to a higher officer with more info about your case, just try to tell them that your receipt number is missing a digit/number and the online case status does not give you any info.... and since they don't have access to sensitive info, they would have to escalate your call to an officer ... then when that officer answers the call, ask about where your case is ...he/she should be able to tell you what the problem is, if any...... play smart with them if u wanna get somewhere ... :eek:)

USCIS does not always change the status online ... only the first 3 steps, from the time your application was accepted until your case gets transferred to a local office for an interview ..... and then it gets stuck ... does not move ...

offices are different, some of them offer the same day oath ceremony. I know Seattle does give applicants that option ...

There is only one way to check if your local field office offer a same day oath ceremony ... make an info-pass appointment, and go ask an officer in person about it.

Good Luck

Ok, so my husband called today 1-800 number since it is exactly 1 month after FP appointment. He mentioned about 2 different numbers showing different information, but unfortunately representative did not forward him to anybody "higher". She just told my husband the same information we can see online when checking our case progress, so it was nothing new. She also gave my husband some very long refferal number and she said that she'll send a note or something to our local USCIS office to let them know that my husband still didn't get an IL. Soooooo... we know nothing at this point :] Representative said that if there is no IL within 30 days then my husband has to call again.
I'm almost sorry that we didn't do the trick with saying that one digit of the receipt number is missing, but we kind of didn't want to lie. Oh well, it looks like we'll have to wait a long, long time :/

Ok, so my husband called today 1-800 number since it is exactly 1 month after FP appointment. He mentioned about 2 different numbers showing different information, but unfortunately representative did not forward him to anybody "higher". She just told my husband the same information we can see online when checking our case progress, so it was nothing new. She also gave my husband some very long referral number and she said that she'll send a note or something to our local USCIS office to let them know that my husband still didn't get an IL. Soooooo... we know nothing at this point :] Representative said that if there is no IL within 30 days then my husband has to call again.
I'm almost sorry that we didn't do the trick with saying that one digit of the receipt number is missing, but we kind of didn't want to lie. Oh well, it looks like we'll have to wait a long, long time :/

I have personally called USCIS with the same 2 receipt number issue and it never failed....But what the representative did was good too ... she sent out a " Service Request" to find out what's happening with your case, you will receive a letter in the mail explaining why the hold up of your application. Each and every time an applicant does not hear anything from USCIS, that applicant needs to call and find out what the problem is .....

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
US Citizens !!

We completed our oath ceremony yesterday. We are now US Citizens !! :D

Ceremony for the 69 applicants from 33 countries (!) was in Philly. Took about 2 hours.

Good luck to all others and wish you also complete the process soon.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

We completed our oath ceremony yesterday. We are now US Citizens !! :D

Ceremony for the 69 applicants from 33 countries (!) was in Philly. Took about 2 hours.

Good luck to all others and wish you also complete the process soon.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

Congratulations on your citizenship ..... But You still have another step of updating the Social Security Administration of your new status .... Don't forget ..

Did you have to do the Oath ceremony with people that are changing their names ??

Thanks.. I am planning to update my SSN status after getting the passport. Re: Name change, I don't know for sure since nothing was mentioned in the ceremony and the oath administrator did not mention she was a judge.

jan. 10, 2011 n-400 mailed to phoenix, az
jan. 11, 2011 n-400 received
jan. 14, 2011 noa mailed from lee's summit, mo
jan. 18, 2011 noa received
feb. 07, 2011 fp notice mailed
feb. 11, 2011 fp notice received
mar. 03, 2011 fp done
mar. 07, 2011 yellow sheet asking to bring driver's license to interview
mar. 07, 2011 case transferred to local office
mar. 07, 2011 statuts changed to "testing and interview"
april 11, 2011 interview done - A decision cannot yet be made.

I am really confused! I had my interview yesterday. Everything went well. The IO officer was very nice to me. I did not have any kind of problems on my application (traffic tickets, DUI, etc.) and I passed the English/US History test but at the end of the interview he gave me the N-652 Form with the first box checked that says:

"You passed the tests of English and US history and government."

And after a few more boxes, there are 2 letters:

A) ________ Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval.

B) ________ A decision cannot yet be made about your application.

On my form, he checked letter B.

Unfortunately I did not notice it at the time so I did not ask the IO why my application hadn't been approved. He did tell me that he would "recommend my application for approval".

Is there anybody else here in this situation? Does anybody have any idea of any reason for this to happen? Is there anything that I can do to figure out what is going on with my application? Please advise!

Thank you!

jan. 10, 2011 n-400 mailed to phoenix, az
jan. 11, 2011 n-400 received
jan. 14, 2011 noa mailed from lee's summit, mo
jan. 18, 2011 noa received
feb. 07, 2011 fp notice mailed
feb. 11, 2011 fp notice received
mar. 03, 2011 fp done
mar. 07, 2011 yellow sheet asking to bring driver's license to interview
mar. 07, 2011 case transferred to local office
mar. 07, 2011 statuts changed to "testing and interview"
april 11, 2011 interview done - A decision cannot yet be made.

I am really confused! I had my interview yesterday. Everything went well. The IO officer was very nice to me. I did not have any kind of problems on my application (traffic tickets, DUI, etc.) and I passed the English/US History test but at the end of the interview he gave me the N-652 Form with the first box checked that says:

"You passed the tests of English and US history and government."

And after a few more boxes, there are 2 letters:

A) ________ Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval.

B) ________ A decision cannot yet be made about your application.

On my form, he checked letter B.

Unfortunately I did not notice it at the time so I did not ask the IO why my application hadn't been approved. He did tell me that he would "recommend my application for approval".

Is there anybody else here in this situation? Does anybody have any idea of any reason for this to happen? Is there anything that I can do to figure out what is going on with my application? Please advise!

Thank you!

USCIS usually does that if you have problems with the law. but in your case, the only thing I could think of is USCIS probably hasn't gotten one of the background check they usually conduct on applicants, and not just through the FBI .

The following background checks INS does on Naturalization applicants-:

[1] IBIS: - this check is against IBIS (maintained by USCPC - Customs and Border Patrol) using applicant's full name and date of birth (without place or country of birth). This check is done by USCIS internally through a connection to IBIS. A no hit is termed "IBIS OK" in USCIS' jargon. An "IBIS DNR" (Does Not Relate) is when a match exists but does not relate to the applicant, which is a no hit as well. IBIS is exempt from FOIA requests, that is, a person cannot use FOIA to find out if his/her name is in IBIS.

[2] FBI Fingerprint (FD258) Identification against NCIC database . The results of this check are normally returned within 24 hours for person with no criminal records or outstanding warrants. No hit is termed "NO IDENT" in FBI jargon. An FOIA request (with FD258/fingerprints) would reveal if a record exists or not.

[3] FBI Name Check against Central Records System (CRS) - This check basically searches to see if the applicant has ever been a subject/target of any FBI investigation. There is no documented validity period for this check. This check can take anywhere from 1 day to 4 years. No hit is termed "NO RECORD" in FBI jargon. A FOIA request would reveal if a record exists or not. FBI may not disclose full details but will acknowledge if a record exists. Also, presence of a record does not mean that it is something negative.

So, either way, don't sweat it, if there is no ground for USCIS to deny your case, then you should be getting an oath letter in the mail in the next week or 2. If not, then make and info-pass appointment and go talk to an officer in person at the local field office ..

Good Luck

Thank you Mark. I will wait for a few weeks and if nothing happens, I will try the info-pass!

Do you know if there is a phone number that we can call to ask about our fingerprinting status?

Mark,

after posting the previous reply, I found this information online:

Fingerprint Status Check
Fingerprints taken at USCIS goes to the FBI for back ground checks. The FBI is very efficient and processes and sends it to USCIS within 3-4 weeks. Once your fingerprints are taken, you can check with the FBI whether your back ground has been checked and your fingerprint report has been sent back to USCIS or not. The FBI does not tell whether the fingerprints were rejected or whether they found anything negative about you.

The FBI can be reached either at 304-625-5590 or at 304-625-2406. They are located in West Virginia and it is the same number for the entire US. If the representative comes to the phone, he/can tell you about your case immediately or no one picks the phone, you may leave the message giving your spelled out name, contact phone number and Alien Number. They are usually prompt in returning phone calls.

If FBI can't track your details, you may need to contact the USCIS office where you were fingerprinted to find out the status.

The original website for this info is http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/fingerprints.html

Tomorrow I will try to call these numbers.

Mark,

after posting the previous reply, I found this information online:

Fingerprint Status Check
Fingerprints taken at USCIS goes to the FBI for back ground checks. The FBI is very efficient and processes and sends it to USCIS within 3-4 weeks. Once your fingerprints are taken, you can check with the FBI whether your back ground has been checked and your fingerprint report has been sent back to USCIS or not. The FBI does not tell whether the fingerprints were rejected or whether they found anything negative about you.

The FBI can be reached either at 304-625-5590 or at 304-625-2406. They are located in West Virginia and it is the same number for the entire US. If the representative comes to the phone, he/can tell you about your case immediately or no one picks the phone, you may leave the message giving your spelled out name, contact phone number and Alien Number. They are usually prompt in returning phone calls.

If FBI can't track your details, you may need to contact the USCIS office where you were fingerprinted to find out the status.

The original website for this info is http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/fingerprints.html

Tomorrow I will try to call these numbers.

I have already posted the FBI number to call and check your status in one of the treads.

I have done it myself on March 11th the day I did my fingerprints. called FBI .

The thing is about that article you read, its information is way outdated, FBI checks do not take 2 to 3 weeks anymore, it's all done by computers now. When I called the FBI and asked about the status of my biometrics with USCIS , all they did was ask for my Alien number, and told me that a report went right back to USCIS within 30 seconds ..... How fast is that ...??

so I don't think FBI is the issue here, unless they got a hit using your name, then things might get complicated with further investigations ...

Beside, since you had your interview already, it means that USCIS had gotten a report back from the FBI.

Unless of course USCIS have a backlog and wanted to get rid of some of the cases they might have to get things moving for applicants waiting their turn ..... which happened back in 2009 ..

Plus. Even applicants that had their case recommended for approval had to leave without an oath letter, but they received good news later in the mail .....

Just relax ... you'll get it

Just so you know ...
Once you get a letter from USCIS ... if it was light with 1, 2 or 3 papers = Good news
If it was heaving stuffed with papers = Bad News

Good Luck :eek:)

Thank you again Mark for all this info. I really appreciate it.
I will update my status as soon as my case moves again, either way :)

So I called the FBI today and they told me that my fingerprint report was sent back to USCIS on the same day that I had my fingerprints taken.

But now I remember something else that the IO told me during my interview. He looked at my files and said: "I see that you did not have the full 5 years yet. This will be in April". So, maybe this could be the reason why my application was not "approved" on the day of the interview. I am a little bit confused though. I've been a resident since March 20, 2006 and it seems to me I reached the 5-year mark on March 20, 2011. My interview was on April 11, 2011.

So I called the FBI today and they told me that my fingerprint report was sent back to USCIS on the same day that I had my fingerprints taken.

But now I remember something else that the IO told me during my interview. He looked at my files and said: "I see that you did not have the full 5 years yet. This will be in April". So, maybe this could be the reason why my application was not "approved" on the day of the interview. I am a little bit confused though. I've been a resident since March 20, 2006 and it seems to me I reached the 5-year mark on March 20, 2011. My interview was on April 11, 2011.

I don't see why would it be an issue, the law even allows you to send your application 90 days before you meet the "continuous Residence" requirement. What 5 years are they talking about?

Just to clarify, you need to count the 5 years from the day you were granted your LBR ( I-551) Green card, not the day you were admitted to the US. Please check your green card and tell me what that date is....

if you have no problem with the law, and you have been a resident since March 2006. then USCIS has NO ground to deny you application .. Rest Assured ..

I don't see why would it be an issue, the law even allows you to send you application in 90 days before you meet the "continuous Residence" requirement. What 5 years are they talking about?

Just to clarify, you need to count the 5 years from the day you were granted your LBR ( I-551) Green card, not the day you were admitted to the US. Please check your green card and tell me what that date is....

if you have no problem with the law, and you have been a resident since March 2006. then USCIS has NO ground to deny you application .. Rest Assured ..

I've had my green card since March 2006 and yes, I never had any problems with the law, nor any (serious) traffic violation other than parking at a parking space for more than two hours for what I got a "parking ticket".

I've had my green card since March 2006 and yes, I never had any problems with the law, nor any (serious) traffic violation other than parking at a parking space for more than two hours for what I got a "parking ticket".

Then you are in the clear .....You should have challenged the officer's *** about the 5 year comment....But It's OK, you'll find out soon enough ..

Whoo-hoo, my husband's case was transferred to the local office!!!! :D I'm checking online status every day and they changed it today!!! :D I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, but yesterday was a 5-year anniversary since my hubby got his green card. So I guess now we have to wait for the letter in the mail :D

marklivinglarge, did you get your IL yet?

marvadur, good luck with your case!

Whoo-hoo, my husband's case was transferred to the local office!!!! :D I'm checking online status every day and they changed it today!!! :D I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, but yesterday was a 5-year anniversary since my hubby got his green card. So I guess now we have to wait for the letter in the mail :D

Congratulations!
What is the local/district office?

Thank you 2much! Good luck to your husband and everybody else in this forum!