• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2011 DV Lottery Winners from Australia Report Here!

Source: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/fees.html
We are currently experiencing trouble with our credit card facilities and so credit card transations will not be possible until further notice.

Source: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/iv-fees.html
Credit Card payments are accepted at all Consulates General and must be tendered in person.

A bit of conflicting information there, can anyone who has had an interview already confirm whether of not Sydney accept credit card payments. Thanks in advance.

Source: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/fees.html

Source: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/iv-fees.html

A bit of conflicting information there, can anyone who has had an interview already confirm whether of not Sydney accept credit card payments. Thanks in advance.

Coen,

I emailed Sydney to find out cause my interview is next week!!! This was there reply:
Thank you for your email. Please refer to the attached weblink regarding acceptable fees and the
current fees. http://canberra.usembassy.gov/iv-fees.html
Thank you Immigrant Visa Unit(AT)

Total for DV seems to be $859.95.
I had a bank cheque written today. I will also take cash just incase there fees have increased and the website not updated. That way I can always ADD to the amount (with the cash) on the bank cheque if need be.

Im getting more and more nervous! I have all the documents needed to back my education, they are from education departments and government authorities - so I am confident that it should be MORE than fine. It's nerve racking as we are all aware, because this one interview can change the course of your life forever! Still, prayers would be welcomed :)

~ beach1814

This is the reply I received today.

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

You can pay by credit card on the day of your interview.

All diversity visa fees must be paid to the cashier at the U.S. Consulate General on the day of the applicants interview.

Diversity Visa (DV) Applicants on Day of Interview

DV Application

US $305.00 per visa applicant

AUS $350.75

DV Process Surcharge

US $440.00 per visa applicant

AUS $506.00

DV Security Surcharge

US $74.00 per visa applicant

AUS $85.10

Total

USD $819.00 per visa applicant

AUD $941.85

Kind regards

Sydney IV
U.S. Consulate General, Sydney

I know the feeling you describe Beech1814. Everything up until this point has been preparing for me to move, it hasn't been until about 3 days ago it dawned on me "What if I'm knocked back?"

I know that I meet all the qualifications, education, employment, financial status, medical, police check but what if for some crazy unknown reason there's a mistake. Oh well you've just got to have faith I guess, it'll be over in a week for you and two weeks for me, we just need to keep calm until then.

$941? are you serious? I've just had a cheque made out for $859.95. Arggghhh.... I wonder if it's ok for me to add the extra cash to my bank draft to make it up? OR I dont even know how to get the $$'s back off the bank cheque --- arghh.
The site they gave me said $859.95 AU/D total - did you read the link they gave me as that Coen or ?

Suggestions please?

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I remember reading somewhere that you can't split your payment method. If you are paying by credit card you need to pay all of it by credit card, you can't pay some by credit card, some cash and some as a draft/bank cheque. Given your interview is tomorrow, I would just have your bank repurchase the bank cheque (it'll probably cost you a small fee) and take the cash to interview along with a credit card as backup. Good luck tomorrow and be sure to let us know how you went, I'll be doing the same next week.

Hi Beech

Best of luck today!!!
I am know I am way to late but i would suggest the best method of payment would be via credit card. As you are paying in US $s you can then rely on your banks exchange rate rather than the consulates. I would imagine that is why there is conflicting information on costs....

I finally got my interview date - 25th Jan. I have done everything i need to do now...Just wait on second NL and sit back and wait.

I hope too hear how you went today. I know you'll be just fine!!

Hi Beech,
Did you do your interview?
I am waiting to hear the good news. God be with you my friend.

Hi Beech

Best of luck today!!!
I am know I am way to late but i would suggest the best method of payment would be via credit card. As you are paying in US $s you can then rely on your banks exchange rate rather than the consulates. I would imagine that is why there is conflicting information on costs....

I finally got my interview date - 25th Jan. I have done everything i need to do now...Just wait on second NL and sit back and wait.

I hope too hear how you went today. I know you'll be just fine!!

The best way to pay is cash, in US dollars, where nothing can go wrong. When you pay by credit card, you are paying into the US card payment system, as if you are in America. This can cause problems, with payments being flagged as security risks, differences between the systems in the US and Australia. Dont assume that your card will just work perfectly, especially if you are paying for more than one visa. When I tried to pay by visa, my card wouldnt work, even though the funds were available, because the payment was going though the US payment system.

Jules,

Did you have your interview in Sydney even though your signature says "Location - Spain"

No, I had my interview in Madrid. Although I believe the systems they will be using in Sydney will be exactly the same. The cashier uses a computer system that is connected directly into the US Government system, and swipes your card into the computer, no chip & PIN, and the payment is processed by the US Government payment system in the US.
My Visa card was actually a British issued card. If I had been using the card in the UK, my payments would have been authorised according to my bank, it was the US system that wasnt totally compatible with the British system that caused the problem.

I was lucky, and managed to find a way through. My advice is to take cash, as this is the only way to guarantee you wont have a problem. If you really want to pay by card, think to yourself how will I pay if my card does not work. Do you have a back up plan.

News I can barely talk about. Yesterday my visa was denied. I am in shock and can still barely breath at times. The consulate officer gave barely any consideration to my documents, I had everything needed and he and his supervisor were unfair and cruel. I know all my documents were not read properly my the officials. Everybody who knows me, my evidence and my case (including my attorney) is in absolute shock. All my education documents were certified government documents stating my education level and they never considered any of them. I was told my documents would be sent to Washington for further clarity and they would make the decision. Strangely, 6hrs after me leaving the consulate, they said the reply from Washington was a denial.

I hope no one else here faces the same outcome. I wish you all the best.

I'm sorry to hear that beech. I know I will be devastated if I get the same news next week. I know it's probably hard to talk about it but would you mind detailing what went on at your interview so I know what to expect. was the reason security related or education/work? I assume your police check and medical were okay.

News I can barely talk about. Yesterday my visa was denied. I am in shock and can still barely breath at times. The consulate officer gave barely any consideration to my documents, I had everything needed and he and his supervisor were unfair and cruel. I know all my documents were not read properly my the officials. Everybody who knows me, my evidence and my case (including my attorney) is in absolute shock. All my education documents were certified government documents stating my education level and they never considered any of them. I was told my documents would be sent to Washington for further clarity and they would make the decision. Strangely, 6hrs after me leaving the consulate, they said the reply from Washington was a denial.

I hope no one else here faces the same outcome. I wish you all the best.
I don't know what to say, Beech.
Anybody can imagine how it feels when such a thing happens. However, I am sure God has a better plan for you. When you know that they refused you the visa for a better reason, you will be happy and laugh out loud. I wish God bring that day to you soon. God be with you my friend.

Oh Beech :(
Am just devastated for you. Truly devastated.
Please forgive the possibly silly question, but can you appeal the decision at all?

Take care of yourself,
Tamara.

All my education documents were certified government documents stating my education level and they never considered any of them.
Mate, I cannot imagine how you must feel.

I guess the lesson we can learn from your experience is that "the playing field is definitely not level" once you step into the US consulate. They hold all the cards and call the shots.... no point in trying to argue a point with them as you will always lose. One should prepare your documents exactly as they requested or it will end in tears.

Your case proves again that no matter what anybody says, including an attorney, unless the consulate is satisfied with your documents, you will not get your visa - period.

To other forumites out there - You can see in this old thread that Beech was very confident about the documents that he had. I recommend that anyone who has any doubts about the acceptability of their documents should contact the Consulate and get their opinion as theirs is the only one that matters.

Good luck to you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate, I cannot imagine how you must feel.

I guess the lesson we can learn from your experience is that "the playing field is definitely not level" once you step into the US consulate. They hold all the cards and call the shots.... no point in trying to argue a point with them as you will always lose. One should prepare your documents exactly as they requested or it will end in tears.

Your case proves again that no matter what anybody says, including an attorney, unless the consulate is satisfied with your documents, you will not get your visa - period.

To other forumites out there - You can see in this old thread that Beech was very confident about the documents that he had. I recommend that anyone who has any doubts about the acceptability of their documents should contact the Consulate and get their opinion as theirs is the only one that matters.

Good luck to you all.

It is difficult to take the rejection, but Superkruz was exactly right to warn about not having the correct documents. In order to get a visa, you must meet the requirements, and have all of the correct documents - no excuses are acceptable. If you dont have the correct documents, dont waste your time and money.
Where are you heading Superkruz?

It is difficult to take the rejection, but Superkruz was exactly right to warn about not having the correct documents. In order to get a visa, you must meet the requirements, and have all of the correct documents - no excuses are acceptable. If you dont have the correct documents, dont waste your time and money.
Where are you heading Superkruz?

Jules, the fact is - I DID have all the correct documents. They say that they accept the equivalency with evidence issued by persons responsible for maintaining records la la la, sufficient in itself to qualify a student for college admission. I had ALL Of that - and more supporting documents from Gov officials - University admission included. I even had 2 professional evaluations from a US professor at a University, AND 1 from a company that the US education dept pointed me too, and they both said I had High school diploma.

I am so upset and disappointed.