• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2011 DV Lottery Winners from Australia Report Here!

h**p://auspost.com.au/internationalpost/products/eci/index.html (wouldn't let me post the URL due to being a new member) seems to be the only thing that Australia Post offer internationally that is fast or more importantly trackable. USA is Zone C according to Australia Post so it's $41.10 for a 500g prepaid envelope. The envelope is also cardboard so your photos won't get damaged in transit (my NL looks like a dog ate it because it's been bent that many times prior to delivery.)

I am sending my stuff off tomorrow so if you can recommend something else before then let me know.

What is everyone doing for their photos?

I have Photoshop so I was thinking of putting the two 2" x 2" photos in the middile of a a 6" x 4" with a 1cm white boarder so they can be trimmed, inserting my case number in the whitespace in the upper right corner, then using a photo kiosk to print the finished image.

Last week when I was in the US the Kodak kiosk at CVS had a US passport photo template that did 2" x 2" prints and checked the demisions of your head are correct. I haven't used a Kiosk in Australia for a while, I assume if you select passport they'll print the Australian size?

Regarding the photos, the ones you send to KCC with your completed DS-230 etc don't even get used. When you go to your interview you have to take another recent photo (less than 6months old) and that is what is used for your visa.

We just got regular passport photos done for the 1st NL set of documents then when we went to the interview there was a kodak shop downstairs from the consulate building in Sydney that did US visa photos which meet the size requirements.

Coen - congratulations! That's truly amazing. I hope it all works out for you :)

ancatdubh - that's nothing short of incredible, lol. Pity they're not transferable hey? Can I ask, did you chose to pick up (as opposed to post)your visas or did you have to? Were they nice to deal with? Or totally down to business...pleeease tell us more,lol!

IheartNY - best of luck - I heart NY too ;-)

leahsmg - thanks for your answers - you are a veritable font of information! I so hope you get a letter.
I'm wondering how much more confusing it's going to get for us working out the vaccinations, given i grew up in NZ, and my husband grew up in NZ, Canada, and Aus!

- woops I forgot to ask, how are people sending their paperwork to KCC?? Courier?? Fedex?? Beech1814 - how are you sending yours??

Hi TamaraM,

Thank you for your kind words, no news on my front as of yet! With regards to your vaccinations it shouldn't make much difference with you having grown up in NZ and your husband in NZ, Canada and Australia. I believe it would only make a difference if you'd have grown up somewhere more prone to diseases/illnesses that the vaccinations cover. Being all western countries there shouldn't be any problems at all. But as I suggested (which is what I will do also if I am lucky enough to get my NL), book an appointment with one of the listed doctors on the embassy website and find out from them exactly what vaccinations you will need. You can then always get those vaccinations done at your personal doctor which will no doubt be the cheaper option (especially if covered by Medicare) and have the paperwork sent to the embassy physician. :)

On the postage note, I also agree with Coen. Send it via Australia Post International Express Post. It is sturdy packaging and trackable and will arrive within approx. 4 days.

Good luck to everyone who is still awaiting word! Join me in my daily nervousness and impatience!! :)

DC_Boy, it seems as if TamaraM's husband used her place of birth (NZ) for his chargeability....in which case he will be eligible.

DC_Boy, the DV 2011 instructions quite clearly state that you can charge to your spouse's country of birth, if your country of birth is not eligible

1. WHAT DO THE TERMS “ELIGIBILITY”, “NATIVE” AND “CHARGEABILITY” MEAN? ARE THERE ANY SITUATIONS IN WHICH PERSONS WHO WERE NOT BORN IN A QUALIFYING COUNTRY MAY APPLY?
Your country of eligibility will normally be the same as your country of birth. Your country of eligibility is not related to where you live. ―Native‖ ordinarily means someone born in a particular country, regardless of the individual’s current country of residence or nationality. For immigration purposes, ―native‖ can also mean someone who is entitled to be ―charged‖ to a country other than the one in which he/she was born under the provisions of Section 202(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. For example, if you were born in a country that is not eligible for this year’s DV program, you may claim chargeability to the country where your derivative spouse was born, but you will not be issued a DV-1 unless your spouse is also eligible for and issued a DV-2, and both of you must enter the United States together with the DVs.

Winner :D - 2nd DV attempt

Very low case number 2011OC0000000X - So I assume I will be processed quickly if I meet the requirements.

I also have a British Passport - in the interest of full disclosure should I be sure to list this passport? (acquired through Mother)

I have an email (which is a legal document) from a senior person at the Education Department in my state and a letter from the education minister saying that my education is beyond year 12 standard, and if I wanted to apply for University I would receive a XY ranking for admission.

I am still unsure of which box to tick?

Very low case number 2011OC0000000X - So I assume I will be processed quickly if I meet the requirements.

I also have a British Passport - in the interest of full disclosure should I be sure to list this passport? (acquired through Mother)

Congratulations! I think you could be one of the first ones to be interviewed come October.

You do need to indicate all your nationalities on DS230.

LibertyMan congratulations....
Beech1814, I would tick high school since you have evidence from the ministry that you have the equivalent of a high school education.

LibertyMan congratulations....
Beech1814, I would tick high school since you have evidence from the ministry that you have the equivalent of a high school education.

Thanks Sonbiago.... what is the difference between high school, no degree - and High School Diploma?

I have had also my qualifications assessed from the education department with Ranking scores. It states that in accordance with the current standard Assessment procedure that my scores are approved by universities and college in my state. Do you think this is all that I would need or I should consider an Education Evaluation from a US company? And obviously ALL of these supporting documents will have to be taken to the interview.

Congrats Liberty Man :)

DC_Boy - thank you for your 'concern'.

Sonibago & NYBound - thanks, that's what I would have replied...

Thanks for all the congratulations - Really excited. All the best to those who are still patiently waiting.

nybound- I'll be sure to include all nationalities on DS230, thanks.
TamaraM- Letter received 24 May, post marked 20 May. Yellow envelope from Sweeden.