2010 September N-400 tracker

Had an interview today and passed civic questions and english test. Oath letter was given at the end of interview for 01/21/2011. Had to wait for another 50 days

passed interview

Today, I passed the interview at San Diego office. Now just waiting for the oath letter :)

Status update for myself and my husband:

09/07/2010 - N-400 sent to Phoenix
09/08/2010 - N-400 received
09/14/2010 - Checks cashed
09/16/2010 - NOA received
10/01/2010 - RFE email received
10/02/2010 - RFE letter received
10/22/2010 - FP appointment scheduled
10/22/2010 - FP done
10/26/2010 - Email received - case sent to local office
10/27/2010 - Interview letter
12/02/2010 - Interview date (PASSED!)
01/27/2011 - Oath Ceremony

I will post our interview experience in the San Jose Timeline - if anyone is interested!

Passed Interview

I had my interview appointment at 11:15. I arrived around 10:30 and slowly walked to the building and went inside through the security at 10:40. As I went inside and took of my shoes, walked through the detector and then grabbed my stuff and shoes, then headed to the citizenship room it was about 11:50. I dropped my letter in a tray at the entrance and took a seat. I filled out a form and was called in by IO Medina around 10:55.
I followed him to his desk and raised me right hand and swore to tell the truth, then he started by asking for my green card, ID, and passports. Then he continued to go through my n-400, my name, date of birth, adress, etc. Then he continued to ask me the 6 civic test questions.
1. Who wrote the declaration of independence? 2. What is the President's political party? 3. What are the 2 major political parties? 4. Who is the commander in chief of the military? 5. Name one state that borders Mexico? 6. Name 3 of the 13 original colonies?
After that, he asked me to read the sentence, "how many states do we have? then I had to write, we have fifty states. He then told me that I had passed and gave me the recommended for approval sheet and I was out at 11:07. Now I have to wait for the oath letter in the mail. :)
Congratulations Devanpk and Dannyh86!!!
Please share your interview experience in your spare time.

interview experience

Here is my interview experience. My interview time was 10.45 am, self reached office around 10.15 AM. I was in at the waiting area by 10.30 AM after handing over interview letter to security person. Around 11 AM an DHS officer called me by name and took me inside his room. He asked to swear to say the truth and then sit down. He was verifying my application and asked me for passport,gc.I lost my latest passport and handed him my old passport.He gone thro N400 app questions with me and confirmed my answers.Then he asked me civic questions
Name one branch or part of the government?
What did the Declaration of Independence do?
We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?
If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
What does the President’s Cabinet do?
How many justices are on the Supreme Court?

read/write when is columbus day?

At the end he said i passed the test and handed over test pass and oath letter.Oath will be on Jan 21 2011 at local federal court.
I think may be because of holiday season.

@Devanpk and Dannyh86 -- Thanks guys for the taking the time to share your experience. Congratulations once again!!!!

DO: Cincinnati OH
9/24/2010: N400 sent
9/29/2010: Application reveived by USCIS (RD)
10/05/2010: Check cashed
10/08/2010: ND (received receipt #)
10/08/2010: Received FP letter (schedule for 10/25/2010)
10/25/2010: FP Done.
11/01/2010: Email & Txt: Case Transferred to Local Office
11/06/2010: Received interview letter (scheduled for 12/07/2010)
12/07/2010: interview date
12/07/2010. Received N652, with a decision cannot be made, they need a few things from me lease/court documents from past criminal case.
Very disappointed that i didn't walk out of there approved, but hopelly, they will approve me before long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Select Service letter

This is just a fyi to all those that might be interested in obtaining a Selective service letter. Although, it is not a must have in my scenario, I went ahead applied for the letter. And to my pleasant surprise I got it within 3 weeks.

DO: Cincinnati OH
9/24/2010: N400 sent
9/29/2010: Application reveived by USCIS (RD)
10/05/2010: Check cashed
10/08/2010: ND (received receipt #)
10/08/2010: Received FP letter (schedule for 10/25/2010)
10/25/2010: FP Done.
11/01/2010: Email & Txt: Case Transferred to Local Office
11/06/2010: Received interview letter (scheduled for 12/07/2010)
12/07/2010: interview date
12/07/2010. Received N652, with a decision cannot be made, they need a few things from me lease/court documents from past criminal case.
Very disappointed that i didn't walk out of there approved, but hopelly, they will approve me before long.
Last edited by bengals.

Hi bengals

what is the criminal issue . you are being member of this forum and you know to take the courst dispostion/ certified records . good luck

Hi Senthil,

What is your online status ?

My timelines are below and the status is still RFE...

Oct 06 ND
Oct 18 FP Scheduled
Nov 02 FP Done

Waiting for the Yellow Letter ...

passed the interview. been verbally given ceremony date toward the end of the interview session.

As I promised, I'm letting you know how was my interview. The race is over! Passed my interview today, December, 9th within less than 10 min. The IO was really professional and nice (with appropriate level of sense of humor:)). Nothing unusual, though the first question was if I have studied for the test;). And I replied, that I was taking the US history (starting from 1865) class, so it was not a big deal at all:eek:. Regular 6 questions (remembered only 5), went through the application briefly. And that was it.

Only papers were requested: passport and GC. Oh, at the end of interview I've asked the IO if I was supposed to disclose my red light camera ticket and the officer said that there was no need for that, but since I brought it we have both enjoyed 3 pictures of my car crossing the intersection on red.

In fact, he has mentioned that they would have granted the applicant the citizenship even in case of speeding ticket (as long as you don't have DUI).

Then he asked me if I was ready for the Oath. I replied: "Sure, today?" He smiled: "No, we're packed for today. What about the next Thursday?" Definitely, I've agreed, and he asked me if I could wait in waiting room for the Oath letter (so they won't have to send it over to me via regular mail). I agreed again, and within 30-40 min. I was given the letter.

What I really liked: his professional attitude (although his was somewhere in his late 20's-mid 30's) and being stick to the point.

DO - Chicago, IL (GC holder since 12/02/2005)
9/07/2010: n400 sent
9/09/2010: Application received by USCIS, Phoenix, AZ
9/20/2010: Check cashed
9/23/2010: FP letter scheduled for 10/05/2010
10/05/2010: FP done
10/29/2010: Status changed for "Interview and testing"
11/01/2010: Letter about Case Transferred to Local Office with scheduled ID for 12/09/2010
11/15/2010: YL (passport and GC)
12/09/2010: ID, the race is over!
12/16/2010: the Oath

I wish everyone good luck on interview!

Another September 2010 approval.

DO : Dallas, TX
N-400 sent : 09/11/2010
FP done : 10/07/2010
Interview : 12/07/2010
Oath : 12/07/2010 (same day oath)

Congratulations, afaafa! When you get a moment would you please share your experience with the group?

Another September 2010 approval.

DO : Dallas, TX
N-400 sent : 09/11/2010
FP done : 10/07/2010
Interview : 12/07/2010
Oath : 12/07/2010 (same day oath)

Hi bentobox, thank you!

My interview was very straight forward and was done in about 10 minutes. After swearing me in to tell the truth, the IO asked for my GC, DL, passports and social security card. He did not ask for any other supporting documents. He quickly went over my application verifying my name, address, info about kids and asked whether I had any arrests in the past and whether I owe any taxes. I did not have any issues except a couple of traffic tickets (speeding and red light crossing) from early 2000. After finishing the review of my application, he gave me the test (chief justice of supreme court, number of voting members in the house, who was George Washington, in which month do we vote for the president, I don't remember the remaining questions). Once I answered the first 6 questions correctly, he asked me to read the sentence (which was typed on a paper) "Who was George Washington?" and asked me to write the answer "Washington was our first president.". Then he said "Congratulations! You made it look so easy!" with a smile and asked me whether I would like to take oath that afternoon. I said "sure" :) The oath ceremony was at 1:30 PM that afternoon and I was out by 3:00 PM with my naturalization certificate. There were 116 people from 36 different countries who took oath that day. That was it!

By the way, applicants are allowed to carry cell phones into Dallas DO office (which is now in Irving) and use them in the waiting area but not during the interview. I didn't know about this and left my cell phone in my car before entering the building. My IO specifically told me to turn off my cell phone as soon as we (he and I) were in his office.

One more thing, I have read on this forum somewhere that the County Clerk's office in Dallas downtown (600 Commerce St) verifies and returns naturalization certificate to the applicant (without keeping it with the application and delivering it later with the passport) when applying for passport in-person there. I thought that was nice because I don't need to worry about getting the naturalization certificate damaged or getting it lost in the mail. Unfortunately, that is not true. When I called them, I was told that they need to keep the certificate with the application until passport is issued. So, I went to my nearest post office the next day (12/08/2010) and applied for my US passport.

Thank you for sharing your experience afaafa. Congrats again.

Two quick questions:
1. Did you declare your traffic tickets on the n-400 application?
2. Did the IO ask about them, or did you bring it up during the interview?

Thanks!

I did not have any issues except a couple of traffic tickets (speeding and red light crossing) from early 2000.