2010 November N-400 tracker

I was just about to get off to bed, then i got a new email: "Testing and Interview , Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled. You will be sent a notice advising you of the date and time of your interview...." Yeah ~~

I wonder how their system works if the status changes late at night as well as during the work day. Someone scanning the incoming cases bar codes round the clock? Automated system updates in batches?

Never mind, found the answer:
No, it means an automated batch process caused the SMS to be sent at 1:00am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Realized I could have walked-in for fingerprints only after having had my actual appointment. Bummer.
I wonder if it really speeds up the case handling? Some members did have their case progress to "Testing and Interview" before their scheduled FP date (a week after the FP walk-in in SPB2011's case, who is in the same DO as me), but for me it has already been 2 weeks since my scheduled FP and still no status change. Perhaps it's the matter of the previous stages such as name check not having been completed yet?
I did check with the FBI - my fingerprints were sent back on the date of the appointment and have not been rejected, so no slowdown there.

I got my FP done on 12/1 as scheduled and I'm still waiting for status change. I did get the YL about a week ago but that's all. I've noticed TX lockbox appears to be a lot slower than others although the applicants in TX appear to have better luck. I know someone who applied in October and still waiting for the interview letter...TX lockbox also. So 2 weeks wait actually isn't that bad.. :D It will be there soon..

I noticed that Houston DO appears slower than others, but still average of 90 days processing - FP a month after filing, IL a month after FP date, Interview a month after the IL.
Well, I went ahead and called the Customer Service 800 number today. My case has been transferred to the local office yesterday, but the website does not automatically reflect this. Perhaps I will receive a status change text/e-mail today. No interview date yet, but I assume it will be scheduled today or tomorrow. Judging by the others' dates the status may change just when the IL is issued and mailed.

I noticed that Houston DO appears slower than others, but still average of 90 days processing - FP a month after filing, IL a month after FP date, Interview a month after the IL.
Well, I went ahead and called the Customer Service 800 number today. My case has been transferred to the local office yesterday, but the website does not automatically reflect this. Perhaps I will receive a status change text/e-mail today. No interview date yet, but I assume it will be scheduled today or tomorrow. Judging by the others' dates the status may change just when the IL is issued and mailed.

If your case has been transferred to the local office yesterday, you will receive your interview letter very soon. The website doesnt update that often sometimes. Congrats

If your case has been transferred to the local office yesterday, you will receive your interview letter very soon. The website doesnt update that often sometimes. Congrats

Thank you, let's hope so! I really need an interview before February 22nd (the only oath date in February for us here). If they schedule right away (i.e. Friday) there is a good chance of getting 17-18th. Come Monday and we are pushing this. I wonder if there is enough time to pass the paperwork on if the interview falls on the date right before the oath ceremony.

Thank you, let's hope so! I really need an interview before February 22nd (the only oath date in February for us here). If they schedule right away (i.e. Friday) there is a good chance of getting 17-18th. Come Monday and we are pushing this. I wonder if there is enough time to pass the paperwork on if the interview falls on the date right before the oath ceremony.

How do you know the Feb oath date for Houston? Is there really a way to find that out?

There was a sign with dates for 2011 posted behind one of the officers' windows for their own convenience, I guess. I saw one at my Infopass appointment (unrelated to N-400) and then simply walked in and asked at the information window when I could not find the sign. The March 2011 date is 23rd and I believe there were two for January, the second around 16th, but I am not too sure.

In the San Francisco tracker,
I got my case transferred to local office on Dec 30th and got the YL issued on Jan. 3rd., the interview normally happens right after 30 days. I got mine for Feb 3rd..another month for the Oath.. hopefully we'll be done here by March First

Hi, i posted on the same date as you. My USCIS case status say still request for evidence. I did my finger print on 12/13.
How did you know the case was transferred to local office? and how did get to know your interview date.
I am little worried..

Hi, i posted on the same date as you. My USCIS case status say still request for evidence. I did my finger print on 12/13.
How did you know the case was transferred to local office? and how did get to know your interview date.
I am little worried..

keep checking your case status on uscis's website. they change it. it will say "interview and testing" and underneath it it will say your case has been transferred to local office. and once your case is transferred to local office, you get a letter from your local office aka yellow letter telling you the interview date.
good luck

Call to USCIS Service Center - different info

Amazing. Apparently in tier 2 Customer Service it is who you talk to that matters. Called again yesterday, got a male officer with quite an attitude who insisted that there was nothing in my case to indicate it has been requested by the local office and transferred. He actually implied that I was lying about having received such information before.
I was so discouraged that I decided to call again and see which officer was right. Had major trouble convincing the first customer service person to transfer me to tier 2. But I was finally connected and got the nicest officer ever. Very polite and helpful, very willing to look up the information in various sections that he kept checking. What he discovered finally made sense. The local office did request the case on the 12th of January. But it has not been transferred just yet. This sounds right since the case contains my original application hence has to be mailed and not just electronically transferred. I am in line to be scheduled an interview, and according to this last officer the Service Center does that based on the local office slot availability.
It seems that it's not such a good idea to rely on the non-written information. A single person may not know everything (like the original tier 2 person who told me that my case had been requested AND transferred) or may not be willing to check the file thoroughly (like the opinionated officer who was not so helpful).
P.S. I cross-post in this thread and the Houston N-400 - is this all right for this forum? Hope my experience is helpful to someone.

I just got a notification that my case has been transferred to the local office. I am assuming that I will get the yellow letter soon. Approximately how many days after they change my case status to 'testing and interview' will my interview take place?

11/27/2010 - application mailed
11/29/2010 - application received
12/10/2010 - NOA received (updated online 12/1/2010)
12/27/2010 - FP letter received (updated online 12/20/2010)
01/03/2011 - scheduled FP

Notification received today that my case has been transferred to a local office and my case status has been updated to Testing and Interview.

Kgurl, you and I filed the same day and you got your YL days before I did. Have you received your IL yet?

Done with the Interview. Seem pretty straight forward; in and out of the interview room in about 40 minutes; a bit waiting before though as I got there early. Recommended for approval; hope oath ceremony in Oakland in Feb. Button down shirt+jeans+sneakers+jacket also didn't seem to have any problem (will see if this is right when the finally decision come).

11/09/2010 (Day 00) - N-400 Sent via USPS Standard First Class Mail
11/12/2010 (Day 03) - Date Received
11/16/2010 (Day 07) - Email USCIS Acceptance Confirmation
11/16/2010 (Day 07) - Check cashed
11/19/2010 (Day 10) - I-797C Noticed of Action (Receipt) Received (Dated 11/16/2010)
11/27/2010 (Day 18) - I-797C Noticed of Action (Biometrics Notification) Received (Dated 11/24/2010)
12/06/2010 (Day 27) - Scheduled Biometrics
12/06/2010 (Day 27) - Biometrics Completed
12/14/2010 (Day 35) - Case status updated to "Testing and Interview"
12/17/2010 (Day 38) - I-797C Noticed of Action (Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview) Received (Dated 12/14/2010)
12/17/2010 (Day 38) - N-659 (Naturalization Interview Document Check List) Received
01/20/2011 (Day 72) - Scheduled Interview
01/20/2011 (Day 72) - Interview Completed
01/20/2011 (Day 72) - N-652 Naturalization Interview Results Given. "You passed the tests of English and US history and government." and "Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval. At this time, it appears that you have established your eligibility for naturalization. If final approval is granted, you will be notified when and where to report for the Oath Ceremony."

N-652 Naturalization Interview Results Given. "You passed the tests of English and US history and government." and "Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval. At this time, it appears that you have established your eligibility for naturalization. If final approval is granted, you will be notified when and where to report for the Oath Ceremony."

Congratualtions Marballe!

I have few questions I would like to ask you though... 1) where is you DO? 2) why it needs final approval? is your case based on asylum?, because from what i have read in this website most get their approval right away. In some occationes, even oath cermony. 3) and when is your fifth aniversary mark?

I know I have asked you a lot of question but I would appreciate it if you take the time to answer them

Finally received the case status update e-mail at 3:45 pm. Status changed to "Testing and interview". No SMS, though! I did sign up for it.

Congratulations, marballe!

Congratualtions Marballe!

I have few questions I would like to ask you though... 1) where is you DO? 2) why it needs final approval? is your case based on asylum?, because from what i have read in this website most get their approval right away. In some occationes, even oath cermony. 3) and when is your fifth aniversary mark?

I know I have asked you a lot of question but I would appreciate it if you take the time to answer them

#1. I guess I forgot to put my DO down. It's San Francisco, CA.

#2. I applied based on the five years rule. I think it depends on the office? I don't think SF does same day oath ceremony. To me, it sounds like the final approval is a standard procedure or double checking something (idk...). The other option he could checked was "A decision cannot yet be made about your application."

#3. My five years was in 2009. I waited a bit b/c I am a procrastinator (I was a bit hectic in 09-10 as it was my last year with my B.S.; then moving makes it even longer as I needed to wait till SF has the jurisdiction). Lol.

11/09/2010 (Day 00) - N-400 Sent via USPS Standard First Class Mail
11/12/2010 (Day 03) - Date Received
11/16/2010 (Day 07) - Email USCIS Acceptance Confirmation
11/16/2010 (Day 07) - Check cashed
11/19/2010 (Day 10) - I-797C Noticed of Action (Receipt) Received (Dated 11/16/2010)
11/27/2010 (Day 18) - I-797C Noticed of Action (Biometrics Notification) Received (Dated 11/24/2010)
12/06/2010 (Day 27) - Scheduled Biometrics
12/06/2010 (Day 27) - Biometrics Completed
12/14/2010 (Day 35) - Case status updated to "Testing and Interview"
12/17/2010 (Day 38) - I-797C Noticed of Action (Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview) Received (Dated 12/14/2010)
12/17/2010 (Day 38) - N-659 (Naturalization Interview Document Check List) Received
01/20/2011 (Day 72) - Scheduled Interview
01/20/2011 (Day 72) - Interview Completed
01/20/2011 (Day 72) - N-652 Naturalization Interview Results Given. "You passed the tests of English and US history and government." and "Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval. At this time, it appears that you have established your eligibility for naturalization. If final approval is granted, you will be notified when and where to report for the Oath Ceremony."