2010 April N-400 Tracker

I had my naturalization interview today. The appointment was scheduled for 1:50 PM. I arrived at 1:30 PM but was not called until 2:45 PM. The waiting room was packed with a very diverse crowd. A middle aged lady called my name. We went into her office and she swore me in. She was very pleasant and put me at ease. She asked me to read 'Which state has most people?' She then asked me to write 'California has most people'. She then asked me the following questions:

1. There are 4 amendments on who can vote. Name one.
2. Why did colonists come to America?
3. Who is the head of the executive branch?
4. If the president cannot serve, who becomes president?
5. What is one right or freedom from the first ammendment?
6. During the cold war what was the main concern for the United States?

The immigration officer reviwed my application line by line. She asked me to print my new name on the 2 passport pictures. She asked me why I did not register for selective service and I explained that I did not know of the requirement. I had written an explanation letter when I mailed in my N400. She asked me what was my status between ages 18 and 26 and I informed her that I was out of status at that time. She asked me what my previous status before that and I informed her I was an F1 student. I was expecting more questioning but thankfully she moved on. She told me everything looked fine and she would get me into the next oath ceremony which happens to be 8/4/10. I was pleasantly surprised as my DO has an average waiting time of between 1 and 2 months for oath ceremony. She asked me to wait in the lounge and 20 minutes later I got an oath letter for 8/4/10. I had brought in a boatload of documents but she only asked to see my marriage ceremony. All in all it was a good inverview and I can't wait to be a USC.

Great. Congrats

Citizenship Interview at 26 Federal Plaza Yesterday

I will keep the interview portion short (most of the process similar to other peoples posting for all the locations).

- Interview was set for 7:30a.m at 26 federal plaza. We arrived at 6:45 at the building and were in by 7:15am (thought we might be late....but the security check didnot start till 7:00AM).
- Gave our interview letter at the receptionist. The guy said that he will make sure that we (my wife and I) get the same IO.
- My wife was done with her interview in 15 minutes (questions, read, write, check application). Nothing new. She came back into the waiting room and told me what had happened in the interview room.
- 20 minutes later I went into the room and was done in 15 minute (with the same IO).
- Got the "recommend for approval" letter but didnot get the OAT Letter. SEE THE KICKER BELOW.

NOW HERE IS WHAT I FOUND FROM MY PROCESS.

- I had a few tickets (basic stuff like inspection expiry, no number plate on the front, park in the fire lane). I have seen some postings that say you have to mention it on the N-400 form (and some say you don't). My take is that you don't have to (based on what is mentioned in the USCIS booklet & the DOCUMENT CHECKLIST that was sent with the interview letter). These are minor traffic infractions, you don't have to mention it or bring any proof (if you mention it on the application then you are stuck with showing the proof). Only serious issues (>500 fine issues, DUI, arrests, charges...). When the officer asked me this question....i said no. She didnot ask any further questions about this.

- During the interview, IO didnot ask for ANY papers (that's why we were done with the interviews so quickly....15 minutes each). All she asked when I (and my wife) entered the room was the passport and the green card. I was prepared with all the documents mentioned in this forum though (gave me confidence just having them). THANKS EVERYONE. The IO we had was a black lady (about 5' 3". medium built). She was too nice (was cheering all throughout the interview). Made it easy for me to relax.

- HERE IS THE KICKER: Everything went fine but for one issue. My wife has a middle name. On the green card, only the initial was shown (not the full middle name even though we filled the I-485 form with the full middle name). We were told that the USCIS is updating their system with the full middle name (for citizenship) instead of just the initial. The IO said that she had to update the system with this info. I mentioned (my wife told me what happened in the interview room before I went in 20 minutes later...............that's how I knew to ask further questions regarding my wife's file) that when she got the green card she did ask why the full middle name is not shown.....they said that they only show the initial as their policy. IO apologized stating that it wasn't our mistake in anyway.........it's just that originally USCIS had only the middle initial but are now migrating to full middle name on the citizenship papers. She said it will take them TWO MONTHS to update their system and send us our oath letter. she already gave both of us the "recommended for approval" letters. she said when we get the oath letter, take the green card and surrender it at the naturalization location.

On my way out I asked her again if my wife has to come again for the interview to which she replied that everything is approved.............just need to update their system.

5/23/2005 - Got Green Card
4/1/2010 – N400 App mailed
4/8/2010 – Priority date
4/29/2010 – FP Walk in Date
5/17/2010 – FP Scheduled Date
6/14/2010 – Yellow Letter
7/4/2010 – Interview Letter
8/3/2010 - Interview

10/18/2010 Update to the above info:
Got the oath letter a month later (9/20/2010). Took oath on 10/13/2010. Applied for passport same day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats for the interview.

Is there anybody else who had similar experience with middle name issue.

I will keep the interview portion short (most of the process similar to other peoples posting for all the locations).

- Interview was set for 7:30a.m at 26 federal plaza. We arrived at 6:45 at the building and were in by 7:15am (thought we might be late....but the security check didnot start till 7:00AM).
- Gave our interview letter at the receptionist. The guy said that he will make sure that we (my wife and I) get the same IO.
- My wife was done with her interview in 15 minutes (questions, read, write, check application). Nothing new. She came back into the waiting room and told me what had happened in the interview room.
- 20 minutes later I went into the room and was done in 15 minute (with the same IO).
- Got the "recommend for approval" letter but didnot get the OAT Letter. SEE THE KICKER BELOW.

- I had a few tickets (basic stuff like inspection expiry, no number plate on the front, park in the fire lane). I have seen some postings that say you have to mention it on the N-400 form (and some say you don't). My take is that you don't have to (based on what is mentioned in the USCIS booklet & the DOCUMENT CHECKLIST that was sent with the interview letter). These are minor traffic infractions, you don't have to mention it or bring any proof (if you mention it on the application then you are stuck with showing the proof). Only serious issues (>500 fine issues, DUI, arrests, charges...). When the officer asked me this question....i said no. She didnot ask any further questions about this.

- During the interview, IO didnot ask for ANY papers (that's why we were done with the interviews so quickly....15 minutes each). All she asked when I (and my wife) entered the room was the passport and the green card. I was prepared with all the documents mentioned in this forum though (gave me confidence just having them). THANKS EVERYONE. The IO we had was a black lady (about 5' 3". medium built). She was too nice (was cheering all throughout the interview). Made it easy for me to relax.

- HERE IS THE KICKER: Everything went fine but for one issue. My wife has a middle name. On the green card, only the initial was shown (not the full middle name even though we filled the I-485 form with the full middle name). We were told that the USCIS is updating their system with the full middle name (for citizenship) instead of just the initial. The IO said that she had to update the system with this info. I mentioned (my wife told me what happened in the interview room before I went in 20 minutes later...............that's how I knew to ask further questions regarding my wife's file) that when she got the green card she did ask why the full middle name is not shown.....they said that they only show the initial as their policy. IO apologized stating that it wasn't our mistake in anyway.........it's just that originally USCIS had only the middle initial but are now migrating to full middle name on the citizenship papers. She said it will take them TWO MONTHS to update their system and send us our oath letter. she already gave both of us the "recommended for approval" letters. she said when we get the oath letter, take the green card and surrender it at the naturalization location.

On my way out I asked her again if my wife has to come again for the interview to which she replied that everything is approved.............just need to update their system.

4/8/2010 – Priority date
8/3/2010 - Interview

USC today! It was a beautiful ceremony. There were over 600 new citizens at the ceremony. I would like to thank all members of this forum and especially those who take their time to answer other people' questions. Good luck to everyone who is still in the process.

thinking about it more, this does not make sense as if you chose to chnage your name completely, they allow you right then and there.

any thoughts?

4/8/2010 – Priority date
8/3/2010 - Interview

Hi everybody,

My case was transferred to the local office on Aug 4, so I assume I will get the IL shortly.

Fairfax DO
04-02-2010 : N-400 Sent
04/05/2010 : N-400 Rec.
5/19/2010 : FP Scheduled
5/5/2010 : FP done
6/03/2010: YL
8/04/2010: Case transferred:
xxxxxxxx: Received IL

Received interview appointment

Greer, SC
Package sent on Apr 9,2010
Delivered to TX, Apr13
Check Cashed, Apr 22
Receipt notice in the mail, Apr 28 (priority date Apr 13)
Bio Apptmt letter received, Apr 30
Bio Apptmt, May 19 (Charlotte, NC)
Infopass July 30th - was told that I was in cue for interview
Case Transferred - August 3rd
Interview Letter Received - August 5th
Interview - Sept 3rd

Greer, SC
Package sent on Apr 9,2010
Delivered to TX, Apr13
Check Cashed, Apr 22
Receipt notice in the mail, Apr 28 (priority date Apr 13)
Bio Apptmt letter received, Apr 30
Bio Apptmt, May 19 (Charlotte, NC)
Infopass July 30th - was told that I was in cue for interview
Case Transferred - August 3rd
Interview Letter Received - August 5th
Interview - Sept 3rd

you are on the way

You were on fast track. I did my fp on 6/1/2010 and no news yet. Just got YL but no online status update or any other communication.

What's your DO emno? You should be receiving IL anytime now. You should have been the first considering you started the April tracker. Anyway, cheers and good luck again.

Hi everyone,

I had to travel overseas since sending in my N400. I'm now back in the US for my interview on August 10th. When I went through customs I did not get a stamp in my passport. Can the officer in the interview still see that I had been out of the country. Can they see the exact times? Just curious, how they even keep track of departure and entry with Green Card. And, does anybody know the time line for oath ceremony in Fresno, CA? Thanks!

Yes, the interviewing Officer will have your travel information if you travelled within a few days after getting your N400 receipt. Also, just before the Oath, USCIS will go through your file and verify all the information including your travel. So, it you need to make sure to disclose the exact travel dates and countries you visited
at the time of Interview.

Your case decision after the interview may get extended due to your travel after filing N400.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

Hi everyone,

I had to travel overseas since sending in my N400. I'm now back in the US for my interview on August 10th. When I went through customs I did not get a stamp in my passport. Can the officer in the interview still see that I had been out of the country. Can they see the exact times? Just curious, how they even keep track of departure and entry with Green Card. And, does anybody know the time line for oath ceremony in Fresno, CA? Thanks!