2-yr EAD ...backlog reduction

rajum

Registered Users (C)
This is the news I found in www.immigration-law.com
breaking news section
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

12/25/2003: Agencies' Plan 2004: I-485 Backlog and Issuance of 2-Year Valid EAD (Series 4)

The BCIS has been considering for quite some time to issue a two-year valid EAD for the I-485 waiters in order to relieve itself from the increasing EAD processing workloads as affected by the growing delay of adjudication of I-485 applications. People must have noticed from the BCIS monthly report of immigration benefits petitions/applications that the EAD processing takes a substantial portion of its workloads which have kept growing because of the delays in processing of underlying I-485 applications. The BCIS may issue this proposed regulation soon with the 60-day comment period. This category will be reserved only for those applying for I-485 adjustment of status, or having filed Form I-485. The rule change would give the BCIS the flexibility to issue EADs for the length of time it anticipates that adjudication of a given case will take.
This is a very welcome move. However, one wonders where is the promise to reduce processing times of applications to six months.

Originally posted by rajum
This is the news I found in www.immigration-law.com
breaking news section
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

12/25/2003: Agencies' Plan 2004: I-485 Backlog and Issuance of 2-Year Valid EAD (Series 4)

The BCIS has been considering for quite some time to issue a two-year valid EAD for the I-485 waiters in order to relieve itself from the increasing EAD processing workloads as affected by the growing delay of adjudication of I-485 applications. People must have noticed from the BCIS monthly report of immigration benefits petitions/applications that the EAD processing takes a substantial portion of its workloads which have kept growing because of the delays in processing of underlying I-485 applications. The BCIS may issue this proposed regulation soon with the 60-day comment period. This category will be reserved only for those applying for I-485 adjustment of status, or having filed Form I-485. The rule change would give the BCIS the flexibility to issue EADs for the length of time it anticipates that adjudication of a given case will take.
This is a very welcome move. However, one wonders where is the promise to reduce processing times of applications to six months.

Would be a good idea. Atleast there would be some reduction in the overall backlog thru fewer EAD applications.

What is this ? Once they start giving EAD for 2 years USCIS will say dont ask about 485 for 2 years. They should reduce EAD to 6 months and process 485 cases within that.

I know I am being optimistic but there is no harm in dreaming.

Gambler,

I agree with you. There is no point in giving EAD for 2 years, rather they should give decision on I-485 within 1 year.

Giving EAD for 2 years may be good for the I-485 filers in 2004 but not already filed 485 waiters.

I-485 is just an adjustment of status and takes approx. 15 minutes for an adjudicator to give decision.

there may be some reason in delaying H1B/Labour/I-140 but there is no point in delaying the I-485 stage.

They are not telling the real cause in delaying I-485 except for security checks, Better give decison for those filers whose security checks have been cleared.

OR...I-485 filers should only file after their security checks have been cleared.

thanks
Sg

NOTHING

Guys,

This is nothing. Another dirty trick from USCIS. The EAD is useless in many ways, even if they issue it for 10 years. Actually the longer, the worse it is. Focus on the issue. Adjudication within six months.