1st Trip Since Green Card, need advice!

TrinPrince

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

Since I've gotten my green card, I've enrolled in school & gotten a ton of other stuff done.

Now I will be flying down to Florida for orientation at my university in about a month.

I have not flown since the 80's..... :cool:
I'd like some input on what to expect when I enter the airport & begin to maneuver through all the security & document checking.

I'll be bringing the following:

drivers license
ss# card
green card
work permit
passport

Is there anything else I should bring to make the process go smoothly as possible? :confused:

Thanks
TrinP.

Hello,

Since I've gotten my green card, I've enrolled in school & gotten a ton of other stuff done.

Now I will be flying down to Florida for orientation at my university in about a month.

I'd like some input on what to expect when I enter the airport & begin to maneuver through all the security & document checking.

drivers license
ss# card
green card
work permit
passport

Is there anything else I should bring to make the process go smoothly as possible? :confused:

Thanks
TrinP.

If you are travelling within the US, then just DL is enough. If you are travelling outside the US, then GC and passport are needed.

At some airports they have been asking for evidence of legal status, if they see that you are not a citizen (like if they see "temporary" on your driver's license). So show your DL, but bring your green card just in case.

There is also a legal requirement to have your green card in your possession at all times. It is rare that they enforce this regulation literally; attorney web sites generally say it is sufficient to have it within reasonable driving distance of wherever you go. That means you definitely should not leave it hundreds of miles away at your original home.

Hello,

drivers license
ss# card
green card
work permit
passport

Thanks
TrinP.

Your workpermit is not valid after you get your green card. Keep it somewhere as a souviner.
Your university may need to see your green card, so as not to charge you International Fees.
Passport not really needed unless you plan to travel out of the country.