183 days stay in US to retain green card.

GCAspirant

Registered Users (C)
183 days rule in US

Can somebody explain the rule, if a person has to be in US for 183 days in a "Calendar year" or "in a year ( a period of 365 days)".

Rephrasing the above question: How are the 183 days counted? Is it from the day you left US until the day of re-entry? Does the clock (183 days )gets reset after entering US?

Can some body list any links about 183 days stay?

Thanks JoeF. ..But

I got my GC though CP. My POE is Dec 1,2001. I still live in Canada. My employer in US is willing to take me back. But due to the economic situation and bench situation, they want me to wait for some more time in Canada.

The question now is, How long can I wait in Canada without impacting this 183 days rule?

Having spent 6 years in waiting, I do not want to stay any longer in limbo and then seek a re-admission? I do not want any further trouble on this account.

Now, with the 183 days or 6 months, the period where I am allowed to be out of US with no questoions asked, what is last date for me to be out of US. Is it end of May-2002 or end of June 2002?

What is your opinion?
Thanks in advance.

180 Days from Notice date or Receipt date

Hello,
I applied for 485 processing in September 2001 and received the notice in November, 2001. The 485 receipt that I received shows a receipt date - Sept and notice date - Nov. Can anyone tell me
1. How are the 180 days counted? From the receipt date or notice date?
2. If I want to change the current employer, can I use my EAD or do I need to have a new H1B sponsored?

I invite everyone to have a cup of Chai with me and discuss this.

Thanks much,
Murali.

No Title

Hi,
I think the rule of 180days start from your date of receipt date.
If you want to change employer you do not need H1B but you can work on EAD>

Can i go in Europe i f am ia m permanent resident ,with expiration data 4/5 2002

.My green card it finish expirate date 4/5 2002 with change by the time.I have problem if \I want go to visit my forging country]

Need to travel outside U.S. but my GC\'s expiring...

I have been living in U.S. almost ten years, my GC is expiring in the middle of April this year and I need to travel outside of U.S. next month for about 6 months. It means I HAVE to renew/replace a new one ASAP before I leave and I know the process takes up to 12 months, my question is am I going to receive any documentation for traveling outside U.S.?

Also I have read a lot about the "183 days" issue in here, I do have questions on "Living abroad and just coming to the US once in a while does not work" and "You also have to pay US taxes on your *worldwide* income and file a resident tax return at all times as a PR, otherwise, INS may determine that you abandoned your residency." First of all, where do I get the application form to file a resident tax return if I worked outside U.S.? Also is there a limit for coming back to U.S. every 6 months before the GC is being taken away?

Thanks for your time and help.

Chi.

Yes, you need to renew or replace your GC ASAP.

I made few phone calls about that because I am having the same problem. I have been told you need to renew/replace a new GC allows to come back, I have downloaded the application form from www.immigration.com but I forgot which page exactly was it. So access their web site and find more information there.

Chi.

Australian would like to relocate to U.S. - where to start?

do you need a sponsor? for a job? i\'ve met a man that\'s very interested in relocating to the U.S. He has a good job in Australia, however our job situation isn\'t real good here in the states. Do you need a job offer before getting the ok? How can you get a job here from another country? Any help would be appreciated.

If he can\'t relocate here, I may try to relocate there. does anyone have any information about how to do that?

Thanks. Kari Ann

Thanks, JoeF.

First of all, thanks for your fast response and SuperHelp.

You have answered most of my question, but where do I get the stamp in my passport allows travel outside of U.S.? Would the be one part of the process when I renew my GC?

Please let me know, again thanks for your help and info.

Chi.

To Joef. Again about 180-day rule. Very Urgent!

I\'m Green Card holder for 2 years from Russia , where I have fiancee. We are waiting for baby in June, but with present waiting times in INS there is no possibility for my fiancee to be admitted in US till at least 3-4 years. Since I\'d not like to be on welfare, I\'d like to go to Russia for marrying him and baby delivery and then return to USA. But will not be fact of delivery abroad considered as intention to leave USA (even if following no more than 180-days rule)? Is it true that in this case I don\'t have to petition for special visa for baby till his 2-nd birthday?
And if it less than 180 days do I have to have residence(rent/own appartment) in USA?
Thank you.

I got answered

I got answered more-less but not for last 2 questions.
Please, share experience.
Fly2.

GC Processing Delay

Hi All,

I heard yesterday, that they are going to delay the 485 processing for 2 years. means all approvals will take atleast 2 years.
I don\'t know to what extent it is true ?
Can anybody have any idea.

BTW : my receipt date is in july 2001 and notice date is august 2001