180 days question

Samy70

Registered Users (C)
Hi I have completed 180 days for I-485 & now have a better offer from another company. I spoke with the lawyer of the new compnay & they told me I need copies of my labor approval & I-140 approval. I don't have any.
My current employer who filed my labor & I-140 is not willing to give it them to me.
Do you really need these documents to change jobs after 180 days ?
I have copies of my 485 notice, EAD & advance parole.

Pl reply if anybody has faced similar situation.

Thanks

RD : 7/8/02
ND : 7/12/02
EAD : 7/21/02
AP : 7/25/02

Originally posted by Samy70
Pl reply if anybody has faced similar situation.

Thanks

RD : 7/8/02
ND : 7/12/02
EAD : 7/21/02
AP : 7/25/02 [/B]

I can't believe that someone filed in July'02 has finished 180 days. Just kidding. I switched job after 10 months on 485 and already going to complete 7 months on my new job and still no sign of approval. Damn frustrating !!

Coming to ur questions, it is better if you have the copies of ur 140 and labor approvals.
Yo need labor approval copy to find a similar job. As u already have one, it will be helpful, in case u get a RFE.

Good luck in ur new job. Please leave ur current employer in good terms 'cos i just read somewhere in this forum that INS doesn't hold a definite rule in 140 revocation after 180 days on 485. Please be cautious.

Hope this helps.

Here is one solution you may try at ur own risk:

Get ur old attorney information like name, address and ph # and ask your new company attorney to send request letter to him asking for Labor and I-140 petition. Lawyers are pretty good in handling the request if it comes from another lawyer.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
The problem is I don't have any documents for the labor or I-140. I only have EAC # for I-140.
In my current company GC process is handeled by legal Dept & lawyer won't respond to any request if it comes from outside. It looks like I can't get these documents & hence can't change jobs till I get GC.

Originally posted by Samy70
Hi, Thanks for your reply.
The problem is I don't have any documents for the labor or I-140. I only have EAC # for I-140.
In my current company GC process is handeled by legal Dept & lawyer won't respond to any request if it comes from outside. It looks like I can't get these documents & hence can't change jobs till I get GC.

I am in the same boat as you are - this is my experience
(1) You only need the EAD to start a new job - not I-140/I-485 apps.
(2) You should contact a lawyer (maybe your new company lawyer) and ask them to transfer your file from your old company. The INS needs to be informed of your new lawyer - there is form you need to fill out, call the INS - they can give you the form number.
(3) You can start working on EAD before your files are transferred
(4) You don't even need your new company lawyer - you can hire Atty Murthy or Rajiv Khanna or anyone else and transfer your files.

Re: Re: 180 days question

Originally posted by bugsbunny
I am in the same boat as you are - this is my experience
(1) You only need the EAD to start a new job - not I-140/I-485 apps.
(2) You should contact a lawyer (maybe your new company lawyer) and ask them to transfer your file from your old company. The INS needs to be informed of your new lawyer - there is form you need to fill out, call the INS - they can give you the form number.
(3) You can start working on EAD before your files are transferred
(4) You don't even need your new company lawyer - you can hire Atty Murthy or Rajiv Khanna or anyone else and transfer your files.

To inform abt new lawyer to INS, u need to fill G-28 form.