180 Day Portability rule - Article from Current Issue of Carl Shusterman - Comments PLS

mvg

7. 180 Day Portability Rule: Clearing Up Common Misconceptions
In November, I spoke at an immigration law seminar given by the Practising Law Institute in San Francisco. My topic was the "180 Day Portability" rule, also known as §106(c) of the American Competitiveness in the 21st Century Act (AC-21).
Although the rule is only two sentences long and is stated in simple English, employers and employees alike remain confused as to its meaning.

The law states that both labor certifications and employment-based visa petitions remain valid with respect to a "new job" where the INS fails to adjudicate an application for adjustment of status within 180 days "if the new job is in the same or a similar occupation as the job for which the "petition was approved" or the "(labor) certification was issued".

This seems simple, doesn\'t it? Of course, since there are currently no INS regulations interpreting the statute, reasonable minds may disagree about what the phrase "same or similar occupation" means. What if a software engineer becomes a senior software engineer? Not much of a stretch. However, if she becomes the VP for Software Operations, her attorney may have to do battle with the government to get her adjustment application approved.

A lot of people get confused when there is a change of

salary

However, since neither are limiting factors under §106(c), both the salary and the location of the applicant\'s new job should be irrelevant.
Others are confused about whether the rule applies where the applicant changes jobs before the 180-day period has elapsed. Again, the operation of the new rule is not affected by such changes. If an applicant for adjustment of status changes jobs 60 days into the 180-day period, she is home free as long as the INS takes over 180 days to decide the application.

The statute provides that the job offer is prospective only. However, case law imposes an "intent" requirement: An applicant must, at the time that an application for adjustment of status is submitted, have the intent to work for the petitioning employer indefinitely. If the applicant quits to work at a higher-paying job two days after the adjustment application is filed, the INS may seek to deny the application arguing that the applicant lacked the requisite intent at the time that the application was submitted. However, some people think that the rule requires the applicant to work for the petitioning employer for 180 days after the I-485 is submitted. It clearly does not.

INS\'s Policy Memorandum regarding AC-21, dated June 19, 2001, provides, on page eight, that "adjudicators shall not deny applications for adjustment of status on the basis that the alien has changed jobs. Under present practices, it is expected that an I-485 applicant notify the Service when they no longer intend to enter into employment with the employer who sponsored them on the I-140 petition. The Service should continue to expect the applicant to submit a letter to the INS of this change of intent... The Service should request a letter of employment from the new employer..."

In practice, an applicant who changes jobs after the I-485 has been submitted should send both letters to the INS by certified mail.

No Title

does it mean that
    employee is safe to quit the company that filed his green card before 180 days is over provided INS doesnot adjudicate his case within 180 days ?

what are the chances i485 will be adjudicated within 180 days?

JIM/ MARTA any comments?

Maybe

There are no final regulations implementing AC 21 so nothing is clear. After September 11, I think it very unlikely the INS will write a rule that would permit anyone who files an I-485 to quit their job virtually immediately, roam the country, and still be eligible for a GC. Sheela Murthy had been saying that AC21 permits this as long as the petition remains unadjudicated for 180 days and that AC21 was intended to punish INS for being slow but I felt it unlikely, even then (before September 11th), that INS would write a regulation that punishes itself. Sheela Murthy has since backed off of this position somewhat and CSC appears to be requiring people using AC21 to actually have worked for the sponsoring employer for six months after I-485 filing. What the final rules will actually say is anyone\'s guess, and my guess is certainly no better than anyone elses\', but in the absence of knowing I suggest that everyone stay put (assuming they have a choice) and not try to use a law that nobody can be certain what it actually means and how you use it.

Jim

I wish the above discusses the most common problem

The most common problem in this slow economy is being laid off after the 180 days have passed and not being able to find a job in the same category. But the person has an intend to work in the same category or with same company when the company re-hires him (when the economy improves).

So is the I-485 applicant denied the GC because she could not find a similar job after th 180 days and despite his intend to work in the same category if the economy improves?

Thanks

No Title

I think nowadays the big question is not of the interpretation of 106(c) of AC21 but of the possibility of finding a new job before one\'s I-485 is adjudicated. I know a couple of people who switched jobs (both voluntarily or involuntarily) after filing I-485 got their applications approved. However, most of them did not get an RRE or interview. So what if one gets laid off, fails to locate another job, and receives an RFE?

No Job=No GC

You must have employment to get an employment based GC. Lack of employment also raises public charge issues since nobody has filed an affidavit of support for you (affidavit of support is not required for the principal alien in an employment based GC, but there must be employment just like there must be a valid family relationship at the time of adjudication of a family based GC).

Jim

Great answer but what about the logic below

I will continue to find a job in the IT field. If I couldn\'t, I\'ll go to college FT in the IT field. May be this way, INS can think I am still interested and marketable in the IT. Being marketable is important because the GC is employment-based. This is important because the GC is for a future job; hence, no need to be working at the time of the interview.

GC is for future job, but

There needs to be a job, or the offer of a job at the time of the interview. If you cannot produce either a sponsoring employer letter or an AC21 employer letter, you will NOT get the GC.

I understand...thanks..

I know the reality now. So may be I can open my own IT business under somebody who might become my sponsoring employer. I hope that the IT business we open (me and partner) will be acceptable.. Thanks.

But How big should my new company be?

I am wondering int his tight economy if my friend opens an IT company for me, how much money should it cost in order to pass the interview. Is it OK to quickly open an IT web site on the net and get the green card upon the interview. I have been laid of for a couple of months and interview still not scheduled; I only received a letter saying I have an interview.

You\'re asking the right questions but there are no clear answers without regulations

Good Questions but they only raise other questions that are without answers. The questions raised are:

1: An employer must, at the I-140 stage, show the ability to pay the offered wage. Will this showing be required in a change of employer situation?

2: Significant ownership of the sponsoring corporation normally precludes Labor Certification since DOL doubts that the position is truly available to any US worker. Does ownership of the sponsoring corporation have any effect in a change of employer situation?

3: If a person can change to a new employer at the I-485 stage that either cannot show the ability to pay the offered wage, or is partially or completely owned by the alien, what steps, if any, will INS take to show that the initial filing was not a house of cards designed to get around these, or other, problems that would preclude approval of the GC?

Without regulations from INS implementing AC21, these questions cannot be answered.

Jim

a few doubts

Hi,
I think I am in a situation similar to what mentioned in this thread.
The company I was working with, shut down more than a month ago, and
now I am in a process of getting a job with another company in a week
or so. My I-485 was applied to VSC a week before closure of the
company. My next job going to be in Ohio. So, I guess the service
center will be different. Right now, I am still negotiating with the
new employer for salary, as I feared that anything below the salary
mentioned in the Labor Cert./I-140/I-485 will hurt my chances of
getting the I-485 stage approved.

Now my questions are:
1. Does moving to a state under juridiction of different service
   center can affect the I-485 stage ?
2. Also, Does working in a new job with less salary, create more
   problems ?

Thanks in advance for useful replies.

~WishfulMind

There are no regulations for AC21, but . . .

1. Does moving to a state under juridiction of different service
   center can affect the I-485 stage ?

It doesn\'t appear that there will be any effect.

2. Also, Does working in a new job with less salary, create more
   problems ?

As long as the salary isn\'t far below the salary listed you probably won\'t have a problem. A salary that is way below the salary offered in the LC could easily raise questions about whether the positions are really similar.

Jim

salary question..

Thanks, Jim. The problem with the my salary requirements is that,
I am moving to the midwest area, where the salaries are low,
compared to northeast areas like Boston. Moreover, the current
job situation doesn\'t give a job hunter, a good control over salary
negotiation. Given this scenario, I have to take a salary cut for my
next job ( 28% in absolute amount, and 13% relative using monster
salary calculator for people moving to different state).

Does this mean I will have a tough time convincing the INS about my
new salary ?

Regards,
bart007

Your guess is as good as mine Bart.

You may have problems, and you may not. Your logic sounds reasonable to me, just hope is sounded reasonable to INS. I don\'t see that you have much choice though. You need a job to support the employment based GC. My guess is that you\'ll be able to explain the salary discrepancy if questioned and as long as the position is similar in other ways you probably won\'t have an insurmountable problems.

Jim

To Bart and Jim M

According to Burt his sponsoring company applied for I-485 week before company shut down. How could AC 21 can protect employee in this kind of cases where the petition date to job change date is way below 180 days. Jim and Bart could you please add some more thoughts. Thanks.
MrMr.

This is a very good discussion for some serious issue.

No matter when I-485 is filed

For the millionth time, there is NO requirement that he work for the petitioning employer for 180 days. When he got laid off is irrelevant, all that matters is that the I-485 take over 180 days to ajudicate.

Then what is 180 days???

I am little confused with this discussion! Can anybody explain what are the real requirments to transfer to new employer after I-485 have been filed....

180 days

If the law allows us to switch jobs, immediately after applying 485, what\'s the document that we need to start working for new employer?.

Do we need to wait till we get our EAD?.