18 months outside won't affect N400 clock?

GenericLogin

I need to be outside the US for an extended period of time (over a year). At the end of this, I do want to come back and continue to live in the US.

The wrinkle: I am close to being able to file for naturalization and don't want the clock to restart.

After reading the rules, I am getting the impression that I can stay away for as long as 18 months if I time this correctly:

- I have to be in the US for only 6 months of the first yer
- I can file for a I-131 and stay outside the us for 12 months

Is this set of assumptions correct on my part?

PS: Please don't bother flaming me with a "if you don't intend to live here, don't live here" message. I am in a difficult situation and am trying to make the best of it.

i do not quite get your logic. the clock restarts once you are out of US for 6 months. but if you could meet this rule (coming back for a few days), you might could make it because you already have 30 months in US.

131 (re-entry permit) only help you be away from US for less than 2 years without trouble. it has nothing to do with counting residence. I am not sure.

Any single stay abroad for over 1 year definetely breaks the continuous residency requirement

Any single stay abroad for over 6 months also breaks the continuous residency requirement unless you can prove otherwise.