1485 to CP.

mastialaam

Registered Users (C)
applied I40, I485, EAD, AP, H1 7th year. Got approved EAD, AP and 140 for all of us (my sellf, wife and Son). Need to Change to CP (at Chennai). H1 is still pending and Still on H1 status. Did not use EAD (Myself and my wife). Wife is on H4.

1. Will Chennai consulate accept certified AC 140.

2. Can i have 1485 and convert to CP run parallel. And go to which one comes first.

3. If i convert to CP now. What is the time frame i get interview at Chennai.

Thanks.

Chennai accepts AC140 on a case by case basis depending on their workload. I have not seen any successful AC140 from chennai on this forum.

You could apply I-824 with CSC to convert from I-485 to CP. This process alone would take upto 10-12 months. You have to withdraw your I-485 petition. Only in AC140 case you could have I-485 process running in parallel.

My guess is that it takes 6-8 months to schedule an interview from Chennai consulate after the documents are received by them.

Applied I40, I485, EAD, AP, H1 7th year. Got approved EAD, AP and 140 for all of us (my sellf, wife and Son). Need to Change to CP (at Chennai). H1 is still pending and Still on H1 status. Did not use EAD (Myself and my wife). Wife is on H4.

---- Bombay accepts AC I-140 I don’t think Chennai accepts AC-140 you can send email to Chennai consulate and ask them
2. Can i have 1485 and convert to CP run parallel. And go to which one comes first.
------ no you can NOT have CP AND I-485 at the same time, you have to choose one option
----------- I don’t know

Note from Rajiv: INS has indicated that it will consider an I-485 to have been abandoned if an I-824 requesting Consular Processing is received by them

Originally posted by lcauser
Note from Rajiv: INS has indicated that it will consider an I-485 to have been abandoned if an I-824 requesting Consular Processing is received by them

This is of a good debatable topic.

Some lawyers saying the I-485 is still valid until the BCIS touches the I-824. Depending on service center its taking between 6 months to 10 months to touch the I-824. So one may have both I-485 and CP going on atleast for 6 months.

mastialaam regarding your AC21.

Ask your lawyer to send an email to Chennai consulate explaining your hard ships and asking if they accept your AC21. If they say they cannot accept it because of work load, then your lawyer can apply for AC21 at Mumbai Consulate, on the grounds that Chennai rejected your case because of workload. There are few cases where this worked.

Originally posted by mastialaam
applied I40, I485, EAD, AP, H1 7th year. Got approved EAD, AP and 140 for all of us (my sellf, wife and Son). Need to Change to CP (at Chennai). H1 is still pending and Still on H1 status. Did not use EAD (Myself and my wife). Wife is on H4.

Since 1 and 2 have been answered, I'll take on 3 :)

Assuming Chennae accepts your application.

The time frame depends on your I824 approval. For example in VSC 824 will take about 10-15 months (based on current approval trend for the past 3 months). After that 3 months for interview date. So 13-18 months.

hth
dyno

Thanks.

Since 1 and 2 have been answered, I'll take on 3

Assuming Chennae accepts your application.

The time frame depends on your I824 approval. For example in VSC 824 will take about 10-15 months (based on current approval trend for the past 3 months). After that 3 months for interview date. So 13-18 months.

hth
dyno

In case of AC140 one does not need to wait for the I-824 approval isn't it. Then its the wait time for interview only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by rk4gc
In case of AC21 one does not need to wait for the I-824 approval isn't it. Then its the wait time for interview only.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I beleive you meant AC140 ,here. AC21 is connected with any consulate process?

Originally posted by Participant
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I beleive you meant AC140 ,here. AC21 is connected with any consulate process?

Opps you are right, I'll correct my post.

Originally posted by rk4gc
In case of AC140 one does not need to wait for the I-824 approval isn't it. Then its the wait time for interview only.
No. If the applicant had opted for AC140 the applicant has to apply for 824. The general requirement is that consulate requires an 'approved 824' to process an employment based case. But many consulates do accept application with just the receipt of 824. Check the websites of the respective consulates or just call them.
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77425&highlight=AC140

hth
dyno

Re: CP in Chennai

Originally posted by worldcitizen
I heard that CP is not allowed in Chennai consulate. Is it true

No. Chenni accepts CP on a case to case basis. Call the consulate to confirm.

hth
dyno