140 Denied

Nadi,

She used EAD for employer B not with employer A who sponsered her H1B. I doubt she is in status now. Murthy mentioned in one of her chat session even though if u have valid I-94 if your 485 is denied then you are out of status.

Also for sp05, if 140 reopened does not mean that his/her AP/EAD valid. It remains invalid intil 140 approved.

Chat User : Can a person on AOS (nine months) using EAD to work, file H-1 again if the I-485 gets rejected due to a revoked I-140?

Attorney Murthy : Although a person may file the H1B again, if the person's H1B lapsed, then s/he cannot file an extension with the BCIS. The person is required to file for the H1B petition approval and then travel abroad and possibly apply for the H1B visa stamp at the consulate to reenter in valid H1B status. The BCIS has been denying these cases when the person was in AOS status in the interim, though it does not seem fair since AOS and H1B are supposed to demonstrate immigrant and nonimmigrant intentions which are consistent with the dual intent of H1Bs and L-1s and their dependents.

Chat User : Thanks for your great service. I'm off H1B. How long can I be out of status before I can apply for H-4?

Attorney Murthy : There is no legal "grace period" for a person after being terminated, laid off, or otherwise no longer working with the H1B-sponsoring employer. The BCIS may, in its discretion, allow about a 2-week lag, but has the right to deny the COS from H1B to H-4, even based on a few days' gap.

Chat User : Can H-4 dependents get back into status by going out of the country or do they need to go back to the home country and get a new visa?

Attorney Murthy : As long as the H-4 dependent was not unlawfully present for over 180 days, mere departure and reentry from another country (other than Canada or Mexico, unless the trip is longer than 30 days) may be sufficient to enable the person to get back into status upon obtaining a new I-94 card on entry. However, if the person was unlawfully present for even a day, the person is required to obtain a new visa stamp in the passport since any earlier visa stamp is deemed void and the person is required to apply for a new visa stamp in the home country only.

Chat User : What are the options if someone's H1B EOS is denied? Thanks.

Attorney Murthy : Generally, the person is required to travel abroad and reenter in a manner to obtain a new I-94 card. This assumes that the person did not stay beyond the date noted on the I-94 card. If a person overstays the date noted on the I-94 card, then the person is required by law to apply for a new visa stamp at the consulate abroad in the home country and may not apply for a visa in any other country in the world under law.

Chat User : Is it possible to go back to H1B while working on EAD? H1B (only used 3 yrs) expired on March 2003. Just want to know whether this option is still open or not.

Attorney Murthy : The BCIS takes the position that a person cannot file an extension of the H1B status after having been on EAD and after the H1B has expired. However, it should be possible to file the H1B with consular notification and then travel abroad, apply for a new H1B visa stamp at the consulate, and reenter on H1B status with the new I-94 card. There is a risk, though, that the BCIS may consider the person to have violated status based on submitting the old I-94 card upon departing the U.S., since the data entry clerk may not focus on the issuance of the AP, etc. Accordingly, the burden will lie with the H1B beneficiary to retain proof of having filed the I-485 with the AP and EAD to demonstrate having maintained lawful status throughout in the U.S.

Chat User : Hi. Is it legal for me to work while my EAD is expired (I applied for an EAD renewal a month before its expiry)? Is it legal to do an H-1 transfer at this state?

Attorney Murthy : The law states that if the EAD has expired, the person is not legally allowed to work until the new EAD is issued by the BCIS. If the H1B has not yet expired, then one may file an extension of the H1B petition and keep working while the extension of status is pending with the BCIS.

Chat User : Can a person working on EAD go back to H1B? Previous H1B status was not maintained, but H1B is not expired.

Attorney Murthy : Yes, that is possible. That may require the person to travel abroad and reenter using the prior H1B approval notice and the visa stamped in the PP, to enter on H1B status. The BCIS will not approve an extension or change of status from within the U.S., based on their latest interpretation of the law.

Spouse H-1b status

Here was our experience, hopefully will help.
I am main applicant and my husband is dependent applicant. Although he has EAD, but he is still working for the same company which is sponsor for his H-1b. We used AP to entered in US this year, and still he was able to get h-1b extension after we used our AP. So if your wife is stilling working for the same company, then she is not out of status.

I too had my EAD and AP and my I140 got denied in Sept 2004. My wife used her AP but never worked on EAD. But Me and my wife got our 7th H petitions approved after sending Receipt Notice of the Appeal.
I don't have much hopes with my Appealed I140 and therefore I filed another Labor last year which is in Backlog. July140, you should also file a new corrected I140 which mentions your degree as 3 yrs and your experince and certifications should count towards your degree asap.

My only concern was that on my wife's passport the immigration at the port of entry in Detroit stamped "Cancelled - Application Withdrawn" and I clarified from BCIS that she won't have any trouble getting a new stamp of visa on her passport.

3 year degree in computer science

Hi
One of my friend from India has 3 years degree in Computer science(BSc).His company applied for LC in DE in 2003 in EB3 and got approval. Then he applied for I-140 in VSC. His I-140 has been denied 3 times saying yours a 3 yr degree which is not equivalent to 4yr BS USA degree and they closed his case once for ever. But he again applied it to US Attroney General office in Washington DC back in Nov 2004. So for no receipt/progress. His H1B is ending in OCT 2005. So he is leaving the counrty with his wife/kids. Because his attroney very clearly told him that his I-140 will not be approved.
thx

eBhola said:
4 year degree requried at NSC -- Hmm

I argue--- 4 year degree is a requirement of labor... and not of NSC ... When the labor says degree in Comp NSC means it and other service centers are bit lenient about it.. Plus they are other things like combinations - equivalent etc which can make one eligible at NSC too...

So why don't the attornies whoes client are 3 year guys -- file the labor accordingly... Just ask for 3 year program instead of 4 years in labor.
Say an associate degree .. and well to do computer coding in .Net or Java some big companies are just asking for high school guys ... U don't have to be a computer engg guy to write a high level code in VB.NET...

I think guys like July140 are suffering because of attonies fault --- as they have just one standard wording in labor and advertisement...

Wonder why we pay them so much....

What do U say guys --- can't the a good tailor made labor save someone from NSC denial --- please give ur opnion -- ask every one around -- this will not only help July140 to take decision -- but other 3 years guys too.

No value for 3 yrs degree/Diplomas

Days are over no more 3 yr B.Com/B.Sc/ etc will be approved. Only with 4yr degree and or Master degree with sufficent amount of progressive experience in the IT field are getting approved after OCT 2002.
There may some cases in the past got approved but no more.
thx
july140 said:
Billtoo and everyone,

I am very very sad after waiting for a long time my case got denied. Since my wife used her EAD she is out of status now. I dont know how to handle this. She is working as a perm employee and we are struck now.

She changed her status from H4 to H1 and used EAD. Last month we used AP to enter. So she is out of status now. Do u guys have any idea how to get back to H1?

I have 1 and half year left and planning to appeal and do perm alos. My lawyer is saying we have more chances to get it approved once we appeal it. Lets see.

marooti,

What do u mean correct 140? Since the labor says US BS or MS then how will you refile 140 again? You mean to say file labor again?

I too had my EAD and AP and my I140 got denied in Sept 2004. My wife used her AP but never worked on EAD. But Me and my wife got our 7th H petitions approved after sending Receipt Notice of the Appeal.
I don't have much hopes with my Appealed I140 and therefore I filed another Labor last year which is in Backlog. July140, you should also file a new corrected I140 which mentions your degree as 3 yrs and your experince and certifications should count towards your degree asap.

shesharo12 said:
Days are over no more 3 yr B.Com/B.Sc/ etc will be approved. Only with 4yr degree and or Master degree with sufficent amount of progressive experience in the IT field are getting approved after OCT 2002.
There may some cases in the past got approved but no more.
thx

shesharo12,
What if the labor states -- want 3 year of college ... plus experience.

I think combination for degree + experience should work ---

The current field of denial is where the labor ask exclusively for computer science guys.

Whats Ur take on this ?

July140,
I confirmed with my friends --- Ur wife can use her old h1b -- if she goes and joins her old employee (H1b) and if the employee has not withdrawn her H1b.

And even if she applies for fresh H1b -- she will be not counted against the QUOTA ... as she has already taken up one of the spot... provided that the employer (H1b) has not withdrawn her H1b atleast 6 months (or 3 months) ago.

Confirm this with Ur lawyer and friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Billtoo,

I have tried to get an appointment in india and its very hard to get before December. What i was thinking since she has H4 visa on her PP and if she goes out to mexico or canada for just a visit and comes back using her H4 visa to get new I-94 without going to consulate. After that file H1 with Change of Status, so that she need not goto india and wait until December.

Do u guys think this is a good idea?

3 yr Degree and I-140 denial

Let me explain the real situation of my friend had. He finished his B.Sc Computer Science in April 1995 . Worked for a reputed Software Firm in Bangalore for 4+ yrs and came to USA in 1999. When his company applied for his labor, his attroney equiated his work experience + 3yrs degree equivalent for a 4 yrs USA BS degree(like arts, science). His company gave advertisement for BS degree(4yrs) with work description.After 7 months his labor was approved from DE. His company filed his I-140 in VSC back in Oct 2003 within a month his was rejected.REASON: "DEGREE IS NOT A 4 YR EQUIVALENT USA DEGREE". Again his company reopend the case back in MARCH 2004. Again rejected with same reason. His company reapplied and his I-140 got rejected in Jan 2005 3rd time in row. His company attroney applied this time to Washington DC (some federal agency dealing this kind of cases)for revival. No receipt/progress. All he was able to find out was, this kind of case is pending back to 2000. So he has plan to go to India some time this year, eventhough he has never been out of status. He can't appy for h1b extension as well.

Thx
Billtoo said:
shesharo12,
What if the labor states -- want 3 year of college ... plus experience.

I think combination for degree + experience should work ---

The current field of denial is where the labor ask exclusively for computer science guys.

Whats Ur take on this ?

July140,
I confirmed with my friends --- Ur wife can use her old h1b -- if she goes and joins her old employee (H1b) and if the employee has not withdrawn her H1b.

And even if she applies for fresh H1b -- she will be not counted against the QUOTA ... as she has already taken up one of the spot... provided that the employer (H1b) has not withdrawn her H1b atleast 6 months (or 3 months) ago.

Confirm this with Ur lawyer and friends.

shesharo12 ,

I think his company did a big mistake by reopening the case twice. Your friend should have asked them to file a new labor when 140 was denied first time.
Also as per Billtoo if your labor clearly says that your future employer will accpet combination of degree and work experience then there is no problem. They want to look for the word combination. I think most of the people wrote about this.

July140
I meant Labor.

july140 said:
marooti,

What do u mean correct 140? Since the labor says US BS or MS then how will you refile 140 again? You mean to say file labor again?

[/I][/COLOR]

Scary.... Friend of mine got I140 approved with only B.Com and no work experience. He was out of job and out of status for one year and got GC last two months ago.

What you are saying is that "People with 15 years of education should not apply for GC". Does this make sense?

shesharo12 said:
Let me explain the real situation of my friend had. He finished his B.Sc Computer Science in April 1995 . Worked for a reputed Software Firm in Bangalore for 4+ yrs and came to USA in 1999. When his company applied for his labor, his attroney equiated his work experience + 3yrs degree equivalent for a 4 yrs USA BS degree(like arts, science). His company gave advertisement for BS degree(4yrs) with work description.After 7 months his labor was approved from DE. His company filed his I-140 in VSC back in Oct 2003 within a month his was rejected.REASON: "DEGREE IS NOT A 4 YR EQUIVALENT USA DEGREE". Again his company reopend the case back in MARCH 2004. Again rejected with same reason. His company reapplied and his I-140 got rejected in Jan 2005 3rd time in row. His company attroney applied this time to Washington DC (some federal agency dealing this kind of cases)for revival. No receipt/progress. All he was able to find out was, this kind of case is pending back to 2000. So he has plan to go to India some time this year, eventhough he has never been out of status. He can't appy for h1b extension as well.

Thx

3 years Degree.

expeditegc said:
Friend of mine got I140 approved with only B.Com and no work experience. He was out of job and out of status for one year and got GC last two months ago.

Thats a good thing -- Ur friends attorney did a great job I guess -- like tailored every step to his needs...

This might be a good example and help to all the 3 years guys ...

Can U post little bit of details -- like about the labor application.

Thanks

guys,

my 140 was denied today at NSC...... :(

i hv only a year left. am planning to refile labor at TSC where i believe edu is not an issue. Can u believe that hv a BSc Phy and 1yr and 7 months of diplomas and 10 years of progressive work experience is not satisfactory enough at NSC? They denied my case stating that i had no sufficeint proof for rfe and that hv a non equivalent degree.............. :eek:

$.02- 3 year degree guys- file elsewhere cos NSC is on a different planet.....

It's right decision to file in another Service center. But do not use the same Labor or Same employer.

Because in 140 applications employer has to specify the previous 140 filing details if he refills for same employee. Then automatically service center opens previous case. Then automatically service center will make denial your case again as duplicate petition.

So file with different employer while filing in another service center.

rayman6 said:
guys,

my 140 was denied today at NSC...... :(

i hv only a year left. am planning to refile labor at TSC where i believe edu is not an issue. Can u believe that hv a BSc Phy and 1yr and 7 months of diplomas and 10 years of progressive work experience is not satisfactory enough at NSC? They denied my case stating that i had no sufficeint proof for rfe and that hv a non equivalent degree.............. :eek:

$.02- 3 year degree guys- file elsewhere cos NSC is on a different planet.....

duplicate filing

A0001,
Do you know anybody who has filed another 140 and got denied saying it is a duplicate petition?
My 1st 140 got denied because of 3 year engineering degree. I have filed another 140 now. I am afraid whether I might get denial like that. Can you give me full details about who got denied for duplicate filing.

Thanks.
A0001 said:
It's right decision to file in another Service center. But do not use the same Labor or Same employer.

Because in 140 applications employer has to specify the previous 140 filing details if he refills for same employee. Then automatically service center opens previous case. Then automatically service center will make denial your case again as duplicate petition.

So file with different employer while filing in another service center.

I belive case officers are changed in NSC. Recently in August there are number of 140 approvals with out any issue like earlier. this is the positive simptum.My expectation is that You may get the approval in September it self.

gcstruggler said:
A0001,
Do you know anybody who has filed another 140 and got denied saying it is a duplicate petition?
My 1st 140 got denied because of 3 year engineering degree. I have filed another 140 now. I am afraid whether I might get denial like that. Can you give me full details about who got denied for duplicate filing.

Thanks.