1040 instead of tax transcripts

samadss

Registered Users (C)
My mother-in-law is apply for AOS to apply for citizenship. Can we submit copy of tax returns instead of IRS tax transcripts?

She does not have any income, so we had filed $0 tax return in 2017 and 2018. We hadn't filed any tax return in 2019 and 2020. We are yet to file a return for 2021. We have secured tax transcript for 2018 from IRS, but we can not get any transcript for 2017 from IRS website because it does not go earlier than 2018.

So at this stage, should we go ahead and simply file late $0 return for 2019, 2020 and 2021 and attach their copies to her application? Or will USCIS insist that we wait for IRS to process her returns and issue us a transcript before we can file for her citizenship application?

Adjustment of Status is the process of getting a green card from within the US. Is your mother-in-law getting a green card or getting citizenship? If she is getting a green card, who petitioned her? Are you saying that the petitioner didn't have any income in those years?

sorry. She is a greed card holder and is now applying to get citizenship. So we are looking to attach my mother-in-law's tax returns to her citizenship application.

she is applying under 5 year rule. i understand that tax returns are a standard requirement for citizenship application.