10 year B2 visa expiring. How to reapply from the US, if possible?

lax100

My mother is visiting the US and she arrived here on Jan 13, 2020. She is booked to go back on July 4, 2020. Her 10 year multiple entry B2 visa is expiring in August. In normal circumstances she would apply for another B2 visa with a US consulate in India. But right now with the Coronavirus situation, we are not so sure when the flights would resume. In this situation, if need be, how would one go about applying for another visitor visa from the US so that she can apply for an extension of stay with her current I94? I think one needs to file I-539 for extending her stay.
Thanks in advance!

The actual visa application (renewal or new issue) can only be done at a US consulate/embassy outside the US. Your mom will therefore need to go through the US consulate in India for the visa renewal, which is a document used in seeking admission into the US.

The I-539 you referenced above is for seeking an extension of a current stay, it is not the same as applying for a new visa.

Yes, two separate things:
- visa is to enter, visa must be unexpired on day of entry
- i539, extending a stay, visa not necessary, passport must however be valid for the intended further length of stay. Note these have been taking a few months to adjudicate.

I‘d personally expect your mom should be able to fly home by July as planned.