TN Visa Application - Need Guidance

debargha.lodh

Hello once again,

My current employer is offering me an US employment and will be providing the required support letter. I have received my academics credentials assessments under WES - US equivalent. Need some guidance for the followings:

1. Since my masters was into Computers, I am planning to apply under the Computer System Analyst category. What are the key pointers I need to ask my HR to mention in the supporting letter ? Can someone share a sample supporting letter?

2. When to apply my spouse and child's TD visa ? Once my TN visa gets approved ?

3. I am planning to apply to the nearest Border Service at Ogdensburg, New York. Does anyone here have any experience with this place ? Do I need to take an appointment before hand to schedule the TN appointment ?

Regards,
Debargha

For the support letter from HR, it is important that they highlight your abilities and work history related to the Computer System Analyst field. This means mentioning your qualifications and experiences in detail. You might find examples of such letters on the internet or check with your employer if there is a usual template they use. You should apply for your spouse and child's TD visa after getting approval for your TN visa. Before you set a date for your TN visa meeting at the Ogdensburg Border Service, phone them to check if you need to make an appointment.

For the support letter from HR, it is important that they highlight your abilities and work history related to the Computer System Analyst field. This means mentioning your qualifications and experiences in detail. You might find examples of such letters on the internet or check with your employer if there is a usual template they use. You should apply for your spouse and child's TD visa after getting approval for your TN visa. Before you set a date for your TN visa meeting at the Ogdensburg Border Service, phone them to check if you need to make an appointment.
Thank you for replying and providing your inputs. Will look for sample support letter and will call the Border Service to check if I need an appointment.

There is no need to mention YOUR qualifications -- that are hiring your after all, so you are obviously qualified in their minds. TN is not a love letter. They MUST include job description. Period. You provide your educational qualifications, which, again, should not be mentioned in the letter. No experience letters or resume needed, since you have the degree.

If your dependents are Canadian citizens, you can get their TD statuses (no visas required) at the same time as your TN status is approved.

If any are not Canadian, the will need to make an appointment at a US consulate in Canada after you get your TN.

There is no need to mention YOUR qualifications -- that are hiring your after all, so you are obviously qualified in their minds. TN is not a love letter. They MUST include job description. Period. You provide your educational qualifications, which, again, should not be mentioned in the letter. No experience letters or resume needed, since you have the degree.

If your dependents are Canadian citizens, you can get their TD statuses (no visas required) at the same time as your TN status is approved.

If any are not Canadian, the will need to make an appointment at a US consulate in Canada after you get your TN.
Thank you for your key insights @nelsona !!
I will guide my HR to add the pointers that are required.
Yes, we are Canadian citizens, I will need to research what documents I need to carry along for my family for their TD status application.

Can you also share your thoughts regarding the followings:

1. Since my work might involve coding, configurations and solutioning, I believe it's still safe to apply under Computer System Analyst category ?
2. My spouse is working as a Early Childhood Educator in a Canadian school and we are wondering what are the options for her to look for once she wants to resume her career in US.

1. Yes.
2. TN is not available for teacher. Most school boards will not spend any money going thru the sponsorship of a foreign teacher. Be aware that working as a teacher in the US is nowhere near as nice as working in Canada, neither for the conditions nor the remuneration.

1. Yes.
2. TN is not available for teacher. Most school boards will not spend any money going thru the sponsorship of a foreign teacher. Be aware that working as a teacher in the US is nowhere near as nice as working in Canada, neither for the conditions nor the remuneration.
@nelsona - Thank you for confirming and sharing some facts.
What are the best possible options for my spouse, so that she become eligible to work in US?
If things go right for us, we might plan for long term stay and my wife would definitely want to work.

Your employer sponsoring you for green card thru work. At some point in the process she will get work authorization.
Got it. Once I have stayed in US under TN status, when it's recommended to reach out to my employer and ask them to initiate the Green Card application?

My current employer is offering me an US employment on TN Status and they currently don't sponsor GC, perhaps they might revisit that option in the future or I might look for an US employer who are ready to file it.
Can we initiate the GC application immediately after getting TN status or at least wait for a year and then apply for it ?