TN and TD Fees

LMBrian

My TN Visa expires in July 2020 and looking into the 2 different options to extend. My wife and 2 children are on TD status.

-Option 1: Employer File I-129 for me and we file I-539 X 3 (for my wife and children). Is correct that the TN cost will be circa $460 for myself and circa $455 for the 3 TD extensions? This would cost approx $1825!

-Option 2: All four of us fly to Canada for a weekend closer to the expiry date, meaning only cost would be $60 for my TN plus flights or are there extra fees or risks?

Your TDs would be one fee for all by mail.
I would fly to get TN, but simply mail-in TD, unless you have a planned family trip outside US in May/June.

2 last questions on this........hopefully..

As nelsona suggested, I'm looking at flying from here , (Orlando), to Toronto and get a new TN closer to the expiry date. Come back and file I-539 for wife and kids.
1. Is it better to file I-539 online rather than mail-in?
2. Both kids Canadian Passports expire March 2021. Is it better to apply for new Passports now rather than than be out the expense of filing for I-539 again next year?

It is always better to file online, but sometimes I-539 is not e-filable.
The USCIS, as oipposed to CBP, doesn't care about pasport expiry date. If you aske for 3 years, you will get three years regardless of expiry date.

Thank you again nelsona. I do find it all a little confusing sometimes, especially with all the different acronyms and their roles!