TN visa for Corp-to-Corp with US Company

rkmsnd007

Hi,

I am a Canadian Citizen currently getting a opportunity to work with a Company in US on a Corp-to-Corp basis. They are interested in getting me in a TN visa and preparing the paper work.

I have my own corporation here in Canada.

1) Can I corp-to-corp with a US company such that the US company pays my Canadian company directly and my company pays me ? I have some friends who say it is not possible and others say it is possible. A bit confused.

2) How do they need to word the TN invitation letter..i.e Mention that they have subcontracted with my Company XYZ to send me to US for services.

3) How is the taxation..Do I need to pay both US and Canada taxes.

Regards,
RKMSND

1. Yes. Your client is your sponsor.
2. They should mention this.
3. These q's are answered at forums.serbinski.com. If you move to US, you should probably set up a US corp. This will still allow TN.

Nelson...Are you saying Canadians can open US corp ? We are not allowed to work with Canadian company, if we move to US on TN Status ?

rkmsn007, ...could you share your experience please

For tax reasons, it would be foolish to have a Cdn corporation while living in US. that is why I stated (as part of a tax answer) that IF you move to US, you should probably set up a US corp. If having a Cdn corp were not allowed, I would have stated so. And if you weren't allowed to open a US corp, I would not have suggested.

Anyone can open up US corp anytime, without even setting foot in US.

Saivem, I have got a TN visa to work for a Consulting company in US. I am not moving to US..travelling every week from Canada Monday to Thursday. I have got a corp-to-corp arrangment with them i.e US company pays my Canadian corporation. I am not opening a US Corporation.

I am an engineer working for an engineering consulting firm as a full time employee. I heard about the corp to corp arrangement but was not sure if that can be done. Can anybody explain me the process then I can move back to Canada and set up my Canadian corp and work through the corp to corp arrangement on TN. Appreciate any help in advance.

If you move back to Canada, you won't need TN, and would simply work as any other self-employed worker in Canada.

If you stay in US, and wish to be a contractor instead of an employee, you simply have your sponsor write a TN letter outlining the arrangement, be it self-employed or corp-to-corp.

Thanks for your reply. By moving back, I waned to mean that I will be based out of Canada (Canadian resident) working through the corp to corp arrangement. However, I will still need the TN since I will have to report here (physically present in the office in US) 1 week in every 2 weeks.