H1 Visa Revalidation Experiences - Mumbai Consulate

for mumbai consulate. do we need to submit documents in advance. if so, how many days in advance? pl. help.

H4 visa expired, don't have I-797 approval

All,

My wife's H4 (along w/ my H1) has expired (on 09/30/2006) and we did not apply for her H4 extension (I do have my H1-B extension approval). We are planning to go to Mumbai consulate for H stamping in January.

Do you guys think it would cause any problem for my wife to obtain her H4 visa (I am going as well) since she overstayed in US for about 2 months after her visa expiry without an H4 extension approval in her name?

If you think it would cause a problem, should I apply for her H4 extension now? I am afraid INS will reject the application since it is made after the H4 visa expiry.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jignesh

Last edited by a moderator:
hopefully No. you will have more problems if she had overstayed 6 months after her I-94 expired.
OOPS !! I thought you had applied for her extension already !! if not then do it soon or consult a lawyer ..I remember reading something in murthy.com about H4 ..you have to apply for her extension too.
if 1 year passes after I-94 date then she maynot be able to enter the country for 10 years ..6 months after expiry she cannot re-enter for 3 years ....consult lawyer soon if you are in this situation

I have a related question ..wonder if anyone knows the answer. my H-1 is expiring in jan 07 (stamping on passport too). h-1 extension has been applied. say I get H-1 extension approval in dec 06 ..do I need to get my visa stamped in passport ..(I dont know how much the waiting period is at consulate). if I show approval paper to immig person when I come back ..will he give me I-94 (departure record) valid till jan 2008 or till jan 2007 (and ask me to go to a consulate outside of usa) Thanks !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
H1-B Renewal Visa Stamping in Mumbai

Hi, I am on my 8th year extention, LC is cleared in September '06, waiting for lawyer to apply for I-140.

I have to make an unplanned trip to India sometime mid December. I will be going to Mumbai consulate.

Kindly let me know....

- how to get the appointment
- how to pay the fee & how much is it
- what all documents I have to take along with me on the interview date
- or do I have to submit papers before the appointment date, if yes, how many days in advance
- what kind of questions they ask
- any suggestions

Thanks
Pari

Got H1 approval and going H1 visa stamping for first time in Mumbai, what to expect ?

Hi,

I currently based in India. I got my new H1 approval 3 months ago and going for H1 visa stamping for the first time at the Mumbai consulate appt in about 2 weeks.

Would like to know :
- what are ALL the documents that i need to carry ?
- what questions that i can expect ?
- Any procedures that i need to be mentally prepared for ?

Are there any cases where H1's visa's are rejected ?

Thanks a lot

Travel to India for stamping

Hi, I am planning to visit India next month, while I am there I am going to go for my H1-B stamping for 8th year. I am not sure which route to select as I am anware of which country requires a transit visa, please let me know if the following route needs any kind of visa if the H1-b is not stamped on passport

- via London
- via Paris
- via Milan
- via Zurich, Switzerland
- via Dubai
- via Frankfert
- via Moscow

Thanks!

H4 Revalidation - Please Help

Hi All,

I & My wife came to US in June 2003 through company A. I Changed 3 employers i.e. B,C,D. Company D is bought by Company E. Presently i am employed with Company E.

Now my wife wishes to go india next year but i see following issues:

1) H1/H4 Petition that we hold presently is of Company D.
2) I still have an expired stamping on my passport of Company A as i havent left us since i came in 2003.

Will she have problems in getting her H4 re-validation?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Cas

successful stamping in mumbai

hi all

I did my H1 stamping yesterday at mumbai consulate.
Since i have I 140 approved I got 3 year extention beyond 6th year. Th VO did not ask many questions.
name of company, where is it based, what is my designation, how many years with this company. is the company paying me all that they are supposed to etc. She did not ask for any documentation other than H1 notice of approval. She did not ask for even H4 notice of wife and kid. It took about 5 min. I went and got the PP in the evening from VFS
I wish to thank all the members if this forum who helped.

dhm2002

My wife will be going to india in about a month. Her H4 visa on passport has expired, however she has a valid I-797. H1-B visa on my passport has expired as well. I have already completed my 6 yrs on H1B and currently on 7th yr H1B extension. Has any one got H4 visa re-stamped in India with a copy of expired H1B visa stamp on Spouse's passport?
I talked to my attorney and I was told that there is a 50% chance of getting H4 visa stamp with expired H1B stamp on Spouse's passport if my wife goes alone.
I have read a few recent posts in this forum and it looks like some of them will be travelling to india or have already travelled to india with expired visa. It would be very helpful if you guys could enlighten us with your/ your spouse's H4 visa revalidation experience.

Thanks,

Pari0104 said:
Hi, I am planning to visit India next month, while I am there I am going to go for my H1-B stamping for 8th year. I am not sure which route to select as I am anware of which country requires a transit visa, please let me know if the following route needs any kind of visa if the H1-b is not stamped on passport

- via London --- PROBLEM
- via Paris --- PROBLEM
- via Milan --- NO PROBLEM AS FAR AS I AM AWARE
- via Zurich, Switzerland - DO NOT KNOW
- via Dubai --- IF ONLY STOP IS DUBAI THAN NO PROBLEM
- via Frankfert --- PROBLEM
- via Moscow --- NO PROBLEM AS FAR AS I AM AWARE

You forgot Amsterdam. It is no problem.

Thanks!

Even i am in same situation as your's and my wife is planning to goto india. I have read couple of forums and found that it is possible for H4 to get visa stamped without Primary H1 stamped on passport. But there are mixed reaction to this issue there are couple of cases where H4 visa was rejected as primary visa was not stamped. But i think if you have all paperwork and if you havent been out of status then consulate has no reason to reject H4 and i have seen example of couple of H4 stamping in the forum. Hope this helps.

CAS

cas said:
Even i am in same situation as your's and my wife is planning to goto india. I have read couple of forums and found that it is possible for H4 to get visa stamped without Primary H1 stamped on passport. But there are mixed reaction to this issue there are couple of cases where H4 visa was rejected as primary visa was not stamped. But i think if you have all paperwork and if you havent been out of status then consulate has no reason to reject H4 and i have seen example of couple of H4 stamping in the forum. Hope this helps.

CAS

hi
somebody had sent mail to mumbai or delhi consulate about this. they replied that it is "advisable" to have H1 stamped along with H4 or H1 should be stamped before so even they are not willing to commit either way. probably depends on the VO

dhm2002

I-129 petition original or copy for h1 visa revalidation interview

Hi All,

One of the documents mentioned in the list of required documents
for h1 revalidation is I-129 the H1 petition

Does this have to be original or a photocopy is acceptable ?

Does anyone have any experience with this at the mumbai consulate ?

inqsit

Stamping Done at Mumbai Consulte

Hi All:

I had my visa stamping done last week of Jan. I was not asked lot
of questions. My appointment was at 12:30. By the time I reached the
consulate it was about 1:15 (courtesy vfs shuttle) Then
went through a security check and was in the waiting area of the consulate
at around 1:45.
Once inside there is no concept of interview time. People were being called
at random for an interview. There was someone sitting next to me
whose interview appt time was 10:30!!

anyways at around 2:15 my token number (along with about 7 others) was called for an interview at a window. I realized that all were H1/H4 visa
applicants. I was second last in the queue. I noticed that the visa
officer was not asking many questions and all the applicants before me
were out in 3-4 minutes.

When I entered the interview booth, these were the questions asked.

Which company do I work for
How much was my salary
Since how many years I have been working with them

Thats it.

The visa officer did not ask for any documents at all.

Though I recommend carrying everything as mentioned
on their site and in this thread.

I think copy of I-129 petition should be fine (in reply to my own question
earlier !!)

Anyways the interview was over in 3-4 minutes

Good luck to all

inqsit

Need Help

Hello,
I am planning to go to Mumbai Consulate in a month or 2 for H1 stamping.I have 3 years H1 extension on the basis of 140 approval.Could someone please send me the link or list of documents required for H1 stamping.

Did anyone face any problem of any kind.

Would appreciate if you could advise me on this one.

Thanks.

:eek:

ON THE DAY OF INTERVIEW:
Please be at the Visa Hall entrance, not more than 15 minutes before your appointed time.
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE INTERVIEW:
Principal Applicant
1. Passport, visa fee receipt issued by HDFC bank and interview appointment letter.
2. L1 Blanket Visa applicants are required to pay a demand draft for Issuance Fee for Rs.23000/- favouring “American Consulate General, Mumbai”. DDs drawn on co-operative banks are not accepted
3. The original Notice of Action (Form I-797).
4. If Form I-797 is a blanket permit, copy of Form I-797 and original Form I-129 and original letter from employer that describes your proposed duties.
5. Original letters verifying your employment history and specific work skills.
6. Original degree certificates along with mark sheets.
7. Relevant diplomas or certificates, e.g. computer certification

For all those worried about H-1 stamping in Mumbai after a class 1 misdemeanor
:)
I had answered yes to the question on arrest. My case was only of reckless driving but only I knew that, not the officer at the consulate.
Inspite of my answering YES , I was not queried at all about the arrest.
Just basic questions about my work place and if I had filed for green card and thats it. I was through in less than 3 minutes.Nothing whatsoever about the misdemeanor or arrest.

I got my passport the same evening with my H-1b stamp. I waited many years to return to india for my stamping because i thought it would take 6-8 weeks after you have answered YES to the arrest question. But it was just too easy.

All the best ....

Submit documents in advance?

Hi,
Can anyone who has gone through the process at Mumbai consulate please tell us if we need to submit the documents in advance?
I am in US and planning to go for the interview next day after i reach there. I thought I can carry all the documents with me. Is that correct? Thanks in advance

For all those worried about H-1 stamping in Mumbai after a class 1 misdemeanor
:)
I had answered yes to the question on arrest. My case was only of reckless driving but only I knew that, not the officer at the consulate.
Inspite of my answering YES , I was not queried at all about the arrest.
Just basic questions about my work place and if I had filed for green card and thats it. I was through in less than 3 minutes.Nothing whatsoever about the misdemeanor or arrest.

I got my passport the same evening with my H-1b stamp. I waited many years to return to india for my stamping because i thought it would take 6-8 weeks after you have answered YES to the arrest question. But it was just too easy.

All the best ....

Document submission in advance requirement

Hi,
Can someone please let us know if we need to submit the documents in advance to VFS if we are planning to visit mumbai consulate for revalidation (status:already working in US)..
THANKS