Applying passport for the first time..

srinadh

Wondering clarifications from whoever has applied for US passport.
1. Do we need to submit our original Citizenship certificate and Birth Certificate? The passport agent at the post office returns the original to us after verifying its originality? OR we need to send the original with the application to the Agency and Agency would send back originals with the passport?
2. Do we need to notarize photocopy?
3. Do we need to submit secondary Evidence also in addition to the above two documents?

While applying for kids through naturalization of parents:
1. Do we need to submit original Citizenship certificate and Marriage Certificate? OR the passport agent at the post office returns the original to us after verifying its originality?

If we are applying together as family, AND if we need to send originals with the application to the agency, how can we submit original citizenship certificate for our application and kids' application at the same time?

We did ours at the post office, naturalized parent plus kid that automatically naturalized. Yes they need original documents - the naturalization certificate of parent plus birth certificate of child both get sent in, and returned later from the passport agency after the passports are issued. They come in separate envelopes from the passports, sometimes same day as passport but usually a week or two later. Child’s green card must also be handed in, that does not get returned but you get a letter from the passport agency confirming they have kept the green card.
The person at the post office did all the copies we needed. We didn’t get anything notarized.

We did ours at the post office, naturalized parent plus kid that automatically naturalized. Yes they need original documents - the naturalization certificate of parent plus birth certificate of child both get sent in, and returned later from the passport agency after the passports are issued. They come in separate envelopes from the passports, sometimes same day as passport but usually a week or two later. Child’s green card must also be handed in, that does not get returned but you get a letter from the passport agency confirming they have kept the green card.
The person at the post office did all the copies we needed. We didn’t get anything notarized.
Thank you very much for the reply! Appreciate it.

Say, I have citizenship certificate. I am applying for myself and one of kids. HOw can I submit one citizenship ceritificate of mine for these two applications? OR all the applications of the family get sent to the agency together in one single package?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the reply! Appreciate it.

Say, I have citizenship certificate. I am applying for myself and one of kids. HOw can I submit one citizenship ceritificate of mine for these two applications?
We submitted at the same time and the lady at the post office said she’d send the applications together and that would work. I don’t recall if she made a copy but, it was fine.

I only send my father’s naturalization copy at post office not the original. Will my passport application will get denied ? I am a child of a US citizen and got my automatic naturalization derived by my father. they got my original of (foreign) birth certificate.

I only send my father’s naturalization copy at post office not the original. Will my passport application will get denied ? I am a child of a US citizen and got my automatic naturalization derived by my father. they got my original of (foreign) birth certificate.
The person at the post office did not ask for the original? I think you can expect to get a request from the passport agency to send them the original before they will process it. I don’t believe they will just deny it outright.

Oh my god i have been telling my dad to just send the original not a freaking copy and he said he’s scared that his original copy will never comeback.

Dear @SusieQQQ ,

I was applying for a US passport for my newborn kid. I was wondering if there is a spreadsheet for this similar to the one provided for AOS process? Or if I'm in the wrong thread?

Thanks!

Last edited: